Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie ?

Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie or anyone else ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie or anyone else ?

3 minutes ago, Master Jand said:

The timer of 17 hours starts...

Who will win?

*checks watch*

hmm...

*sets up lawn chair with umbrella and takes out the iced tea and lemon squares*

*puts on shades*

If you want some, just come over... I'mma get some shut eye O__O

We've derailed this thread too much we should pull out ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) before someone calls the moderators on us

thank you all for replying i challenge everyone to reply on everything i write it is going to be a long word wall please be patient and read it all 

1- is is not Maxwell fault  he cared about her a lot  and he protected her when she entered his secret room and after she is out he seem to be exhausted and second she got herself into this miss any woman with half brain would notes that some thing wrong and would ask to quit and i am sure 100% Maxwell will let her quit she know it was dangerous but she never quit it is her fault  and after he and her got into DS world Maxwell mention that the Nightmare Throne is very painful and he changed him  from William to Maxwell and maybe it some point he also has a split personality the and after some time the tow personalities combine into one just like charlie so Maxwell and Charlie have suffered Equally the only thing i hate very much that most fans think that charlie has the right to be mad at Maxwell and that is very wrong she has no right to be mad at Maxwell at all @CaptainChaotica and @Donke60 should read this carefully 

2- could you just please stop blaming Maxwell for everything he suffered enough instead you can blame "them" or Shadow Creatures

3- when i said "he should kill her by Stabbing her in the back with Dark Sword" maybe as a Self-defense he came and try to talk to her and ask her to stop but then she try to kill him so he kill her as a Self-defense

4- how do you thank there is any way to save Charlie ?

5- maybe "they" got bored from Charlie after some time and maybe they will want the king back and they will force him back i did not said any thing about him want to be back on the throne

i am waiting for your replies

No.  I did indeed read it VERY carefully.  _I just don't agree with you_.  At all. Charlie may have realised she was to blame for herself being in this world (although she didn't KNOW the book was gonna eat her, and was originally just checking up on him out of concern) when she could think rationally, but after who knows how long of being the Grue...?  In other words, whether or not you think she has a legit _right_ to be mad at him, _she probably still IS anyway_. 

Although maybe she's cheering up a bit nowadays--"ultimate" power tends to do that to a person.

At any rate, I very definitely do NOT think (a) it's HER fault that MAXWELL is here, for god's sake and (b) that Maxwell should want to stab HER.  What.  The eff.  That just seems to come out of nowhere.  He feels very sorry for what happened to her.  _Whether you think it was his fault or not_, he DOES feel sorry.  Not angry.  (Well, not at her.  At himself, yes.  At Them, definitely.  Her, no.)

Anyway yeah.  I am not ignoring you.  I did indeed read the whole thing.  I.  Just don't.  Agree.  And never will.  So we'll have to leave it at that, 'cos I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me, and it would just be a lot of painful going around and around and around the same old topics that would lead nowhere and accomplish nothing. There'd be no point.

And this is a silly thing to get angry over anyway--but, I don't like being called out like this.  So, there's my response.  It ain't changing.

EDIT:  Actually I liked this thread a lot better when it was derailed into an imaginary "election" for the throne with Vladimir Duplicant sabotaging everything.  Can we please go back to the silly nonsense?  Personally I vote for fourth-party candidate Wickerbottom--she seems to know what she's doing.

...Notorious

28 minutes ago, yousif7733 said:

ter she is out he seem to be exhausted and second she got herself into this miss any woman with half brain would notes that some thing wrong and would ask to quit and i am sure 100% Maxwell will let her quit she know it was dangerous but she never quit it is her fault  and after he and her got into DS world Maxwell mention that the Nightmare Throne is very painful and he changed him  from William to Maxwell and maybe it some point he also has a split personality the and after some time the tow personalities combine into one just like charlie so Maxwell and Charlie have suffered Equally the only thing i hate very much that most fans think that charlie has the right to be mad at Maxwell and that is very wrong she has no right to be mad at Maxwell at all @CaptainChaotica and @Donke60 should read this caref

I *have* read this carefully and would just like to point out that you are bringing some weirdass baggage to this. Maxwell invites dark powers into his life out of vanity and the desire for glory and when someone who cares about him tries to find out what's going on and help, he ruins her life too. And it's all HER fault. She should have known better! In fact, it's *her* fault that Maxwell has to suffer so much knowing that he turned her into a monster. How can her pain at being turned into a monster possibly compare to HIS pain at knowing he caused it? How dare she even think that he should be held responsible for his own behavior, when all of this is HER fault? I mean, dude, LISTEN to yourself.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

No.  I did indeed read it VERY carefully.  _I just don't agree with you_.  At all. Charlie may have realised she was to blame for herself being in this world (although she didn't KNOW the book was gonna eat her, and was originally just checking up on him out of concern) when she could think rationally, but after who knows how long of being the Grue...?  In other words, whether or not you think she has a legit _right_ to be mad at him, _she probably still IS anyway_. 

Although maybe she's cheering up a bit nowadays--"ultimate" power tends to do that to a person.

