Basic strategies for new players

1 hour ago, Luckcu13 said:

You're talking about me, yes? I didn't intend to insult Captain C., I wanted to convey my belief that new players should be able to recieve optimal advice. I was being blunt, and if I have insulted him badly, my apologies. My point about not properly exploring still stands, however. 

Not particularly, no! But it IS worth pointing out that Capt. never recommended that new players camp next to beefs, play as Wes, or forego exploring the map. They just like rabbit traps.

3 hours ago, Vixrotre said:

In my opinion setting close to a beefalo herd (obviously not right next to them, just somewhat nearby) is good advice? Maybe because I always make a base somewhat close to them. 

1. You'll need wool from them for winter clothing. 

2. They produce manure you'll constantly use on your farms and bushes. 

3. If you have problems killing a giant, or hounds, or you just don't feel like losing precious time soloing, you can run straight to the beefalo and have the problem dealt with without losing any loot (as in meat).

4. They're easy to bait away from the herd (just feed them grass and they'll follow you) and not too hard to kill. They drop a good amount of meat and sometimes a horn, which can be used to craft a beefalo hat that not only will keep you warmer during winter, but also makes in-heat beefalo not attack you.

I don't think anyone said "Set up in the middle of a beefalo herd", that's obviously wrong, but if you set up 2 days of walking distance away from beefalo, especially if you're new to the game, that could be the death of you. Beefalo have all you need. Protection, food, materials to help you survive winter and get more food. What's not to like? 

When they rage and kill you for one. (I know you mentioned hat - that's an unnecessary workaround imo for a less than ideal situation to begin with. Also we are discussing new players who may not know about hats?) 

For another, when you don't develop the skills you need to sustain you in caves, or situations where you are bereft of your beefy pals. Again original intent is to teach new players

For third, farms have been consistently proven to be a "trap" of sorts in terms of reliable food production as compared to other far superior sources.

Not saying you're a bad person, or making any value judgement on you whatsoever for that matter, but it's not the stoutest of advice.

*Edit* - Read more of the thread and saw you modified your stance about base location somewhat. I still stand by the fact that it is not great advice.

Archived