Basic strategies for new players

Remember we're talking about "BASIC" strategies, not how to survive 1000 days, rather how not to die during the first week. :p

So with this in mind...

READ ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER. Yeah, sure, it's fun to explore that little cute cartoon you picked as your hero, but all of the characters in DST have perks, cons, and special abilities. Reason I'm saying this is because I've seen way too many Wigfrids trying to eat cooked carrots, and because my friend who plays Wendy since forever didn't know how to spawn Abigail.

I actually think one trap is a good idea.  Rabbits are easy.  Get between the rabbit and it's hole, place the trap between you and it, circle around and approach it from an angle -- then watch it run for it's hole, right into the trap.  Bang, you're done.  Total process takes about 5 seconds real-life.  After you're done .. . ....   well ... 

Just keep moving.  (and use the trap on spiders or more rabbits later, whichever you come upon first)

If you're new;

Bases get set up ~Day 7-10. Don't ask where the base is before then. Actually, it's better if you never ask EVER. It's pretty annoying.

If somebody is making a crock pot dish and they run some errands before they take it from the crock pot, DON'T EAT IT.

If you go as WX-78, don't eat all the gears, ice box is prioritized (or Ice Fling-o, if spring)

If you have found the base, and have done all the things said above...

On day 14, begin preparing for winter. Adventure out for meat, beefalo wool, and a koalefant trunk. Once you've acquired a breezy vest and winter hat, you can begin mining down rocks for a thermal stone. These three items will keep you warm in winter long enough.

If you can't find beefalo fast enough, continue looking until it's day 21. If you've still come up with nothing, set up traps and obtain some earmuffs. You can use these until you find a beefalo location.

Meanwhile, start drying your meat.

I'll continue later. 

You can spend all that time with Rabbits, or you can make armor, kill a Hound, then tank all the Buzzards. You'll be drowning in meats you might as well make B&E over getting optional filler for Meatballs.

Unless there's a way to exploit Rabbits that doesn't involve chasing after or trapping them, they're way too costly (especially in time) for Morsels considering there are better things to put Trap components toward (considering picking animation).

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

There's nothing wrong with trapping rabbits!  But because the trap is one of the few things you can make right out of the gate, it gives novice players the impression that this should be their first source of food. I did nearly starve a few times as a beginner at single player trying to do this, and then when I finally caught one, it was with great frustration that I realized it gave no more hunger than a carrot. 

It seems an especially dangerous way to start off as Wigfrid since she can't forage for plant foods when the rabbits turn out to be so meager a food source, although the OP gives the impression that they're essential.

Never said rabbits were essential.  I just said that you need to make a Prestihatitator down the line anyway and they aren't that hard to catch.  I even said that I understood why people prefer spiders and frogs, and that I myself tend to go after spiders (for meat, SILK, AND GLANDS) and frogs (they come to you).  Though I still understand that many new players don't really think to catch spider for food or frogs in a net (many just go after them with a pickax), so I can understand how rabbits in a crockpot could be important for them.  

1 hour ago, Vixrotre said:

Remember we're talking about "BASIC" strategies, not how to survive 1000 days, rather how not to day during the first week. :p

So with this in mind...

READ ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER. Yeah, sure, it's fun to explore that little cute cartoon you picked as your hero, but all of the characters in DST have perks, cons, and special abilities. Reason I'm saying this is because I've seen way too many Wigfrids trying to eat cooked carrots, and because my friend who plays Wendy since forever didn't know how to spawn Abigail.

Exactly.  I made this list because many new players die (sometimes multiple times) before Winter, heck even before day 12.  They die to simple things that could be avoided, like making a trap before a torch.  Though I guess another thread could be made for the more experienced players on what strategies they personally use to last a long time.

29 minutes ago, Master Jand said:

If you're new;

Bases get set up ~Day 7-10. Don't ask where the base is before then. Actually, it's better if you never ask EVER. It's pretty annoying.

If somebody is making a crock pot dish and they run some errands before they take it from the crock pot, DON'T EAT IT.

If you go as WX-78, don't eat all the gears, ice box is prioritized (or Ice Fling-o, if spring summer you mean?)

If you have found the base, and have done all the things said above...

