Question on Goose/Moose

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forums and to DST in general although i have played DS/SW before and from what I've experienced thus far i like the added challenge and particularly the rollback feature(saves griefing).

Anyway i play offline solo in a Endless world preset and I've just finished my first Winter and come along a visit to a nest i find Goose/Goose landing but won't give chase(i guess no more lure to angry beefalos) so i just killed it the old fashioned way... with a tentacle spike! ...mid-fight though lightning suddenly strikes and a HUGE egg appears out of nowhere, i guess this is where Moslings spawn from though now i'm wondering are they hazardous to the environment? i.e do they destroy everything around them? eat carrots of the ground? i do like my carrots as they are. I'm getting worried as i know for a fact there are several other nests, which also brings-up another question do they all spawn a Goose/Goose when i come visit? I don't mind killing them all, Wolfgang needs something to punch now and then but i'd like to avoid it if i can.

Sorry for the long read and thank you in advance to any responses. 

They will attack now that their parent is dead, and I believe the lightning bolts they summon can set stuff on fire, although I haven't seen it. They will also eat berries off bushes and steal meat from drying racks. Possibly also meals from crockpots, but I have not experienced that myself.

22 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

They will also eat berries off bushes and steal meat from drying racks. Possibly also meals from crockpots, but I have not experienced that myself.

I can confirme this, furthermore they'll eat fully grown plants from the farms. Watch out if you want to keep you dragonfruits!

23 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

They will attack now that their parent is dead, and I believe the lightning bolts they summon can set stuff on fire, although I haven't seen it.

Yes, as they're stirling (?) lighning has a higher chance to strike the Mosling or something in its area, even the player, which then can set things on fire. If the Mosling was hit, then it also sets things that are near it on fire.

2 hours ago, Rene Valionus said:

(i guess no more lure to angry beefalos)

Actually, sometimes it does follow you, although I don't know when and why exactely. If my observations are correct, the M/G does it before it lays its egg. So if you have a herd not too far away, you've won. :) 

They can cause potential forest fires with their lightning strikes while fighting, will eat food off the ground and in the vicinity. And their hostility now that their parent is dead will cling to you for significant amounts of time.

An unfortunate aspect of the game, so many enemies will chase you for so long. It does not actually harm you or provide a combat challenge; it literally only serves to be obnoxious because you simply have to waste more time to escape from enemies then you would in a normal game. And that is the ones that proc off, nightmare cycle Splumonkeys never do.

26 minutes ago, The Curator said:

so many enemies will chase you for so long. It does not actually harm you or provide a combat challenge; it literally only serves to be obnoxious because you simply have to waste more time to escape from enemies then you would in a normal game.

Well, while being chased, it is harder to warm, cool or heal yourself. So you might think twice, when unprepared, before attacking an ennemi that takes time to escape. Of course, it is possible to run around a fire for a little time, but meh, still.  

Edit: Of course, when you are an experienced player, it is not much of a problem. 

It's when several of them gang up on you at once that they become fairly dangerous. I usually lead them to my toothtrap field when that happens but beefs work too. When they're separated or it's just a couple, dodge then follow til it stops and gets dizzy. Then wallop it.

7 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Well, while being chased, it is harder to warm, cool or heal yourself. So you might think twice, when unprepared, before attacking an ennemi that takes time to escape. Of course, it is possible to run around a fire for a little time, but meh, still.  

Edit: Of course, when you are an experienced player, it is not much of a problem. 

Completely ignoring the fact that most enemies that do this become aggressive when you come near them, and not when you attack them. And most of these enemies also wander significant areas which make them doubly likely to find players.

So that is a negative on this only being a problem for fresh casuals as your arrogance implies. No, being chased by shadow splumonkeys for five minutes until you exit the caves, because you ran into them in the dark or the cycle turned to nightmare while you were going through their area; is the games problem for giving them such unrealistic proc variables.

Players are not inexperienced because they encounter enemies.

Firstly thank you for all the replies, some very useful information that i did not know. 

About Moslings eating crop's how far do they wander from their nest? There is a nest 3 screens away from my base, the one where i killed a Goose/Goose and with an egg. When they hatch i will try what you guys suggested and lure them to Beefalos as again a couple of herds are conveniently located north of the nest.

Angry Moslings (when their parent is killed), from my experience can travel as far as they want. On one occasion, I escaped through a wormhole, forgot about one of them chasing me, then suddenly that very same baby-thing out of nowhere and rushed into me. Killing me instantly. I forget if they still eat when they are enraged though.

When they are angry and aggro on you they will definitely follow you to the ends of the earth. But in terms of them in their normal form, just milling around eating stuff they find near their nest, I don't think they wander as far as three screens. As long as your racks and farms are that far away, I *think* you should be OK.

Well to be double safe i just had the Beefalos kill them off, got some extra meat too from the engagement. The other nest i visited also spawned another Goose/Goose, killed it again but thankfully it did not lay an egg although i'm not sure if it was the one laying the egg as the last one only appeared after a thunder strike... anyhow i guess one is guaranteed to spawn per nest? if so i'm going to steer clear of the area north where i found 3 nests all together.

I encountered the Moosegoose twice in one world now, two different springs.

One time she spawned further from our one and only base. We tried to kill it, couldn't. Me and my friend went into the caves trying to get Lobsters to fight her for us (before we discovered that you can't bring Lobsters out of the caves in DST) and by the time we got out it was Summer, Moosegoose and her Mooslings just disappeared.

The second time Moosegoose spawned just down from the base, so close we could often see her horn and even have the ground tremble. We were ignoring it until Mooslings hatched and they were running into our base, eating crops from our farms and food from our crockpot if it was left unattended. Their nest was right next to a pond, so they were killing frogs and eating them. I haven't seen them dug out carrots, unsure if they are berries from the bushes, but that's renewable.

And they DO eat when enraged. We killed their mom before we killed them, and they ate almost all the drumsticks we got.

Mama Goose is no match for my Mighty Strength!

I always take down nests that are too close to base as soon as possible.

Just strike Mama G down when necessary and if the little ones try to eat food from your racks or crops,

just give em a good whacking too. They are around till spring is over so just save the other mamas

for later for food or however as you please!

I don't think the moslings kill anything until their parent dies. The cranky frogs attack them, they summon their mom, she kills the attacker(s) and then they eat the meat. But with a frog rain the frogs are usually too much for the whole family and any survivors will indeed gobble the corpses of their dead relatives.

On 19/03/2017 at 0:54 AM, The Curator said:

Players are not inexperienced because they encounter enemies.

I did not meant to talk about you at all there. Sorry you felt attacked. The edited part was only to acknowledge that for some very good players, (and I dont even include myself in there), the fact that some ennemis chase you for more time than others is not a factor to considerate. I agree with you it is very annoying, but I also think it is game mechanic that actually creates some kind of challenge. 

Related anecdote: Couple days ago I tried to aggro a treeguard to fight the Antlion with me. Turns out the sand spikes can't hit the treeguard, so the aggro stayed on me the whole time. It was a freaking pain to fight and have the treeguard slowly but surely trying to kill me ; had to abort the fight by running far away. XD

Sorry I'm off topic, I just had to clarify this.

Archived