Willow nightmare farming tip

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Disclaimer: From what I know Mantas almost exclusively plays Willow so I'm sure that counts as extensive testing 

Yet the facts proved the theorise tip (hesitant to use "lie" here) wrong, however. Playing exclusively Willow means you wouldn't know how good the character's traits are in comparison to everyone else, which the ever-controvercial subject of Willow's character balance might have a strong bias on the side that says her perks are very useful.

Mantas knows what he's doing -- watch his stream if you have any doubts. I don't see him claiming that Willow is "better" than other characters by the absurdly bellicose standards of some folks on this forum. He just seems to find her fun, and offers this tip up for others who share that preference. He recent whipped Deerclops to death with a tail o three cats, which was 200% more entertaining than yet another endless argument about which character is better in a fight.

3 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

There's a more better and less Wickerbottom way to farm krampus using bunnymen hutchs, and a brightly lit star.

The only reason I see you using that tactic is for feathers. (Since you'll be drowning in food after 2 krampus spawns)

its not really better.. sleepy birds works faster than the bunny farm. 

1 hour ago, thistownneedsguns said:

its not really better.. sleepy birds works faster than the bunny farm. 

More food, less sanity drain (yeah the queen hat negates that, I know.) bunny puffs so you can have more hutchs which means more bunnymen, you just gotta make sure the star and flingo are in good positions.

6 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

There's a more better and less Wickerbottom way to farm krampus using bunnymen hutchs, and a brightly lit star.

The only reason I see you using that tactic is for feathers. (Since you'll be drowning in food after 2 krampus spawns)

You need to wait for bunnymen to respawn.
But yes, bunnymen are great, I used them to kill all the Krampi.
5 BotW + 3 STS gave around 70 Krampi spawned per session. We did that trice, got 3 sacks,
And about those feathers - you can use scarecrows, it's great idea because canaries have 80% chance to drop morsel (other birds have 50%), which means less garbo feathers and more gold. Turf they spawn on can prevent world regrowth, which is a nice thing, too.
Sorry, I'm just too proud ;_;

I'd imagine you'd use 10 bernies to make sure you can deal with a large swarm of shadow monsters without having them clump up together like in the video that was posted earlier; i.e. being insane during the nightmare cycle in the ruins

1 hour ago, JellyUltra said:

Because why else would you craft ten bernies?

Tanking is the quickest way for damage output via weapon, and using Bernies to offset armor damage means you'll have more armor resources to put to other things. The idea is that you are trading relatively worthless resources for something slightly more valuable, after breaking the habit of wasteful hoarding.

Though even as the "biggest" thing, it is not as magnificent as Wilson's beard.

12 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

Can't tell if seriously using the word "Novel" or just making fun of a youtuber that uses certain words too much.

The joke is that it is about Sewing Kits and not Willow or Bernie, no other references meant or included.

Willow specializing in nightmare farming seems redundant.

For whatever reason, shadows have the most fair and accurate hitboxes in the game. So long as your internet is average, they can only hit you if you are pointblank with them. Unlike spiders who have a player sized hitbox for their bite attacks. This combined with their habit of teleporting away after they are hit, makes them absurdly easy to kite. Unless Terrorbeak randomly decides to tank the damage and oneshot you.

Shadows are some of the easiest enemies in the game to kite. And while sanity is still a threat, they really should be stronger. But then again, the presence of the shadows in general is very shallow. Could have been a lot more of them added to the game in order to diversify sanity threats.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

I'd imagine you'd use 10 bernies to make sure you can deal with a large swarm of shadow monsters without having them clump up together like in the video that was posted earlier; i.e. being insane during the nightmare cycle in the ruins

To clear up some things:

Shadow Creatures(Crawling Horrors, Terrorbeaks) are the spectre-looking monsters that attack the player when low on sanity. They are transparent, and their perceived transparency decreases as the player's sanity does. They can spawn in any location near an insane player.
They have a spawn cap of two for one player on screen, and it increases with the number of players(you learn a lot from spawning 50 Wendys).

