Oxygen Not included alpha on MAC's

I actually prefer games that don't focus on graphics, but rather on fun gameplay.  Along with Don't Starve another of my faves is Stardew Valley which has a very 90's early-nintendo kind of feel.  (think Mario Brother's style graphics in a farm-simulator that I think beats even the best Harvest Moon games)

7 minutes ago, absimiliard said:

I actually prefer games that don't focus on graphics, but rather on fun gameplay.  Along with Don't Starve another of my faves is Stardew Valley which has a very 90's early-nintendo kind of feel.  (think Mario Brother's style graphics in a farm-simulator that I think beats even the best Harvest Moon games)

I started Stardew Valley and played it for a bit.  I definitely want to get back to it.  I agree that it's a great game, and games in that vein are fun (it's a bit like Harvest Moon).  I tend these days to really enjoy games with a builder or puzzle element, crafting elements, and world building.  I've also been playing ARK, which is a completely different style of game, but functionally is actually sort of in the same vein.  I also like RPGs, and it's nice when they're pretty, but gameplay trumps graphics.  Torment: Tides of Numenara is a great recent example of that.

On 10/06/2017 at 4:04 AM, xepherys said:

@AlexRou - I don't disagree that the Apple hardware platform could be better for gamers, and no C# isn't ideal for making engines, but really it just comes down to adoption rate.  You can build a game engine in C/C++ on a Mac (ask Bungie, they did it for years, even in the 68000 days before PowerPC came along).  Then, most of the games I play don't require high-end graphics cards anymore.  I'd rather play ONI or Don't Starve (or Terraria or similar games) than CoD, and even when I play FPS games, I don't care about running it at 100fps with UHD resolutions and 4x AA.  I'm more interested in the game being fun.  I know that's not a common standpoint these days lol.

But yes, more readily available high-end Apple hardware would make a difference.  And more and more people are building Hackintoshes with higher end hardware all the time, so that's nice to see as well.

Not saying you can't use C/C++, saying you have to use obj c to deal with the window/input system which then calls C/C++. Is a pain in the Potatocup. And then every crossplatform graphics API is going to have some Apple "tweaks" making devs have to change things in certain areas, sometimes even changing the entire program flow if you thought a function was non blocking.

I agree that gameplay is much more important than graphics, but I don't like games being limited by hardware either (when everyone else has better hardware). Infact I can think of some legit uses of mid/high end GPUs that will improve gameplay, for example ONI, if ONI used the GPU to do the fluid simulations then we will have fluid mixing and much better/faster flow and maybe even thermal convection where hot gases go up and cold gases go down. Or if a RTS used the GPU to process units then the unit count can go up by a lot making gameplay very different from having a small number of units.

Those are the kinds of games that will never end up on a mac because there are too few players with hardware that can play them.

Like for the game below they had to use Metal (mac specific graphics api, ohh btw it's in obj c) to get the game running good enough. They even require OSX to be updated because for some reason for Apple, driver bug fixes mean having to update to a new OSX version. So instead of waiting for Nvidia/AMD to release new drivers like on windows/linux, on macs you're going to have to wait for the next OSX release cycle. 

TLDR: Dev on macs is a pain in the arse that forces you do use everything mac specific if you want anything more complicated than casual games or basic graphics.

BTW Video is of the windows version, I cannot find any clear screenshots/videos that specifically say it is the mac version.

On 6/9/2017 at 5:13 PM, absimiliard said:

If you can find it, try the original Torment: Planescape.  Head and shoulders above Numenera in my opinion -- though that's because I adore the setting.  I'll have to look at ARK, I know nothing about it.

Torment: Planescape is, as far as I'm concerned, in the top 3 RPGs ever made.  I love Numenara, but it doesn't compare to T:P, I agree.

Interestingly, ONI shows up in Steam under my Mac games.  It even "installs", though I have no idea what it installs because it isn't an .app file.  Still, that's unusual for games that are Windows-only.  

Archived