At any rate, I very definitely do NOT think (a) it's HER fault that MAXWELL is here, for god's sake and (b) that Maxwell should want to stab HER.  What.  The eff.  That just seems to come out of nowhere.  He feels very sorry for what happened to her.  _Whether you think it was his fault or not_, he DOES feel sorry.  Not angry.  (Well, not at her.  At himself, yes.  At Them, definitely.  Her, no.)

Anyway yeah.  I am not ignoring you.  I did indeed read the whole thing.  I.  Just don't.  Agree.  And never will.  So we'll have to leave it at that, 'cos I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me, and it would just be a lot of painful going around and around and around the same old topics that would lead nowhere and accomplish nothing. There'd be no point.

And this is a silly thing to get angry over anyway--but, I don't like being called out like this.  So, there's my response.  It ain't changing.

EDIT:  Actually I liked this thread a lot better when it was derailed into an imaginary "election" for the throne with Vladimir Duplicant sabotaging everything.  Can we please go back to the silly nonsense?  Personally I vote for fourth-party candidate Wickerbottom--she seems to know what she's doing.

...Notorious

you have very Solid points i did not want any one to convince i just want to know your opinion and you gave it to me so thank you for the fast reply and Charlie is very hostile remember what she did to poor Wilson so i do not think the will treat Maxwell any better so maybe and i said maybe he will have to kill her if you do not want to reply any more that is fine and if you want to that is also fine it is up to you

beside i am waiting for others to reply

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

I *have* read this carefully and would just like to point out that you are bringing some weirdass baggage to this. Maxwell invites dark powers into his life out of vanity and the desire for glory and when someone who cares about him tries to find out what's going on and help, he ruins her life too. And it's all HER fault. She should have known better! In fact, it's *her* fault that Maxwell has to suffer so much knowing that he turned her into a monster. How can her pain at being turned into a monster possibly compare to HIS pain at knowing he caused it? How dare she even think that he should be held responsible for his own behavior, when all of this is HER fault? I mean, dude, LISTEN to yourself.

i did not say it is all her fault it is just her fault that hes stayed with him she should leave him when she know some thing is wrong but that is in the past now half of the fault is on Maxwell and the other is on Charlie

My vote?

Charlie.

(animated-fireworks-image-0051.gif)

Why Do I Vote for Miss Charlotte in These Elections:

1) skilful story of heroine empowerment created by Klei (read on): a pawn-to-queen scheme? With all the chessboard references (and just how attractive the game is if you catch my drift), it’s close to ingenious.

2) new way of ruling: where Maxwell (as a king, AKA the figure capable of moving just one field at a time) just followed the “spam mobs to kill ‘em” approach, Charlie (as a queen, moving as far as she wishes in any direction, that is blessed with a good amount of choice) instead introduces the carrot-stick-and-stickers strategy: those who make the effort (marble stuff, spelunking, shadow clockworks, the bee queen, the antlion, Klaus – the last one not specifically her design, but unleashed by her) are rewarded (quality of life structures, objects, food); stickers as decoration (boy, love me some of the fences and statues!).

3) fanart! Amazing fanart fuel. Just think about it.

4) more sophisticated dapperness. Just see her redesigns: she’s got her own style and sticks to it.

5) doesn’t smoke! Like, really. It’s a serious plus.

6) unsuitable for the forums, but TOTALLY ACCEPTED ON DA AND DISCORD fanart. Trust me. Ask people around. @Quoth143, @halfrose, @minespatch, @Maslak, @PanAzej... OK, I'll stop now.

Maybe. Perhaps.

7) an engaging switch of roles upon Maxwell’s dethronement – he’s now back to a pawn, possibly a slightly stronger figure (since he still retains a bit of THEIR power, AKA puppets). Moreveor, he can meet any of his ex-captives. This makes for excellent writer fuel.

8) bringing the transients from separate islands together: once again, writer fuel. Yes, you can take your shipping equipment.

9) DID I MENTION FANART???

Okaaay...

I wonder why I join in at all. Oh well.

1 hour ago, yousif7733 said:

after he and her got into DS world Maxwell mention that the Nightmare Throne is very painful and he changed him  from William to Maxwell

Before Maxwell came, there was an insecure Brit named William. This man all but vanished when his hamartia, namely hubris, took over upon finding the Codex Umbra.

He had a choice - to use it or not. He chose to use it - for his own personal gain of becoming wealthy, influential, topmost, famous (he clearly used to have self-respect issues and wanted people to like him). William was replaced or, more suitably if we compare his remorse for his wrongful acts in DST, dominated by Maxwell, the man who embodied everything William was not. His choice, his consequences.

1- is is not Maxwell fault  he cared about her a lot  and he protected her when she entered his secret room and after she is out he seem to be exhausted

It's nice he cared (cares in my humble opinion).

And what?

He should have ditched the Codex in the first place even before meeting Charlie, but at least afterwards. He was wealthy and respected by the time. More than that, Charlie herself advised "taking a break". We don't know if the man on the portrait in the flat was a conscious embodiment of Maxwell. For all we know, he might or might not have been. However, if he was conscious, he should have cancelled the show in Cisco and get the heck out with his friend. FAST.