Nightmare Creatures(Crawling Nightmares, Nightmarebeaks)spawn and attack the player regardless of their sanity level,
but they're the same in regards to shape, combat, and drops. They spawn from nightmare fissures and nightmare lights(found in ruins), only during the nightmare cycle(independent of player sanity). Each can spawn two nightmare creatures max:(so 4 nightmare lights can lead to 8 nightmare creatures).

Bernie only attracts aggro from Shadow Creatures, but not from Nightmare Creatures(I tested this just a few days ago).

So, what does this mean?

It means that you can not get attacked by more than two shadow creatures if you're alone, and if you're surrounded by players, they can help you fight (T)hem, kinda removing the need for Bernie(unless, oh, everyone around you is a ghost and is just looking at you gleefully waiting for you to die)

It  also means that if you're being chased by 5-9 nightmare creatures in the dark, dank ruins, when the player could REALLY use something to distract them all, Bernie's useless.

If Bernie attracted aggro from nightmare creatures, Willow would be VERY useful on trips to the ruins.

6 hours ago, Tosh said:

You will almost never get more than two shadows from being insane. No point in having one Bernie, let alone ten Bernies.

As for shadows in the ruins, Bernie doesn't attract them. Again, no point in having Bernie.

HELLO!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

The argument of Willow, Bernie - and her lighter- is arguably pointless to discuss because @Mantas just show us an effective way of acquiring nightmare fuel. But I want to thank @Mantas for that wonderful tip, now published at these forums.

As of my tingling sensation of creating "effective farms" I tried using @Mantas' tip about Willow and here is what I've got.

______________________________________________________________________________________

"WILlow NightMAre Fuel Farming"

Spoiler

20170317210003_1.jpg

20170317203624_1.jpg

20170317203835_1.jpg

EXPLANATION:

Spoiler

This contraption utilizes Willow's Bernies, usually in large amounts of quantity as a form of distraction for Shadow Creatures which are kept on a Piggyback for a compact placement as to not worry about putting up chest inside. All of those Bernies are enclosed on walls, fences and gates in order for them to not go stray as they are all within the player.

Additionally, I've put up Bunnymen -which are five of them- to have the same effect of what a Nightmare Amulet would do,forcing you to stay insane because of the instant sanity rise that these Shadow Creatures give upon their death. While being distracted by a powdercake covered by walls or even fences.

I minded the contraption to be built on the light colored turf due to how insanity will give a hard time to perceive usually on dark colored turf.

Also you can add structures that counteracts Willow's insanity which is her temperature drop and my recommended structures are any heat related structures but guaranteed for the best effect, a Scaled Furnace will be a nice use.

Hambats, Log Suits, and Football Helmets are of a recommended use for safety applications and for your nightmare fuel farming. As well your basic needs for survival.

Now go and build this one of a kind of a contraption that best Maxwell's Nightmare Fuel Farming.

:3

I literally just explained why Mantas's "tip" doesn't work. Frankly, I have to say that he absolutely has no idea what he's talking about.

First, it's easy enough to just learn how to kite the shadows. Their attacks are so slow and have a very short range. They also deal very little damage if you wear armour.

Second, one bernie or ten bernies won't make any difference. You only get up to two shadows at the same time anyway. Even if you get a hundred shadows, there will still be no difference between having one bernie and having ten bernies when it comes to farming them. 

Third, bernie only distracts shadows that aren't aggro to you. Shadows that are already aggro will just attack you normally, so having bernie around has zero benefit. So what is even the point? Just get a bunch of players to go insane and hold down their F key. No bernie needed.

Last, I believe that every one should first have a good understanding of game mechanics before sharing a "tip" or claiming that a tip is "effective". Just because it's a new and original strategy doesn't mean that it's automatically good.

24 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

I literally just explained why Mantas's "tip" doesn't work. Frankly, I have to say that he absolutely has no idea what he's talking about.

