It would be super awesome if there was a way to generate coal. I had a sustainable way to generate oxygen but unfortunately I ran out of coal. 

I'm not sure how the process for creating it would go but it's just an idea 

If you capture hatches and keep a storage container filled with a resource you don't need within reach of them, they will eat out of the container every night and produce coal. I haven't worked out yet the best ratio for hatches and coal production/consumption, but its a start at least. Remember, they need natural tiles to burrow into during the day.

8 hours ago, azzaisme said:

It would be super awesome if there was a way to generate coal. I had a sustainable way to generate oxygen but unfortunately I ran out of coal. 

I'm not sure how the process for creating it would go but it's just an idea 

I'm genuinely curious as to how you managed to finish it. My coal generators keep getting broken (and its energy production doesn't make up for the resources lost repairing it, though that last bit is just me rambling...)

20 minutes ago, Yokhen said:

I'm genuinely curious as to how you managed to finish it. My coal generators keep getting broken (and its energy production doesn't make up for the resources lost repairing it, though that last bit is just me rambling...)

If you place your Coal Generators in the ice biome they are much less likely to Overheat, but I'm unsure if there's any benefit to placing them on Granite or Wolframite over tiles, or how far into the biome they need to be placed for cooling down to be more powerful than their heating up. Also, if you make them out of Gold Amalgam their Overheat and Meltdown limits increase

7 hours ago, MousesDonkey said:

If you capture hatches and keep a storage container filled with a resource you don't need within reach of them, they will eat out of the container every night and produce coal. I haven't worked out yet the best ratio for hatches and coal production/consumption, but its a start at least. Remember, they need natural tiles to burrow into during the day.

This is my base. Coal generators on the right in the ice biome, oxygen gen down in the bottom left. It works not that I have found more coal. Unfortunately for me I killed all of the hatches at the start as they kept attacking my guys. My set up works I just ran out of coal for a little too long.

I wish we could convert some of the super abundant materials like clay or dirt into coal as I have way too much of both and nothing to use it on. Maybe liquefying dirt could be a process but in all honest I really don't know.

Kill my dupes in a super high pressure biome for like 5 cycles could do it. (It's how we did it with the dinosaurs) 

fgMBNp1.jpg

21 minutes ago, TopSloth said:

Might just be unlucky but my worlds generate very little coal. Btw azzaisme how did you get a full pic of your base?

Not sure what you want to use coal for really. It's not a sustainable energy source and is generally more trouble than it's worth both in the short, middle and long term. The only real use is that coal generators produces copious amounts of clean CO2 which is useful as a cooling agent when liquefied but as soon as you have a stock of 10-12 squares worth of liquid CO2 it becomes rather pointless again.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Not sure what you want to use coal for really. It's not a sustainable energy source and is generally more trouble than it's worth both in the short, middle and long term. The only real use is that coal generators produces copious amounts of clean CO2 which is useful as a cooling agent when liquefied but as soon as you have a stock of 10-12 squares worth of liquid CO2 it becomes rather pointless again.

For me it's just a good boost of power when I have the material.

43 minutes ago, TopSloth said:

Might just be unlucky but my worlds generate very little coal. Btw azzaisme how did you get a full pic of your base?

I stopped the game from being in full screen and stretched it across 2 monitors. I then just print screened it. Easy.

You could also stitch more than one image together but I won't go into explaining that. 

Just as a side note, I am addicted to this game.

59 minutes ago, azzaisme said:

Just as a side note, I am addicted to this game.

Same

As a side-note by the way: I assume that Coal Generators consume the Coal by burning it, but shouldn't they in that case consume Oxygen as well, not just create CO2? I'm aware Coal Generators are super underpowered in the Thermal Upgrade, but it would make more sense as fire needs Oxygen to eh... burn

3 hours ago, UnSigNed said:

If you place your Coal Generators in the ice biome they are much less likely to Overheat, but I'm unsure if there's any benefit to placing them on Granite or Wolframite over tiles, or how far into the biome they need to be placed for cooling down to be more powerful than their heating up. Also, if you make them out of Gold Amalgam their Overheat and Meltdown limits increase

They are deep into the ice biome, but it's EITHER them getting flooded by melt ice as well as other items on the ground (effectively becoming somehow saturated and not working until all that is cleared up - had to find out through trial and error, no message or anything telling me something was wrong) OR removing all the ice and closing the place up, which is my case, but then I already told you what happens. That Golden Amalgam suggestion might come in handy TBH.

