Fluid interaction

I had an interesting interaction between polluted and clean water.  Since clean water floats on polluted water it can apparently force it to not flow.

20170320030605_1.jpg

There was a wall next to the right set of ladders that I removed.  The thin later of clean water on top of all the polluted water stopped it from spreading out evenly.  This state was stable for at least a cycle (when I stopped for the night).  Of course, I'm guessing if I started adding more liquid in it could break it.

Yes, liquid surface tension is wacked and needs some adjustments.  Polluted water is denser than water so it is always below water.  You can break up your situation by adding more water.  It will introduce turbulence that breaks up the surface tension.  However, the current surface tension is very useful for making liquid seals.  I just hope when they make adjustments that liquid seals will still work.

The upside is you can exploit this mechanic to your advantage.  You can safely store polluted water with water, until they make the former transform the latter into more of itself.  In addition, since polluted water is always below water, you can keep the two in the same tank in your nice oxygen rich base without any unsightly polluted oxygen sublimation from the polluted water since it never comes into contact with the oxygen.  You can also make a seal at the bottom of the tank to only drain polluted water when you open a door.  Their properties are very useful.

I'd also like to see water surface tension hugely reduced. It just feels too viscous right now. I suspect it's partly this way so the physics are less demanding, but as the game is optimised I'm sure there'll be more room for better modelling. Fingers crossed.

I'm fine with the way fluid mixing works though. I think the game would be too punishing if one stress vomit or other mishap could poison your entire fresh water supply.

Archived