Algae Reliance & Shower Inefficiency

Hello. I'm a bit new to the game and I've noticed that my colony does well until I start running out of algae. Naturally, I make a water purifier and start trying to convert slime, but the slime to algae conversion rate seems limited and colony members keep stress vomiting into the clean water supply that forms from the water purifier. Any tips on that?

Also, it seems like making a shower system is overly complicated for what it's worth. I'm sure the colony members perform better when they're clean, but finding the amount of water necessary to feed into the shower is one issue and creating the piping is another. It seems like an entire area needs to be dug out just to place piping, which puts a strain on the need for copper that's already being used up by other construction. Any suggestions on speeding that up?

The shower is entirely useless right now.
Takes 45 seconds to do the chore, but dupes can be interrupted and the shower chore can be resumed BY ANYONE.
Once the chore is completed the dupe that finishes it gets clean, for as long as it takes the dupe to reach
that dirt clod and get dirty again.

Thankfully once you have water in the plumbing for shower and toilet you can just loop it back into a water purifier
for a net loss of a small bit of sand. No big deal really.

Setting up a shower and lavatory is actually quite important.
It lowers the amount of decor needed since it gives a bit of stress relief by itself is the first part.
Lavatories produce polluted water, which at the moment is quite important for fertilizer over time (end-game thought), Also a endless supply of clean water if you know how to handle steam.

The piping is fairly easy. Just combine all the intake pipes of the shower and all the outtake pipes, one single pipe is more then enough, not straining the metal requirements in any way.

As soon as you expand further, metal is absolutely no problem anyway, as there is simply an abundance of it strewn over the map, not just copper, but also gold amalgam, iron and wolframite which can all be used for it. Abyssalite can also be used for piping by now, which lowers the amounts needed even further, making it an absolute non-issue.

For the problem at hand, getting enough oxygen I recommend keeping your base small, max 6 dupes at the beginning, they will be easily sustainable for a loooong time, even with small expansion.
After that, the slime still is just an extra algae income, the main point of them is to give off 3 different materials thought which can be used to get clean oxygen:
Algae for immediate oxygen.
Polluted oxygen either for immediate use, if you want to keep your base clean thought set up a cleaning system before getting it inside, for the beginning several air deodorizers are more then enough.
Polluted water for cleaning, then turning the clean one with the electrolyzer into oxygen and hydrogen. Advanced setup, but probably the main oxygen income for most people end-game.

Remember to build in 'chunks', don't make huge spaces and keep your main base walled off completely with every way out being a door, maybe even an airlock build if you want to retain as much clean oxygen as possible, pumping the airlock into a vacuum and filtering all the different materials out at a little filtering room.

To keep metal requirements as low as possible, combine the piping whereever possible, and think beforehand when setting up something new.

5 hours ago, Kulze said:

Setting up a shower and lavatory is actually quite important.
It lowers the amount of decor needed since it gives a bit of stress relief by itself is the first part.
Lavatories produce polluted water, which at the moment is quite important for fertilizer over time (end-game thought), Also a endless supply of clean water if you know how to handle steam.

The piping is fairly easy. Just combine all the intake pipes of the shower and all the outtake pipes, one single pipe is more then enough, not straining the metal requirements in any way.

As soon as you expand further, metal is absolutely no problem anyway, as there is simply an abundance of it strewn over the map, not just copper, but also gold amalgam, iron and wolframite which can all be used for it. Abyssalite can also be used for piping by now, which lowers the amounts needed even further, making it an absolute non-issue.

For the problem at hand, getting enough oxygen I recommend keeping your base small, max 6 dupes at the beginning, they will be easily sustainable for a loooong time, even with small expansion.
After that, the slime still is just an extra algae income, the main point of them is to give off 3 different materials thought which can be used to get clean oxygen:
Algae for immediate oxygen.
Polluted oxygen either for immediate use, if you want to keep your base clean thought set up a cleaning system before getting it inside, for the beginning several air deodorizers are more then enough.
Polluted water for cleaning, then turning the clean one with the electrolyzer into oxygen and hydrogen. Advanced setup, but probably the main oxygen income for most people end-game.