On day 14, begin preparing for winter. Adventure out for meat, beefalo wool, and a koalefant trunk. Once you've acquired a breezy vest and winter hat, you can begin mining down rocks for a thermal stone. These three items will keep you warm in winter long enough.

If you can't find beefalo fast enough, continue looking until it's day 21. If you've still come up with nothing, set up traps and obtain some earmuffs. You can use these until you find a beefalo location.

Meanwhile, start drying your meat.

I'll continue later. 

I've actually had a really rude person take a meatball off the crockpot from me right after I put the ingredients in and it finished cooking.  This would be better suited in the "How to be Courteous to Other Players" thread, but I don't think I should explain how rude that was.  Especially since I was a wimpy Wolfgang when she took it.  Luckily I had three monster meat and 9 berries, but that still isn't an excuse.

I actually don't even make Ice Fling-os and would personally advise against it.  It's better to just make a camp underground and use 1 gear versus using 2+ gears for one or multiple base(s).  Though I still say ask and get an understanding instead of eating them all.

Everything else you said is just solid advice that everyone needs to follow.  I wish we could have this read to every new player as soon as they enter.

9 hours ago, Bunions said:

I could type this response using my toes and succeed in communication but that doesn't prove it is efficient or even a good way to do it.

Play your way and have fun. I get that and support it. I do sub optimal stuff all the time in pursuit of fun and the way I like to play. I would stay away from rationalising it as "I know what I am doing" or offering it as advice on good habits however.

I empathise with feeling defensive in the face of people telling you you're having "Bad,Wrong, Fun". Why not just stick to - this is what I like to do argument, it really doesn't matter to me what's best?

Once again, having fun your way I can get behind, but offering it as advice or best practices - nah.

Okay, NO!  Just, _no_!  "I could type this with my feet and succeed in communication" does not at all apply. I.  DID.  Succeed.  With this.  Therefore, it proves that it DOES ACTUALLY WORK.

I never actually said mine was "best" practices.  I said it WORKED. That it was _a_ legit way to play the game.  Not everybody is a min-maxer.  Or freaking CARES about being one!  All I'm saying is that there is more than one LEGIT way to play the game.

And yes, "I know what I'm doing" IS A LEGIT ARGUMENT WHEN I HAVE FIVE HUNDRED.  AND SEVENTY.  _DAYS_ UNDER MY BELT!  Most of it played alone, even!  In a harsher than normal world where I randomised the seasons _on purpose_ to give a bit more challenge!

Sorry for the anger but I'm just SO...SICK...AND _TIRED_ OF THIS...!  (cries)

THERE IS MORE THAN ONE LEGIT WAY TO PLAY.

PERIOD.

God, the only reason I'm even on this topic is that everybody else is over at Oxygen Not Included now and I don't have it (and am not sure if I want it; it looks stressful) and I'm bored enough to click on anything even remotely answerable...I mean, we've had a bazillion tips threads. We've had a bazillion "This is the right way to do it" "No, this is" "There ISN'T any right way, just have fun!" threads.  It's not as if I NEEDED to click on this one...but...well...everybody else is off at their space colonies and I don't have one.  (shrug)

Edit:  Vioxtre and MasterJand do have some decent advice.  I have seen too many people who have no idea of their own characters.  Total noobies, like, don't even know the _controls_ yet, who pick Wes...and Kitty was there with me for the person who kept telling Abigail to go revive at the portal (which happened on the same server as in the screenshot, incidentally).  And I would also agree with drying meat a bit after you've got the basics of your camp set up, and not eating crockpot foods left there unless you at least ask first.

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Okay, NO!  Just, _no_!  "I could type this with my feet and succeed in communication" does not at all apply. I.  DID.  Succeed.  With this.  Therefore, it proves that it DOES ACTUALLY WORK.

STOP trying to force everybody to play just one way and _shaming_ those who play differently!  NOT.  EVERYBODY.  IS.  A MIN-MAXER.  Not everybody freaking CARES about being "optimal" all the freaking time. 

That picture.  IS.  My proof that the way I play does indeed work.

And you cannot take that away from me.

Ever.

I played the way that you hate AND IT WORKED.  Meaning, that perhaps, there's more than one way to play?  Maybe?  Just perhaps?