First, it's easy enough to just learn how to kite the shadows. Their attacks are so slow and have a very short range. They also deal very little damage if you wear armour.

Second, one bernie or ten bernies won't make any difference. You only get up to two shadows at the same time anyway. Even if you get a hundred shadows, there will still be no difference between having one bernie and having ten bernies when it comes to farming them. 

Third, bernie only distracts shadows that aren't aggro to you. Shadows that are already aggro will just attack you normally, so having bernie around has zero benefit. So what is even the point? Just get a bunch of players to go insane and hold down their F key. No bernie needed.

Last, I believe that every one should first have a good understanding of game mechanics before sharing a "tip" or claiming that a tip is "effective". Just because it's a new and original strategy doesn't mean that it's automatically good.

"You're not looking at it the same way as I do. You're not even trying to look what's beyond". Well it is you're preference about what you see but you don't look at both sides. You have some good points that could convince me but I'll stand my ground while I'm convinced about your pointed details. How about you try look farther enough that you'll see a difference, @JohnWatson

Just now, Aeschwutz said:

"You're not looking at it the same way as I do. You're not fen trying to look what's beyond. Well it is you're preference about what you see but you don't look at both sides. You have some good points that could convince me but I'll stand my ground while I'm convinced about your pointed details. How about you try look farther enough that you'll see a difference, @JohnWatson

Why do I have to bother "looking beyond"? If you look too far ahead, then you won't see what's in your way. None of what you said made any sense. Saying vague statements is not going to convince me of anything, I know those are just because you have nothing else to say.

All I'm saying is that Mantas's tip is rubbish. Just that. It's rubbish and it doesn't work.

Or you could just play as Wigfrid and obliterate shadows even faster, with easier to acquire equipment.

Really hard to claim how great something is when you have to do backflips to make it work, while there is meta out there that can accomplish the same thing and do it better with less resources.

Absurd that they nerfed Willow when Wigfrid is the one who is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

It's rubbish and it doesn't work.

@JohnWatson, if a stupid idea works it ain't a stupid idea. If a rubbish idea works, it ain't a rubbish idea. So I tested it and I come up with the differences:

• There is more than 1 Bernie
  • Bernie enclosed in a constructed pen.
  • A great number of Bernies can wholesomely distract Them in a hastily manner.
  • A great number of Bernies will result to their durability to have a large portion left.
  • A great number of Bernies can distribute the Shadow Creature's damage resulting a longer time to kill for each individual Bernie present.
  •  Shadow Creatures comes within the vicinity of the enclosed Bernie giving less effort  to go around killing a Shadow Creature.
  • Well, there's Beardlords for you to become insane still.
  • You're more likely to hit it twice rather than once because its distracted.

16 minutes ago, Cryogen said:

@JohnWatson, if a stupid idea works it ain't a stupid idea.

You seem to have forgotten that his idea doesn't work at all. It's just a rubbish idea and the only people who think it's effective are people with a lack of understanding of game mechanics regarding Shadow Creatures. Oh, and thanks for quoting only one sentence to make it look like I never explained anything.

If a stupid idea doesn't work, then it is a stupid idea that doesn't work.

26 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Or you could just play as Wolfgang and obliterate shadows even faster, with easier to acquire equipment.

Really hard to claim how great something is when you have to do backflips to make it work, while there is meta out there that can accomplish the same thing and do it better with less resources.

Absurd that they nerfed Willow when WX-78 is the one who is ridiculous.

Fixed that for you.

3 hours ago, Mantas said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/129483548 This is how I do it whenever I don't wanna take too much time on waiting for nightmares as a Willow

I must admit, it was less rubbish than I expected. It may not be the best way to farm nightmare fuel, but it does work, so I believe I should apologise for saying it won't work. However, I still think that just learning how to kite the shadows is a better way to farm them as you don't need to spend so much time crafting bernies and shadows are already easy enough.

Archived