Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie ?

Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie or anyone else ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie or anyone else ?

Hi everyone who do you think is better sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie ?

my own opinion is this 

Maxwell

the creator of the world the character play in and he welcome you very time you start playing and he has the Codex Umbra and  he create almost everything and he said that when he came world "There wasn't much here when I showed up" and "Just dust. And the Void. And Them" but his quote about Merm “They were already here when I arrived.” so that means Maxwell create about 90% of the world from nothing  and the 10% is preexisted things and he knows a lot of secrets about the world like the Ancient Civilization and many other things

Charlie

the night monster i thing she is half human half shadow that is way the Nightmare Throne did not pull her and she does not welcome you very time you start playing  and she is just modifying the world that Maxwell already created and she can not create her own world  and she does not have the Knowledge that Maxwell has and  she just add a few things like beequuen and Toadstool and Reanimated Skeleton and Roses and some more other things and she redecorated the Throne room 

so yes i hate Charlie  and i do not think we can save her and Maxwell need to clean up the miss and kill her by Stabbing her in the back with Dark Sword 

it was all his fault why did he want an an assistant can't he hold the codex by himself he was doing just fine alone as Maxwell the Great

so what is your opinion who do think is better to sit on the throne Maxwell or Charlie ?

1 hour ago, yousif7733 said:

(word wall)

It wouldn't really make much sense if Maxwell killed Charlie, because she was his magical assistant, and she was with him the whole time. 

But it would be cool if Charlie would greet the player upon them arriving through the Florid Postern. Then again, it wouldn't really work because the player would be able to move around while Charlie was talking, (unless they changed that of course) and she'd either have to appear every time a new player arrived or only for the first one.

Maxwell might have made most of the world, but it feels like Charlie would actually be more powerful. While Maxwell had the throne, Charlie WAS shadows and darkness (and still is to some degree). Now, in addition to her previous powers, she now has the throne too. It seems like she's got greater control then Maxwell had. I mean just look at what she created compared to Maxwell. The creatures she made are far stronger then anything Maxwell made. And then there's the whole deal with the atrium that's still unfolding. It just seems like she has a stronger grasp over shadows then Maxwell did.

So who do I like better on the throne? I'd have to say no one. It seems to cost you some of your humanity. Compare William to Maxwell. They're the same person, but William didn't seem as cruel as Maxwell is/was. Look at the ANR animation on the main menu. You can see her literally fighting with herself. Maxwell and Charlie aren't the real antagonists here. These two are victims. Just twisted and warped puppets made for the amusement of Them.

51 minutes ago, yousif7733 said:

he knows a lot of secrets about the world like the Ancient Civilization and many other things

Who's to say Charlie doesn't know ancient secrets too? She was everywhere darkness was. So she's been in the ruins. And who knows what things They could have told her?

55 minutes ago, yousif7733 said:

so yes i hate Charlie  and i do not think we can save her and Maxwell need to clean up the miss and kill her by Stabbing her in the back with Dark Sword 

You should feel sorrow, not hatred. Maxwell didn't want this. He seems to feel deeply sorry about how they ended up there. And now she hates him for all of this. Weather it's genuine or brought up by Them is up to debate, but it doesn't change the fact that Maxwell is feeling hatred from someone he likely loves.

1 hour ago, yousif7733 said:

why did he want an an assistant can't he hold the codex by himself he was doing just fine alone as Maxwell the Great

Assistants are almost required for stage magicians. Not only do they help with tricks, but they add a little more flair to the tricks and make it a more enjoyable experience to watch.

Wow.  _Stab her in the back with a sword_?  THAT'S a little violent!  Also...back when they were both humans on Earth, they were very close and quite possibly in love with each other. (Charlie totally had a crush on William; not sure about the other way around.)  He's not gonna do that to his friend!  Some of Maxwell's quotes are all about how _sorry_ he feels for what he dragged her into...

Also also, Maxwell...(dark, cynical laugh)  Maxwell does NOT want the throne back.  Trust me.  Every now and then he might remember the power and get tempted, but then think about it a bit more and the trappedness and the endless strangled time and the...everything comes flooding back and NO NO NO, I'm fine here, really.  I'm fine.  Really.  Now just let me get my meatballs and sleep on my itchy straw mat in the rain in peace.

Magicians do typically have assistants...but in this case, Charlie got worried that William was gone, searched his apartment, and found the book _after he disappeared_.  Then it dragged HER in!  If anything, CHARLIE should want to stab MAXWELL. (And maybe she _does_ want to...or half of her does, anyway.)

Maxwell may have (re?) created the world from the dust that was the only thing Their apocalyptic mistakes left behind; Charlie has more style--and who's to say she CAN'T create an entire world?  Maybe she thinks this one is a good enough starting point to add her own to, and simply wants to do her own painting, rather than replace the entire canvas...?  If she came here with just a void, maybe we'd find out.  But there's already a perfectly decent Class-M dimension in the Goldilocks zone here (with primitive civilizations, even!); let's just spruce it up a little.  Maybe some flowers, you know, some tasteful statues...a nice end-table here or there... 