Sorry for the anger but I'm just SO...SICK...AND _TIRED_ OF THIS...!  (cries)

...Notorious

All he saying captain is that he understands that people play the way they play and he's find with that 
put he doesn't want to give advice over ruining it for the player or unless it is the most optimal advice to be given
@Bunions did I get that right?

So slow your roll there I'm tired of people trying to or fighting over what is the best advice to give too. But that was a little mean don't you think.

All I can say to new players without ruining the fun of discorvary for them is learn about your character and play all the characters at least a few times. And if you don't know what an item is just ask or before you test it make sure your safe or in good standings.

Basically a whole lot of people debating and ranting about the most efficient ways to play the game, because the existence of new players is such a burden to them, in a thread that most new players will never read. The main demographic of this thread, is people with quote advice unquote. This is the venting thread for all the elitists that hate seeing players enjoy the game of their own will.

Which is one of the things that make the game less enjoyable, is people that feel they have a right to lecture and whine at players who are not pulling as much weight by their standards. As much as it sucks to have dead players on day two, it sucks much more to have some arse strutting around the base telling everybody what to do and how to play as if this is an office job.

Reviving dead players is easy, but trying to kick a prick over behavioral scrutiny is significantly more complex unless they are an overt sod; which has been an encountered problem in the past that is far more obnoxious and poisonous then having to hand hold any amateur.

Hi. 

If you have something constructive to contribute, please do. But arguing about arguing doesn't contribute to the conversation. 

If you can't reply without getting upset, perhaps it's best not to reply. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, The Curator said:

Basically a whole lot of people debating and ranting about the most efficient ways to play the game, because the existence of new players is such a burden to them, in a thread that most new players will never read. The main demographic of this thread, is people with quote advice unquote. This is the venting thread for all the elitists that hate seeing players enjoy the game of their own will.

Which is one of the things that make the game less enjoyable, is people that feel they have a right to lecture and whine at players who are not pulling as much weight by their standards. As much as it sucks to have dead players on day two, it sucks much more to have some arse strutting around the base telling everybody what to do and how to play as if this is an office job.

Reviving dead players is easy, but trying to kick a prick over behavioral scrutiny is significantly more complex unless they are an overt sod; which has been an encountered problem in the past that is far more obnoxious and poisonous then having to hand hold any amateur.

+1

Step 1 find grass.

Step 2 find twigs.

Step 3 give wolfgang all your food.

Step 4 GIVE WOLFGANG ALL YOU FOOD!

Step 5 build a base.

At this point, you and wolfgang will be ready for anything.

Step 6 go fight a boss.

Step 7 think about life choices.

3 hours ago, Donke60 said:

All he saying captain is that he understands that people play the way they play and he's find with that 
put he doesn't want to give advice over ruining it for the player or unless it is the most optimal advice to be given
@Bunions did I get that right?

So slow your roll there I'm tired of people trying to or fighting over what is the best advice to give too. But that was a little mean don't you think.

All I can say to new players without ruining the fun of discorvary for them is learn about your character and play all the characters at least a few times. And if you don't know what an item is just ask or before you test it make sure your safe or in good standings.

Thanks for trying to see my side of things @Donke60 but its not really necessary.

I'm sorry I upset you @CaptainChaotica it's not worth getting worked up over imo. 

The following is going to sum up my entire views on the majority of "how to play" tips discussions and what they ultimately devolve to: 

Duty Calls!

I'm not really invested in making my point any further than I have, because as I said up-thread: There is no point in arguing with people who are convinced.

I'd rather apologize for hurt feelings. 

Sorry!

Here's one tip I have: Cutting time!

Always try to gather as much resources as possible during the first 5 days while also exploring your map - this means acquire 20 Logs, 40 Rocks, 4-8 Gold Nuggets, and all of the basic materials - and also get a Science Machine built early, and prototype items such as Backpacks, Rope, a Spear, a Pitchfork, a Shovel, and all of that biz. That way, you can cut on time by digging up basic plants like Saplings, Berry Bushes, and maybe Grass Tufts, as well as fighting easy-to-fight things early on (like Spiders), and don't be afraid to collect other items along your way such as some Manure for some fertilizer or the crafting of some structures and materials. That way, when you've explored everything that you'd like to explore, you can get things set up quickly, giving you more time for Winter preperation, killing Clockwork Monsters for gears, Drying Racks, and all of that other fun stuff.

Archived