Best way to oxygenate base ? (Thermal Update)

Since water is abundant with the Thermal Update I'm only using Electrolyzers but I'm wondering if I should build them around the base and put a pump at the top for hydrogen or make an oxygen room and ventilate the whole base. I read a while ago some players doing the later. While gas pumping seems slightly better it still isn't efficient at least with a single room in a mid size base for 12 Dupes : often the Electrolyzers stop operating (max gas pressure) and pumps pause (no gas?)...

How do you guys manage this ?

20170319205101_1.jpg

I have been using electrolyzers and pumping out the gas through a filter that sends the hydrogen to hydrogen pump and everything else through 1 thermo regulator then straight to the base.  It has worked great for me.  However, I still only have 6 dupes on cycle 80, so that may not be enough for 12 dupes.

26 minutes ago, Risu said:

The vent approach gives a chance to pass it through an air conditioner to add some cool air into the base.

This time I am actually fighting the cold, not heat. It kinda sucks with only the basic heater.

20170319211630_1.jpg

One regular dupe uses 100g/s O2 on average (75g/s for divers lungs and 150g/s for mouth breathers).

One electrolyzer produces max 888g/s O2 (and 112g/s H2) from 1kg/s H20. You can regulate that volume down by putting a liquid valve on the input.

So one electrolyzer running at maximum is enough for 8 dupes with 10% to spare. And enough H2 to fed one hydrogen generator running at maximum.

16 minutes ago, Vilda said:

This time I am actually fighting the cold, not heat. It kinda sucks with only the basic heater.

Can't you just stick the hydrogen generators in your base or heat the air up by going past a row of batteries?

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Can't you just stick the hydrogen generators in your base or heat the air up by going past a row of batteries?

My hydrogen generator finally got it's temperature above 0. Problem is the heat propagation - it does not equalize well. It will heat up it's surroundings an not much else.

7 minutes ago, PaulV said:

@Vilda Maybe you can make a small pool of water and throw a tepidizer in there, it should output a lot more heat than the basic heater. Not sure how well it'll work though.

Tepidizer does jack**** for 960W of energy.

Gas Pumps pump at rate of 500g/s maybe.

Electrolyzers produce gases at rate of 1000g/s (888g/s of oxygen and 112g/s of hydrogen), so theoratically 2 Gas Pumps are needed per 1 Electrolyzer.

And the max limit of one blob in gas pipe is 1000g since the last beta update, parallel pipe lines are would be helpful for your 4 Electrolyzers.

Sorry for my bad english.:wilson_cry:

1 hour ago, olight said:

Gas Pumps pump at rate of 500g/s maybe.

Electrolyzers produce gases at rate of 1000g/s (888g/s of oxygen and 112g/s of hydrogen), so theoratically 2 Gas Pumps are needed per 1 Electrolyzer.

And the max limit of one blob in gas pipe is 1000g since the last beta update, parallel pipe lines are would be helpful for your 4 Electrolyzers.

Sorry for my bad english.:wilson_cry:

Yea to be honest my room is too small I figured those numbers after having done the basic setup so I only improved in that room.

One of the Electrolyzers is off because of that but then if there arent enough pumps they shouldn't stop...

My pipe layout.

20170319232225_1.jpg

I don't know in depth about the effects of the thermal upgrade, but I ran out of producing a lot of pure oxygen due to the severe lack of water (I prefer using electrolyzers). Does the upgrade provide more ways of producing water? Or will I have to live with using contaminated oxygen and algae?

The big adds of this update was the steam geyser and ice biome (at least for water concerns). The geyser is an infinite source of hot water. The ice can be melted down for more water or kept cold for "cold storage." (Food needs refrigeration now, and ideally kept in a sterile environment.)

1 hour ago, MagicManICT said:

Food needs refrigeration now, and ideally kept in a sterile environment.)

Food always needed refrigeration, just the rotting is now announced and creates rot. Sterile atmosphere is new.

Tweaked my setup and it works well the only limitation there is power so I cant have both rooms running at the same time and its kinda overkill anyway for the number of Dupes I have at the moment (12).