16 minutes ago, Yokhen said:

They are deep into the ice biome, but it's EITHER them getting flooded by melt ice as well as other items on the ground (effectively becoming somehow saturated and not working until all that is cleared up - had to find out through trial and error, no message or anything telling me something was wrong) OR removing all the ice and closing the place up, which is my case, but then I already told you what happens. That Golden Amalgam suggestion might come in handy TBH.

Give them a tileroof and dig out the area below them to gather up melted ice, leave the sides open for cold air. Gold Amalgam is currently the only ore with that kind of benefit to it, but as we are able to make power-buildings off of Wolframite I assume they will add a benefit to those as well, though they currently don't have one

I have to say I didnt use coal gens (mostly to avoid CO2 but apparently heat is more of an issue) in the thermal upgrade. I have 90k Coal stored and plenty more on the map. I'm using a Hydrogen gen. and the basic wheels.

2 hours ago, UnSigNed said:

Same

As a side-note by the way: I assume that Coal Generators consume the Coal by burning it, but shouldn't they in that case consume Oxygen as well, not just create CO2? I'm aware Coal Generators are super underpowered in the Thermal Upgrade, but it would make more sense as fire needs Oxygen to eh... burn

I agree, you could tweak the power return a bit to balance the oxygen consumption.

4 hours ago, azzaisme said:

Unfortunately for me I killed all of the hatches at the start as they kept attacking my guys.

The hatches only attack when you dig them up and if your dupes flee they will stop then look for another place to burrow. If you turn off the combat in the job tabs for the dupes, they wont automatically fight back. They may get a little hurt, but usually not much.

I know this doesn't help now, but if you have to start over, it's something to try. I can't tell you how many times I had to restart before I was able to even sustain to cycle 100.

5 hours ago, azzaisme said:

My set up works I just ran out of coal for a little too long.

Im sure there is more coal, you just have to uncover the whole map. I have survived going on 400 cycles now and i still have around 90k of coal left + around 10k coal that i cant access due to me playing around with the steam geyser which already killed 4 of my dupes when i was trying to contain it. 

Anyway, i think they should introduce trees as a plant so that we can convert that into charcoal and use it as fuel. Maybe they would require a lot of water to grow because water seems nearly useless (in my setup anyway).

edit: Or regular plants would leave leftover matter and then that could be used to create charcoal.

I would be able to get even more if I knew what to do with chlorine.

It might also be worth stating that I have reached one side of the map and found more coal but then I have an oxygen problem. 

It would be nice of they had the start if biome spawn randomly around us just like the other biomes. I understand why they don't. The game isn't supposed to be easy 

6 hours ago, MousesDonkey said:

The hatches only attack when you dig them up and if your dupes flee they will stop then look for another place to burrow. If you turn off the combat in the job tabs for the dupes, they wont automatically fight back. They may get a little hurt, but usually not much.

I know this doesn't help now, but if you have to start over, it's something to try. I can't tell you how many times I had to restart before I was able to even sustain to cycle 100.

Well this is my second game. I gave up around cycle 40 because they had started throwing up. 

Is there any way to find new hatches or make them? I heard with morbs if your character died it makes a morb.

I'll do as others have suggested and expand my reach.

Looks like they updated the game and now hatches won't eat out of the container anymore, so it adds a bit more management. I still keep a container there with what I don't need, but now every time the cycle starts over, I sweep everything in their pen, then open the container menu, deselect and then reselect the resource. That causes it to spit it out again, so its laying there for them to eat. just a little more work is all I guess.

Also, all of them vomiting isn't necessary a reason to quit. I'm on a game now that is up to 170 cycles, and somewhere around 80 something went horribly wrong, they all got 100% stressed, and all but one dupe died, and somehow I am back up to a functioning base for the most part.

Archived