Bernie nightmare cycle buff

I think one answer to the complaint that Willow is severely underpowered would be to buff Bernie so that he can distract nightmare creatures as well as shadow creatures. Although Willow can currently be very effective at farming nightmare fuel (as shown by @Mantas in another topic), the argument can be made that this is not enough to put her on the same level as other characters due to her drawbacks. I think that allowing Bernie to be used to farm nightmare fuel in the ruins would be quite balanced, seeing as the cost of bernies/sewing kits and the dangers of freezing due to low sanity from the dark and nightmares are prohibitive enough. Additionally, this tweak would synergise well with the seldom used night light; i.e. the one character who can actually get a positive use out of it would be able to amass enough fuel that it wouldn't be a considerable drain on resources.

For that to work Bernie would still need to be powered by an insane player, but I think that the player nightmares are very different from ruin nightmares, due to the facts that the player ones comes as generated by mental weakness of a player, and the ruin ones are generated by the world itself, which only gets generated by the world itself. I still kinda think that it's just better to farm with bernies above ground instead of underground, since you can just generate a bunch more with a nightmare amulet with the help of bernies, which the nightmare fissures and light are just scattered around ruins and might just take more time by travelling. It's not actually too hard to kill them in ruins, as long as you don't agro a flock of terrors by just running around across the map :D

Thanks for the support tho :)

No problem :) 

I was mostly envisioning it as an added boon if you want even more nightmare fuel. You'd still use a nightmare amulet, but get a few extra nightmares from the fissures. I'd say if Bernie came to life during the nightmare cycle it could be balanced, mostly because it would make him more vulnerable when left unattended in the ruins. That and the RNG of the fissures you mentioned; i.e. finding a few clumped together so that they give enough of a benefit. 

At the very least I believe that this tweak would be beneficial to some degree, without being 'overpowered'. 

Archived