1 room = 4 Pumps for 2 Electrolyzers + 2 Coolers (yea Im cooling Hydrogen which isnt necessary but easier)

I'd say for roughly 10 Dupes

20170321050153_1.jpg

20170321050215_1.jpg

It seems messy but if you look carefully it makes sense and I used the space I had to make it function, the upper room is the 2nd design with a better layout (pumps and electrolyzers spaced out evenly). 

I hope this helps others ;)

The ultimate Oxygen Room !

Here's what I built in order to get my base around 20C (mostly for Bristle Blossoms).

• Provides enough Oxygen for 10 Dupes and Hydrogen for 1 Generator to run continuously.
  • 5 carefully planted Carrots, 2 parallel systems each composed of 2 Pumps, 1 Filter + 1 Electrolyzer.
  • After a few cycles the Oxygen is below 20C (no Fans nor Thermal Regulators required !)
  • The power required is 1440W - 800W (from H.Gen.) = 640W (about 2 Wheels and 2 Batteries) + Water Pump (shared)

20170329102527_1.jpg

20170329102613_1.jpg

A way to help reduce the stress of oxygen pressure buildup in electrolyzer rooms is to make the floor gas permeable tiles so that some of the o2 will force itself down and out (this is a good place to locate your wheels if you are running electrolyzers on manual power). This should improve the gas pump efficiency enough that you can get away with just one pump per electrolyzer and still not lose hydrogen to your base because it is lighter and will remain contained in the room. 

5 minutes ago, RemyG said:

A way to help reduce the stress of oxygen pressure buildup in electrolyzer rooms is to make the floor gas permeable tiles so that some of the o2 will force itself down and out (this is a good place to locate your wheels if you are running electrolyzers on manual power). This should improve the gas pump efficiency enough that you can get away with just one pump per electrolyzer and still not lose hydrogen to your base because it is lighter and will remain contained in the room. 

Interesting, cooling off the Wheels is a nice bonus. I'll have to try that but then I'll have less Oxygen to distribute around the base ? Won't the Electrolyzers reach max pressure ? Currently they do sometimes pause as well as Pumps... Gas not moving fast enough imo.

You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes. I do this design still and never have a problem with keeping the electrolyzers running at peak performance. The dupes below seem to consume enough o2 to keep them counter balanced and the excess o2 being pumped elsewhere eventually will make air pressure maximize in their respective areas. Areas of heavy traffic where the dupes do a lot of breathing tends to keep just below max.

7 minutes ago, RemyG said:

You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes. I do this design still and never have a problem with keeping the electrolyzers running at peak performance. The dupes below seem to consume enough o2 to keep them counter balanced and the excess o2 being pumped elsewhere eventually will make air pressure maximize in their respective areas. Areas of heavy traffic where the dupes do a lot of breathing tends to keep just below max.

Did the Permeable tiles, now removing 2 Pumps. Would you recommend leaving 1 Filter for each pump or a single 1 for the 2 is enough ?

I just balance Hydrogen - Oxygen - Carbondioxide by connecting room space with horizontal Mechanized airlock.

since Electrolyzer have maximum pressure at 1750g, Oxygen pressure itself will pushaway Hydrogen up, Carbondioxide+Chlorine down plus anywhere Hydrogen goes up ... it's cool any building along hydrogen way (so best put Battery over gas permeable tile).

No need for air pump at all.B1A71C4FA778E949197DD77F9938ACADC51FFA8C

PS. not optimised yet = =. I just *eat* up some Hydrogen/Carbondioxide.

PS2. be careful of Polluted Oxygen in fruit room ... (polluted atmosphere -26% per cycle)

2 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Did the Permeable tiles, now removing 2 Pumps. Would you recommend leaving 1 Filter for each pump or a single 1 for the 2 is enough ?

Still use a 1:1:1 ratio. The back up can get nasty fast, and this would allow you to have two separate gas lines through the base to oxygenate multiple areas simultaneously without gas trying to prioritize and go down so many paths.

Archived