Ideas for more stress responses

As you well know, or dont..there are only 2 stress responses currently. I had an idea for more so here they are :

1) Stress eater, when dupe gets stressed it starts eating massive amounts of food."Stress eating".

2) Stress striking, dupe refuses to do certain tasks, preferably tasks they are good at. "Duplicate is on strike".The higher the stress level the more tasks they refuse to do starting at 70%. When it reaches 100% dupe starts running around like a crazy person holding up a red sign "on strike".

3) Stress exhaustion, dupe randomly stops doing what its doing and bows down to breathe heavily (somewhat like when they are out of oxygen). Furthermore dupe is unable to carry  resources and its movement speed is slightly reduced.

if you have any more ideas post them down below.

yeah alcohols, dessert for stress reduction. heat/clothes based metabolism. fat/skinny dupes and speed modifier. train strenght, lose weight, gain muscle. arena/cage fight based combat. breaking stuff like new decor types or drawing mustache on dupa lisa pictures

depressed dupes and doctors. personality types, relations between each dupe, social interaction (greetings, hugs, fighting, digging grave with small ceremony) based on a social skill. a high skill social dupe would be a leader, cheering up others. stress response fighting others causing small injuries. yeah and some kind of romantic interactions, aging and new children dupes with better traits, 10-15 cycles to grow up doing silly things.

Love all ideas, particularly the striking, I totally wanna see a dupe all up in my face with a "ON STRIKE" on show, and their display should raise every other Dupe's stress up as well, snowballing out of control, Dwarf Fortress style!

I would also like to see their stress responses somehow attached to either their traits or their skills.  Possibly going out to damage buildings they may have been trying to build or take it out on whatever's actually been stressing them.  If it's health related it could be to damage the lavatory or shower, if it was sleep related they'd go bonkers on the cots, and if it was food or otherwise they'd do something along those lines.

Stress is something I'd like to see more of, and also really like your idea for an incremental stress response starting at 70% or so.  I'd even say 50% or over (above average) stress should start showing signs of at least vocalizing this, possibly grumbling to other dupes and getting them a bit stress out as well, and past 70% they could start taking physical action until 100% where they go bonkers!

oh, a football manager feature was responding to players. a popup would be above dupe, when clicked would show a panel with choices. for example: "Celeste finds the lack of food disturbing in last days" and options "It wont happen again" / "Give her first/extra ration today"/ "Punish her for complaining"/ "Give her a day off/massage".

Micromanagement and interaction to reduce stress. This "quests" would show up after same stress occurs again with somebody.

And a general talk each day like "Today we need more work " stamina deplete higher, faster job speed for a day."Today we need to do dirty work" +20% stress, no penalty from stepping in cont water, odors, heat. Dupes would be angry at you if they dont like your actions, making filler actions like checking themselves in mirror, swimming in pool or eating extra food. the ones they like you would do less of this.

48 minutes ago, ShamPeiN said:

oh, a football manager feature was responding to players. a popup would be above dupe, when clicked would show a panel with choices. for example: "Celeste finds the lack of food disturbing in last days" and options "It wont happen again" / "Give her first/extra ration today"/ "Punish her for complaining"/ "Give her a day off/massage".

YES. i would love to see an option to give a duplicate a day off to relieve stress. This would help for over stressed dupes without having to deal with setting the right priorities of massage tables and then waiting until they get around to doing it.

What about something like stress induced catatonia, at the very high levels?  Though it could be deadly, depending on where the dupe is when it strikes - if they just freeze and cannot move or be moved?

Or hiding.  It's hard enough to find them when they fall asleep somewhere before you assign a cot - what if a pissed off dupe just hides, to avoid work, stress, etc.?

A noise issue, such as talking or crying or singing (even just la la la over and over) - which would in turn create more stress in those stuck being around them might also drive the player nuts.  Though at this point, I would definitely want to be able to assign This Guy and send him There to work.

And perhaps another stress reliever could be a "safe room" - someplace very aesthetically pleasing and soothing, perhaps even with music, where they could take their day off and ignore the world.

6 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

What about something like stress induced catatonia, at the very high levels?  Though it could be deadly, depending on where the dupe is when it strikes - if they just freeze and cannot move or be moved?

yeah i can imagine them just freezing in position and perhaps shacking a little, it wouldnt be so hard to notice since we get notification about over stress.

6 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

And perhaps another stress reliever could be a "safe room" - someplace very aesthetically pleasing and soothing, perhaps even with music, where they could take their day off and ignore the world.

Well , that makes me actually think of sauna room of some sort but sauna wouldnt work if they were over stressed from heat. Also when im thinking of premade rooms, booths come to mind, like telephone or photo booth but instead meant for relaxation.

Yeah, not a sauna - maybe a cool bath?

Also for a bad reaction, you could also have the "panic flight", where someone just starts screaming and running around, disrupting what others are doing.

