For those having trouble with overheating generators

There's been talk about how broken coal generators and other buildings are for overheating and I have to admit I wasn't expecting it when I fired up the Thermal Update for the first time. The problem was so easy to solve though.

These coal generators have been running constantly since first built by just pouring water on them. The hydrogen generator runs only occasionally.

This is all built in the starting biome using nothing but copper and sandstone. The water is sitting at around 21 degrees. You don't even need the ice biome to keep it stable.

I now use this build in the very early game to rush up to super computer.

I don't consider myself smart at this game. I have seen other people create amazing gadgets like the hydrogen bubbler but it only took 5 minutes to set up this water cooling and test that this would work. We already have the tools to cope with these things.

So before declaring things stupid/broken/useless take a step back, look for a solution and have fun.

watercoolingthermal.png

watercooling.png

earlysupercomputerthermal.png

earlysupercomputer.png

In the coal generator example the pump above the four batteries is ejecting everything but oxygen in to a large cavern on the right. The base itself is generally clean.

You're right though I should have dealt with it earlier as even the cavern outside the base is becoming over pressurised with carbon dioxide.

The super computer base was just a rush job to show off the cooling.

This 'pour water on coal generator' really doesn't work. Tried to pour water on generator and dig little trench to keep water in it. It was most successful attempt though as  coal generator lasted the longest time but eventually it did overhead. I also never had problems with overheated hydrogen generator.

4 hours ago, AliVaja said:

This 'pour water on coal generator' really doesn't work. Tried to pour water on generator and dig little trench to keep water in it.

And did you check the temperature of the water you were dripping?

1 hour ago, Vilda said:

And did you check the temperature of the water you were dripping?

Well no, but I don't believe it was over 30C. Anyway, an update to my last post. Dripping water on coal generator what does seem to cool it down, not  keeping it in trence. I think this is just stupid and requires way more setup than it should, since it is power generator that you get pretty early in the game.

Archived