Make difficulty level

I can see the merit in this. you could have difficulty levels where you don't have temperature management, or food is more readily available, so novice players can get an understanding of the game and how to manage things before bumping up the difficulty and possible being overwhelmed with everything you need to do.

This can be easily done by making the world gen let people select the type of world. So for a easy world would have a pretty easy temperature and can spawn more food/ores/coal. Also since its only affecting the world gen, they don't have to go rebalancing everything all over again for each difficulty.

A custom difficulty with specific conditions would be rather fun such as not being able to choose a duplicate, or begin with a specific amount of stress, or oxygen starvation etc... would allow for different methods in trying to survive. I mean this game is already challenging, but why not take specific elements instantly add more stress from what is a calm and casual beginning? Perhaps having to complete missions within a certain time will grant you points, or a new duplicate.

19 hours ago, MousesDonkey said:

I can see the merit in this. you could have difficulty levels where you don't have temperature management, or food is more readily available, so novice players can get an understanding of the game and how to manage things before bumping up the difficulty and possible being overwhelmed with everything you need to do.

Hi, I have 6, 13 and me playing the game. As for me I play till I get full understanding of the game and then stop, just because real time strategies are too tedious for me to play, so I like to play on easy. The 6 years old likes long play, built everything and dig out everything, so he plays till no single tile left on the map untouched. He never stops the game and exit for victory. The eldest son loves competition and chalenge, so this is exactly what you make. But he needs some social aspect in the game,   so he can invite his friends and share dups control and management. Single player mode is not very intresting for him.

3 minutes ago, Dup1 said:

Hi, I have 6, 13 and me playing the game. As for me I play till I get full understanding of the game and then stop, just because real time strategies are too tedious for me to play, so I like to play on easy. The 6 years old likes long play, built everything and dig out everything, so he plays till no single tile left on the map untouched. He never stops the game and exit for victory. The eldest son loves competition and chalenge, so this is exactly what you make. But he needs some social aspect in the game,   so he can invite his friends and share dups control and management. Single player mode is not very intresting for him.

Multiplayer will be extremely hard to do with all the physics the game uses. Visiting player bases with no synchronization might be possible tho.

26 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Multiplayer will be extremely hard to do with all the physics the game uses. Visiting player bases with no synchronization might be possible tho.

If game logic is identical at every client and chain of events is in sync, then you have to get the same results evertwhere. You just need to delay dups actions till you get sync confirmation from all clients.

Just now, Dup1 said:

If game logic is identical at every client and chain of events is in sync, then you have to get the same results evertwhere. You just need to delay dups actions till you get sync confirmation from all clients.

For fluids that is very hard to do. What every game does is every client does its own fluid simulation since it doesn't matter if its a little off, but for a multiplayer game where machines consume fluids and have free flowing fluids ... thats hard as hell to get everything sync enough that it works and thats on a perfect LAN setup, imagine doing it over the internet.

40 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

For fluids that is very hard to do. What every game does is every client does its own fluid simulation since it doesn't matter if its a little off, but for a multiplayer game where machines consume fluids and have free flowing fluids ... thats hard as hell to get everything sync enough that it works and thats on a perfect LAN setup, imagine doing it over the internet.

You can do all calculations at one mashine and then just stream updates to global.

I'm honestly not really sure how difficulty settings would be handled in a game like this.  The management of resources and the environment is kind of the entire purpose of the game.  It just isn't a game like Minecraft where you can just dig and build casually without consequences, nor do I feel it should be made into one.

Regarding the concept of multiplayer, the developers have already stated specifically that ONI would not become multiplayer.  They stated this very early in the development of the game, knowing that people would ask for it.  So I don't see multiplayer happening.

i think difficulty level is needed... just started this game yesterday, been playing for the whole day. i like the random world generator, but sometimes is kinda too difficult for me as a new player (little oxygen, too little algea, copper super far away and lots of CO2 while digging).

have difficulty level in generating the world would be really nice.

5 hours ago, Lamiaceae said:

i think difficulty level is needed... just started this game yesterday, been playing for the whole day. i like the random world generator, but sometimes is kinda too difficult for me as a new player (little oxygen, too little algea, copper super far away and lots of CO2 while digging).

have difficulty level in generating the world would be really nice.

The very things you are complaining about are the intended mechanics of playing the game.  This challenge is essentially what the game is about.  To take these things away or heavily reduce the difficulty would take away from the purpose of the game.  In addition, balancing the game over multiple game modes invites additional avenues for bugs.  I'm a bit curious, how this would be good for the game?

10 hours ago, Dup1 said:

The Butterfly effect, where one small change can drastically alter the results after a long period of time. That is, it'd start out similar, but small differences would add up and it'd eventually end up very, very different.

Casual Mode - Current Build but with lowered stress generation and environmental effects and resource requirements

Hard Mode - Random printing pad location rather than center of the map everytime, no re-roll of starting dupes

Hardcore Mode - permanent X3 speed, random start location, no oxylite on map, new random dupe comes through at start of every cycle and you don't pick them

13 hours ago, scientas said:

Casual Mode - Current Build but with lowered stress generation and environmental effects and resource requirements

Hard Mode - Random printing pad location rather than center of the map everytime, no re-roll of starting dupes

Hardcore Mode - permanent X3 speed, random start location, no oxylite on map, new random dupe comes through at start of every cycle and you don't pick them

And the lower 'rookie' mode where thermal problems don't exist, but clothes don't either(even resources)

Difficulty can be easely regulated by amount of operations dups produce per order. Another issue is recuperation of water, the world is isolated so how is it possible that water dissapears. Filtering material dissapears as well without traces. So if game is pure artificual, i don't see a problem to have labour scale.

Archived