Who do I like better on the throne?  Well, nobody really--they were both victims.  But without them both having been there at some point there'd be no game (or at least no Together as it is now--as compared to the beta version with the Jury-Rigged Portal) SO...

Well, without Maxwell we wouldn't have the whole thing in general.  But Charlie gave us pet KITTIES!  And holidays!  And something Maxwell never could, for some reason...(gasp!) GATES!

So I'd say you need both.  Maxwell for the beginning (Don't Starve), Charlie for the refined version (Don't Starve Together).  But neither one of them _wants_ to be controlled by/partly turned into a shadow monster. It doesn't to be a pleasant experience.

...Notorious

*claps at @Sinister_Fang's summary*

Basically^

I actually like the current setup.

1. First off, we don't know if Charlie is really herself... in the ANR video, we see her 2 sides -- the shadow and the human -- battling for dominance under one form only to be forced to co-exist in one body... and then they fused... the shadow and the human as one... the Queen has taken up the throne, though her mental state is something we have to note. Is she actively trying to kill the players? Is she doing this under duress? Has she finally cracked and is now more Shadow than human?
  2. As stated in sinister's post, she may have the upper hand compared to Maxwell. Her own natural shadow abilities being the Night Monster/Grue could have made her immune to the all-powerful throne... If we remember in DS Alone, the Throne has immense power, it cannot be without someone sitting on it... it destroys anything that damages it... it exists to keep the world alive by drawing energies from the one sitting on the throne. And yet... Charlie... she was able to snatch up Wilson away from the Nightmare Throne... and even change it. (One thing though, she is still apparently the Night monster along with being the Queen... go figure)
  3. At this point in time writing this, @CaptainChaotica has just posted something...
  4. To elaborate further with what Charlie is providing, yes, more content... it seems she is actively making the world more... interesting. Mind you in this (their) world, the ones who should find things interesting are not the players... but THEM... and so I propose that she is actively making the world more interesting for THEIR entertainment... Maxwell had failed THEM, and so I would imagine that they are displeased... and so, instead of having Higgsbury sit on the throne and possibly undermine their efforts (he had, after all, forbidden knowledge but was not under THEIR control).
  5. To that, the moment that Wilson sat on the throne, THEY immediately sought to dethrone him... but who could replace him? And so we have a human in THEIR direct command... Charlie... she has always been there... always watching... hunting... THEY owned her... and so, to cut out any thoughts of insurrection, THEY made her a piece... the Queen... in chess, the Queen is the most powerful piece... the King may be important, but he can only move one tile at a time...
  6. With her sustaining the world AND her having been heavily influenced by THEM, she made for the perfect ruler... her mortal side sustains the throne and the world while THEY will have little to worry about another puppet subverting THEM.
  7. Going back to her creations, we can see that her humanity is still there... through the vicious new additions to the things that want to kill you in this world, she also gives respite and what little joy to be had... from celebrations and companionship (pets, clothes, and the puppets being able to interact with each other instead of being in separate worlds to be miserable alone.) She is Ordered Chaos incarnate...

And so to sum up my thoughts on this... HELL YEAH CHARLIE!! O__O

Though if we're talking about story progression, dethroning Charlie will not be as effective as dethroning Maxwell... it could lead to a good dramatic cinematic video where Maxwell apologizes to Charlie and the world is either destroyed and the puppets are freed OR the world continues to thrive and Mr. Skits takes over the throne O__O

1 hour ago, NeddoFreddo said:

word wall

I love word walls i write and write and get carried away it is not the first time it happened and it is not going to be the last i just can't resist it and i will always get carried away hope you understand and accept that

Just now, yousif7733 said:

I love word walls i write and write and get carried away it is not the first time it happened and it is not going to be the last i just can't resist it and i will always get carried away hope you understand and accept that

Actually, we just use "(word wall)" in place of the quotes to avoid making our own posts longer by copying the quoted post... if you can see our posts below yours, we have word walls too :)

Maxwell, because so far all Charlie has done is make things more convenient, give us optional bosses and made the game into "you are out to kill everything". The former is actually a good  thing, but accompanied with the latter two, it seems like the game is being made to  be a walk in the park. Sorry, Charlie looks like you've completely killed the Grue side of you. Not cool, not cool at all :(

Maxwell at least tried his best to give a challenge... Well, may be not his best, but he at least tried and it worked for a while.

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I mean just look at what she created compared to Maxwell. The creatures she made are far stronger then anything Maxwell made

this is not right if together was an completely offline game the new bosses would have normal health and attack but you have a very good point in everything else

Maxwell was a better villain, Charlie is a stronger villain.

Charlie has the queen of darkness far over your head stature. Which does suit the world which is designed to be about players being dropped into oblivion and then expected to survive. Charlie also displays more noticeable control over the world then Maxwell.

However, Charlie is significantly more distant from players. Little is known or prominent on her identity, her behavior. Her presence on the throne is more comparative to that of a figurehead then anything else. She is in control, but at no point does it really feel like she is your real enemy. She is just the one currently in charge of your Hell.