Remember to build in 'chunks', don't make huge spaces and keep your main base walled off completely with every way out being a door, maybe even an airlock build if you want to retain as much clean oxygen as possible, pumping the airlock into a vacuum and filtering all the different materials out at a little filtering room.

To keep metal requirements as low as possible, combine the piping whereever possible, and think beforehand when setting up something new.

For me sand quit bit expensive :) from what i do i pick dupe with - decor and do puke when stress :) . And if you play thermal test ignore the fresh air :) because once you get into slime biomed there is no way you can pump back :) why ? Because polution oxgen spawn 15-23 kg and limit pump presure 1.5kg

11 hours ago, Risu said:

The shower is entirely useless right now.
Takes 45 seconds to do the chore, but dupes can be interrupted and the shower chore can be resumed BY ANYONE.
Once the chore is completed the dupe that finishes it gets clean, for as long as it takes the dupe to reach
that dirt clod and get dirty again.

Another mystery solved by Risu.

No showers in my base until they fix that or add a lower tier that does the same (faucet + hose) 

5 minutes ago, alcurad90 said:

1, Forget algae, use water electrolyzer

I'm astonished by the efficiency of the new electrolyzers, running one in this branch is like running 5 in the plain alpha.

5 minutes ago, Octyabr said:

I'm astonished by the efficiency of the new electrolyzers, running one in this branch is like running 5 in the plain alpha.

And yet I have a permanent "Not enough oxygen production" notice.

2 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Anyone know how to use it with 100% efficiency? Even with 3 pumps next to it still turns off because of overpressure. I wish we can use gas pipe as alternative output for electrolizer…

2 minutes ago, Profitz said:

Anyone know how to use it with 100% efficiency? Even with 3 pumps next to it still turns off because of overpressure. I wish we can use gas pipe as alternative output for electrolizer…

I simply use a 5 pumps 5 electrolyzer setup, feeding into 4 hydrogen generators at the moment. Definitely not very efficient, but more then enough to get some excess oxygen, and feeding itself without problems + leaving open some extra energy.

2 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Another mystery solved by Risu.

No showers in my base until they fix that or add a lower tier that does the same (faucet + hose) 

efficiency is just the same

difference is that the pipe system doesn't lose water now

19 minutes ago, Profitz said:

1 electrolyzer is enough for 8 dupes

4 minutes ago, alcurad90 said:

1 electrolyzer is enough for 8 dupes

Assuming its working 100% of the time. In addition, one electrolyser should be able to run hydrogen generator full time. However, I can’t find a way to achieve that – electrolyser stops working from time to time

6 minutes ago, Profitz said:

Assuming its working 100% of the time. In addition, one electrolyser should be able to run hydrogen generator full time. However, I can’t find a way to achieve that – electrolyser stops working from time to time

Dig a hole to  bury  CO2 would help

8 minutes ago, sai05 said:

Dont dig a hole just pump to ice bioma and you got free liquid :) because heat hehehe . Right ?

The ice biome never reaches -48.15 C unassisted.
Besides, liquid CO2 is useless, unless you want to dump it on a coal generator as coolant.

8 minutes ago, Risu said:

The ice biome never reaches -48.15 C unassisted.
Besides, liquid CO2 is useless, unless you want to dump it on a coal generator as coolant.

Its not use less . Im not talking co2 liquid but the ice and snow in that biome ^^ yesterday i got water from that ^^

4 minutes ago, sai05 said:

Its not use less . Im not talking co2 liquid but the ice and snow in that biome ^^ yesterday i got water from that ^^

If you want to destroy a free heat sink sure, but geysers are a less destructive way to get water.

pcaFRtu.jpg

As mister Risu type here you have to close your water system on water purifier, just in case I've made screen how it work.

First create pump from clear water source and fullfill half the system with clear water, then turn off your pump and cut pipe from it, after that make water system like on my screen.

One more think, dirt will became sand on 370 C.

Good luck.

Archived