Can you destroy resources?

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Put it in storage containers

No, I know that but after some point, you just have to build more and more storage compactors just for the elements that you can't use it for anything and I hate rearranging the base layout just so I can fit 7 more storage compactors

The integrity of the base is the essential part of gas flows. If I dig deeper, then I have to deal with the co2 that is going to be stuck there instead of where it should be.If I dig higher, then I introduce other problems such as pressure

You really only ever need one storage compactor. Put it in a standard enclosed floating cube. Set to sweep only. Everytime it gets full just empty it and the content will fall on the ground inside the cube. Then you fill it up again, empty it and so on. You'll have the content of as many storage compactors you like in the space about 3 normally takes up.

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You really only ever need one storage compactor. Put it in a standard enclosed floating cube. Set to sweep only. Everytime it gets full just empty it and the content will fall on the ground inside the cube. Then you fill it up again, empty it and so on. You'll have the content of as many storage compactors you like in the space about 3 normally takes up.

Nice idea but every time I see that spec of the cluster that is going to be half a million tonnes in weight I will lose my sanity bit by bit.I am just wondering whether if I can just destroy it instead of dealing with a compactor now and then.Plus sometimes too much mass in one body corrupts your save file and crashes the game I don't want to take that risk

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Feeding it to hatches works as well. Unless it's coal you want to get rid of.

I don't think you can spawn a hatch and it will be a pain in my knees to navigate one of them considering there isn't any left around at the moment.Don't they eat a very small portion of it though like 25 to 50 kg?

If they're restricted from access to a natural tile and therefore are active 25/7 it's something like 750kg per cycle they eat. They poop half as much coal though in that case.

Disclaimer: numbers are from casual observation. Not tested.

On 3/19/2017 at 5:50 AM, Saturnus said:

That is a clever way to pile all the low decor debris in one area.   I was building more containers than I needed on each level so my Dupes wouldn't have to run as far, but it doesn't seem to help.  I haven't figured out how to organize the containers to optimize Dupe movement.  

Regarding destroying resources, has anyone noticed if water is destroyed when underwater materials are dug?  I tried building walls around a water reservoir to avoid leaking and the water was definitely lower after the walls were done (and no water had been removed for jobs).

Is this a some kind of side-effect of the downhill flow/evaporation bug?

6 minutes ago, RKBKirin said:

Regarding destroying resources, has anyone noticed if water is destroyed when underwater materials are dug?  I tried building walls around a water reservoir to avoid leaking and the water was definitely lower after the walls were done (and no water had been removed for jobs).

Is this a some kind of side-effect of the downhill flow/evaporation bug?

Well, did you dig out the bottom layer so that the water can meet your new bottom wall?  If you need of course the water will lower by one tile.  They've fixed quite a few liquid destruction issues.

6 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

Well, did you dig out the bottom layer so that the water can meet your new bottom wall?  If you need of course the water will lower by one tile.  They've fixed quite a few liquid destruction issues.

I build tiles directly over the bottom layer squares, but they appear to dig them out before creating tiles so I suppose its the same thing.  The tiles ended up being at the same level as the original bottom.  

If this is happening, I can actually see keeping the effect.  It seems an understandable consequence that you'd destroy water using one of those plasma beam/matter re-structuring guns under the surface lol

16 minutes ago, RKBKirin said:

I build tiles directly over the bottom layer squares, but they appear to dig them out before creating tiles so I suppose its the same thing.  The tiles ended up being at the same level as the original bottom.  

If this is happening, I can actually see keeping the effect.  It seems an understandable consequence that you'd destroy water using one of those plasma beam/matter re-structuring guns under the surface lol

When you designate some area to be turned into tile, the dupes will always first dig out the natural material then immediately build the constructed tile in the same place.  Because they dug out the natural material, liquids will fill into that void temporarily until the constructed tile is finished which will promptly displaces the liquids out.  There might still be outstanding issues with liquid destruction via liquid displacement.  You can keep tabs on the resources bookkeeping, which is somewhat reliable but not always, to see if the amount of liquids remain the same as before the construction.  Keep in mind that  a tile of liquid is always 800 kg and not 1000 kg like most people think.  You can have 1.2 tiles of liquid and it might look just like 1 tile as visually that is very difficult to discern.

7 hours ago, Fatmice said:

There might still be outstanding issues with liquid destruction via liquid displacement.  You can keep tabs on the resources bookkeeping, which is somewhat reliable but not always, to see if the amount of liquids remain the same as before the construction.  Keep in mind that  a tile of liquid is always 800 kg and not 1000 kg like most people think.  You can have 1.2 tiles of liquid and it might look just like 1 tile as visually that is very difficult to discern.

I decided to take your advice and track the resources bookkeeping tab while doing an experiment. I made a new base with 3 amphibious mobs or the AquaDupes as I suddenly chose to call them.

Water test 00 start.jpg

The ladders make all the water accessible for the AquaDupes so it registers in the resource tab.  The tab says there is 14,580kgs of life-giving H2O.  The graphics level of the water is about 1 1/2 below the top of the highest ladder.

Water test 00A plan ,.jpg

The AquaDupes are given their plan to line the reservoir with tiles.

Water test 01.jpg

The water level starts to drop which depressed me when I previously saw this, but to my surprise the resource bookkeeping says the water has increased to 16,985kg!

Water test 03 Stupid sleep cycle.jpg

The AquaDupes choose to be lazy bastards rather than working through the night but they have increased the water to 58,205 kgs.

Water test 05 Lunchtime.jpg

Observant viewers might have noticed the Field Rations somehow got blocked under a tile at the bottom of a ladder in the upper left of the previous pics (I deconstructed the storage box because I wanted to see the ration graphic) so that tile was removed and by lunchtime we're at 145,819kgs of water - 10x the starting amount.

Water test 06 Unreachable.jpg

Then I had an odd bug which made the other half of the reservoir suddenly unreachable even though the dupes had just built ladders there.  Also the AquaDupes all had accidents since I didn't bother building an outhouse, but they politely did their business away from the project so the contaminated water did not interfere with the data.  What troopers!

Water test 07 done..jpg

The AquaDupes were not to be deterred!  Some ladders for scaffolding and they stood proud with their job done. Except for one final tile but I let that slide.  (I got them to smile for the screenshot by picking the 'Move to' option).

Graphically it appears as though almost a third of the water is gone but the resource tab says there is 248,885kgs.  Clearly there is some buggy-goodness happening.

This was fun!  I don't know if this issue has already been pointed out, but I enjoyed doing this little trial. I need to try out the editor some time, I probably could have done it much faster.

I suspect their water propagation code is bugged and is probably counting something multiple times.  When you displace a tile of water underneath other tiles, you are affecting many tiles around it.  There is a propagation wave that travels outward from the perturbation then bounces around.  This sloshing and bouncing maybe the source of multiplication and reduction of your water.

Archived