Maxwell however was significantly better in style. He was the manipulator, the deceiver. He personally finds a way to transport the survivors into the world, he personally taunts them and appears to do so. He even erects statues of himself in the world. He is a dapper, sneering, intelligent and miserable person who wanted happiness and was given power over the world instead. And so he used it to torment others in order to find purpose. He has a very fleshed out and profound biography as a person, and his place as king of the world was both tragic and stylish.

His role as a confidence artist is thematically much more in sync with the fundamentals of the game, Charlie is far too grand and regal for the throne. Maxwell was just a man given power, a pawn, and he actively felt like a real character geared for his role. Charlie does not even remotely feel like a person or a character. Just the icon the plot tells you is your current opponent. She is simply just his mandatory successor. Whether or not her other identity is from Them, or is actually a split personality is the only dynamic element to her character. Otherwise she is just a replacement for the real villain in order to keep the plot rolling.

Maxwell as the original villain was designed to exactly suit the plot. Charlie is just his substitute, who was given a regal theme and alternate identity to make her seem more new and interesting.

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Charlie got worried that William was gone, searched his apartment, and found the book _after he disappeared_.  Then it dragged HER in!  If anything, CHARLIE should want to stab MAXWELL. (And maybe she _does_ want to...or half of her does, anyway

first he did care about her a lot he did protect her when she entered his secret room and after she is out he seem to be exhausted and second she got herself into this miss any woman with half brain would notes that some thing wrong and would ask to quit and i am sure 100% Maxwell will let quit she know it was dangerous but she never quit it is her fault  and after he and her got into DS world Maxwell mention that the Nightmare Throne is very painful and he changed him  from William to Maxwell and maybe it some point he also has a split personality the and after some time the tow personalities combine into one just like charlie so Maxwell and Charlie have suffered Equally the only thing i hate very much that most fans think that charlie has the right to be mad at Maxwell and that is very wrong she has no right to be mad at Maxwell at all

I don't really care who sits on the throne but charile is the more powerful then Maxwell. As the shadows have consumed more of charlie in a way. In a comic strip where maxwell is thrusted out of the throne room and into the DS world through a portal. Some spiders find him and he attemps to use some magic to halt or kill the spiders but it doesn't work so most of Maxwell's power was from the throne and the only power he has left is using the Book as a catalyst to summon puppets but if he did not have the book Maxwell would be powerless.

Spoiler

cyclum.png

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Maxwell, because so far all Charlie has done is make things more convenient, give us optional bosses and made the game into "you are out to kill everything". The former is actually a good  thing, but accompanied with the latter two, it seems like the game is being made to  be a walk in the park. Sorry, Charlie looks like you've completely killed the Grue side of you. Not cool, not cool at all :(

Maxwell at least tried his best to give a challenge... Well, may be not his best, but he at least tried and it worked for a while.

You make good points but I myself try to think of the world more organically and use comics and the cinematic as reference rather then the games logic. As the world is a world and not a top down storybook decorated with stage props.

3 hours ago, yousif7733 said:

charlie has the right to be mad at Maxwell and that is very wrong she has no right to be mad at Maxwell at all

Well it is all his fault I for using the book capturing everybody turning his romantic intrest into a monster
The least he could do is a big old sorry to EVERYBODY.

Anyway I don't really care who is on the throne. Imo I want to see everybody on the throne like a What/if scenario sense the changes to the world are in line with a characters personalitly could make characters seem more dynamic and really fun

I don't really care who sits on the throne but charile is the more powerful then Maxwell. As the shadows have consumed more of charlie in a way. In a comic strip where maxwell is thrusted out of the throne room and into the DS world through a portal. Some spiders find him and he attemps to use some magic to halt or kill the spiders but it doesn't work so most of Maxwell's power was from the throne and the only power he has left is using the Book as a catalyst to summon puppets but if he did not have the book Maxwell would be powerless.

Spoiler

cyclum.png

5 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

You make good points but I myself try to think of the world more organically and use comics and the cinematic as reference rather then the games logic. As the world is a world and not a top down storybook decorated with stage props.

3 hours ago, yousif7733 said:

charlie has the right to be mad at Maxwell and that is very wrong she has no right to be mad at Maxwell at all

Well it is all his fault I for using the book capturing everybody turning his romantic intrest into a monster
The least he could do is a big old sorry to EVERYBODY.

Anyway I don't really care who is on the throne. Imo I want to see everybody on the throne like a What/if scenario sense the changes to the world are in line with a characters personalitly could make characters seem more dynamic and really fun

2 minutes ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Personally, as a Wilson fanboy, I would've loved to see his take on the world. A lot more science and a lot more crazy inventions. 

You wouldn't happen to be the user who used to have a profile pic of Wilson in his Guest of Honor set riding a Beefalo while holding a cane, right?

finally somebody have speaks with my language.

i been waiting for a long time for someone have a different opinion on charlie and maxwell.

and i to tired about fans blaming everything on maxwell,  and charlie well, you know being a queen and everybody loves her. (her shadow hand is freaking annoying!!)

surely they both are victims . i really hope the final update have bitter sweet conclusion to both of them and other survivors.

Archived