DST Trading World Part II - New & Surprising Developments

So far we have trading (players set up payment and merchandise chests), an inn and a food production base that has everything imaginable for sale.   It works very well as players can trade for stuff they don't like working for and it is more efficient.  How so?   Well, if you have one of two characters that can generate wood very quickly you'll be the most efficient producer and can use the product to buy stuff you really need.   DST is a fascinating world, you have a minute of sheer terror and "hours" of less interesting time just collecting resources, this takes away some of the drudgery and gives players more time to do what they really enjoy.

Some new concepts are coming out and one of them I find interesting.   In a world with 3-4 bases and 6 players you don't really need to have a base so you can concentrate more on adventures.   Need a place to spend a night?  Go to the one or more inns where you will have a fireplace, a tent and plenty of food, in exchange you give logs or silk.   Need to store stuff?   Keep it at a storage unit base which is maintained and well organized.   Other players can rent out their contract killing services, if you really want dragon scales you can purchase them.    This doesn't mean that we don't team up on adventures, we do all the time.    Some speculate that players may hoard valuable resources but that isn't happening because it isn't in their interest to do so, it doesn't make sense (for instance) to have 480 stone units which you have no use for to sit idle.

Other ideas that are germinating:

Hospital - A quick recovery with booster shot and a player will even retrieve your gear while you recover.

Disaster Recovery Team - Base destroyed by Deerklops?    No worries, we do the heavy lifting and restore you base in one to two days while you go about other business.

Defensive Perimeter - Need a robust defensive perimeter around your base but don't want to spend months of game time building it?   Hire a contractor that already has all the supplies to build it quickly and effectively.

We do give away some stuff to get every new player started especially if they appear in a tough season.  A kind of welcome package, the hardy adventurer may want to survive without help, that is fine, to each his own.

Excellent foundation imo

Now you need to turn on pvp and allow for tribes (govt)s to form and diplomacy / hostilities to develop.  Basically the endstate I am shooting for. I have a whole suite of mods picked out that allows for a rich world but people automatically assume that pvp = chaos and grief. Thusly I hardly have a playerbase most nights.

That and my mods do tend to make survival harder anyhow. Oh well /shrug.

/sigh... someday.

11 hours ago, Bunions said:

Excellent foundation imo

Now you need to turn on pvp and allow for tribes (govt)s to form and diplomacy / hostilities to develop.  Basically the endstate I am shooting for. I have a whole suite of mods picked out that allows for a rich world but people automatically assume that pvp = chaos and grief. Thusly I hardly have a playerbase most nights.

That and my mods do tend to make survival harder anyhow. Oh well /shrug.

/sigh... someday.

Yeah, that will be another stage.   How does PVP work?   If you have a Pan Flute aren't you invincible?   Once a player dies they resurrect as normal correct?   Would like to hear more about the dynamics of PVP, thanks!

Archived