He didn't.

William would have never had the confidence and debonair of Maxwell he so desired and couldn't achieve without the power of THEIRS, and so he kept quiet.

second she got herself into this miss any woman with half brain would notes that some thing wrong and would ask to quit and i am sure 100% Maxwell will let her quit she know it was dangerous but she never quit it is her fault

Oh yes, we immediately think about eldritch powers when our boss seems somewhat bonkers. Don't we all?

[sarcasm mode off]

Remember the timeline. In that era, finding reputable work for a woman was no easy task. For all accounts, Charlie threw herself onto the depths - a lot of abuse was possible. When it turned out Maxwell was evidently a kind and amicable boss, she never looked back to whatever life she came from. She liked Maxwell (or more? I don't know and like it the ambiguous way) - she didn't want to cut ties and run. Tell me, if your friend starts behaving oddly, do you abandon them and flee or stay and try to support them?

2- could you just please stop blaming Maxwell for everything he suffered enough instead you can blame "them" or Shadow Creatures

I doubt anyone is exclusively blaming him. However, it was his own choice to take a random awfully creepy book and when shadows started emerging, just go "Huttah!" and use them as show props. People need to pay for their own stupidity by facing the consequences. He also could have sacrificed himself on the Throne and just persevere instead of luring in transients if he was so pure and vestal.

3- when i said "he should kill her by Stabbing her in the back with Dark Sword" maybe as a Self-defense he came and try to talk to her and ask her to stop but then she try to kill him so he kill her as a Self-defense

And who says Charlie can't talk? Perhaps she simply doesn't want to talk with Max?

Besides, good luck with stabbing the Grue at night. Light or riot. Also, imagine Wilson or any other transient just coming to the Throne Room in DS, curtsying and going "Dear Mister Maxwell, how 'bout you just... kinda stop this mess? I mean, how many houndii shootii can we have?" and him "Yeah, sure, pal, why not" - this is where my immersion is in shatters, weeping in the corner.

4- how do you thank there is any way to save Charlie ?

*ominous smile*

I'm a writer. If I were Klei, it would mean I had amazing and long-lasting writer fuel with the status quo - why would I create a direct end to this by saving her?

Yes, I know, I'm horrible.

Personally, I have an idea and it succeeded in a piece I wrote, but it is fanon, not canon, and I'm not going to steal Klei's thunder. One phrase: it's a cycle, so why not introduce a flaw to it?

5- maybe "they" got bored from Charlie after some time and maybe they will want the king back and they will force him back i did not said any thing about him want to be back on the throne

So far, THEY seem to get much more sophisticated amusement out of Maestra's reign. It's more creative than just a mob arena.

Also, @ShadowDuelist, I bet the first thoughts of the ones on the Throne were more or less like...

Maxwell: Oh, crap. Well, I'm a captive. But a captive KING! And if I get some other sop to take the place, I'll be free and still famous back in Cisco! OK, let's find some freaks to pit against the wilderness...

Charlie: Fine. Silly men and out and probably already wrestling in the mud, good riddance. First, let's clean this kitsch Game of Thrones setting a bit... Flowers! Marble! Little frilly cakes! Then we can talk business with some insane monsters.

Wilson: OhdarnohdarnohdarnohdarnICAN'TMOVE!!! I'm scared senseless and so thirsty I'd drink from a potato! MAAAXWEEELLLLLL!!! *the hallowed Potato Cup materialises*

59 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

I have no idea what's happening anymore >_>

As a writer, what interests me the most in the exchange (on top of fallacious argumentation) is what misogynous double standard type of trope prevails. Let’s face it: in DS, Charlie was a damsel in distress turned rogue (and mindless as the Grue, which is very important). First, a bubbly show prop (as Maxwell didn’t need distraction – these were no tricks of his, but a carefully-created trap of THEIRS, so THEY were wilfully lending him a fraction of THEIR power to lure him in). Then, a monster in the night, deranged and driven by instinct. This changes in DST when Klei introduces a skilfully-handled heroine empowerment: from a pawn on the chessboard, Charlie becomes the strongest figure of all (remember, still a figure, as they are all bound to the board). Does it fit everyone?

Heck, no.

@yousif7733 I don't blame Maxwell for everything. However I do blame him for starting the whole DS timeline. I understand he did what he did out of desparation but this was the correct or a correct choice. He should of stopped when he first noticed problems and he didn't and because of his decisions.

• Charlie is a monster
  • He has destroyed many peoples lives or given them unhuman qualities
  • He Wes a person locked in a box (for idk how long)
  • His actions led the the death of an innocent kid.
  • None of the survivors know if there is any chance of getting any of their lives back.
  • The survivors die again and again and again (it is canon that Wilson does die a few times in the story)

I know it sounds like I'm blaming everything on Maxwell and I tell you now the shadow creatures took the reigns probably after the Final Act.
and Maxwell has suffered and I wish that none of the survivors suffer anymore.

But I cannot look passed what Maxwell's selfish actions have meant for many other people
So at the most  Maxwell owes everyone an apology. 
I vote Wes cause those shades brah

Archived