I also want a way to kick the ass of the ones who keep breaking stuff.  I just want to be able to smack them!!!

3 hours ago, AuntieBea said:

Also for a bad reaction, you could also have the "panic flight", where someone just starts screaming and running around, disrupting what others are doing.

That's what i was thinking... a freakout!!

the other extreme would be the shutdown, where they just curl up and suck their thumb.

I looked through some of the source code and found this:

public class ANXIOUS
            {
                public static LocString NAME = "Anxious";
                public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant collapses when put under too much pressure";
            }

4 minutes ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

I looked through some of the source code and found this:

public class ANXIOUS
            {
                public static LocString NAME = "Anxious";
                public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant collapses when put under too much pressure";
            }

Well that settles that then.

How about what my stupid dupes keep turning into - "Murderer".  The stressed out dupe will deliberately (rather than accidentally) trap another dupe inside a sealed place, up a ladder that gets taken away, or down a hole that's just a bit too deep, and they starve or suffocate to death.

3 minutes ago, AuntieBea said:

How about what my stupid dupes keep turning into - "Murderer".  The stressed out dupe will deliberately (rather than accidentally) trap another dupe inside a sealed place, up a ladder that gets taken away, or down a hole that's just a bit too deep, and they starve or suffocate to death.

My god... Its a good concept but i wouldnt want to deal with that X D

I hate it every time it happens, too - I take my eyes off them for one moment and some eejit has wandered into the area I'm sealing off, and if I can't get someone to come and make him a hole to get out, he will die - and then night falls, and everyone drops into sleep.  Grr....

Or I wonder for a while why one dupe is standing in one spot for so long, pondering food - until I realize that she can't get down because someone removed the ladder, and she's hungry.  And again, try and get the stupid thing into place before death.

Nah - it would be bad for game balance. 

I still like "hiding", though.  Someone who you can't command again until you find them wherever they're hiding on the screen.

Can we just copypaste Darkest Dungeon's stress system with afflictions and virtues? if we're gonna get more way to get diked over then we should have some positive stress response too. Maybe specific to the professions of dupes.

Like body builder - Authority - attempts to forcefully stop duplicants in the act of relieving stress by breaking machines. May injure duplicant who is then automatically carried to sickbay for healing, resumes duties when healed. Also gives a good use for the damn medical cot.

1 minute ago, DrBrobotnik said:

Can we just copypaste Darkest Dungeon's stress system with afflictions and virtues? if we're gonna get more way to get diked over then we should have some positive stress response too. Maybe specific to the professions of dupes.

Like body builder - Authority - attempts to forcefully stop duplicants in the act of relieving stress by breaking machines. May injure duplicant who is then automatically carried to sickbay for healing, resumes duties when healed. Also gives a good use for the damn medical cot.

darkest dungeon had debuffs if i remember correctly, those were a pain in the ass to cure cause of how time flows in the game.

2 minutes ago, mr_anderson said:

darkest dungeon had debuffs if i remember correctly, those were a pain in the ass to cure cause of how time flows in the game.

Yeah, maybe not debuffs, just stress responses.
Selfish, will always think of themselves first even when somebodys life is on the line, such as taking a starving mans last bit of food.

Hopeless, randomly stops performing a task with a blank stare.

Abusive, yells at other dupes to work harder, raising their stress. 

8 minutes ago, DrBrobotnik said:

Yeah, maybe not debuffs, just stress responses.
Selfish, will always think of themselves first even when somebodys life is on the line, such as taking a starving mans last bit of food.

Hopeless, randomly stops performing a task with a blank stare.

Abusive, yells at other dupes to work harder, raising their stress. 

haha yeah that would work.

Maybe as a stress reliever, have a punching bag for those who destroy things - you could assign them, just like the massage table, and they could go hit the bag til they calmed down.

Singing - someone who, to deal with their stress, goes lalala off key incessantly, and no one else will work within earshot.

32 minutes ago, AuntieBea said:

Maybe as a stress reliever, have a punching bag for those who destroy things - you could assign them, just like the massage table, and they could go hit the bag til they calmed down.

lmao, that is quite good.

Love the idea of a punching bag for the dupes who like to destroy things - but how about a bucket for the stress vomiters?  Geez - how much I want to kill my stress vomiters. 

I honestly think when a dupe reaches 100% stress there ought to be a chance they start killing each other.  I mean think about it - you're running low on O2, then your buddy decides instead of digging for algae as he's been tasked to do, he decides to break the very equipment you all need to stay alive just to relieve his stress.  

I'd shoot the guy, no question.  Or say you've just mopped up your friends vomit for the 5th time, and he decides to barf all over you, AGAIN, right before hopping onto the massage table.

Maybe it's too dark, but I'd love to see these guys start choking each other at moments like that - or pull out their guns and start blasting.  

Perhaps it would be nice to have a 'brig' where you can put destructive or particularly barfy dupes - so you can deal with fixing the base instead of constantly dealing with all the problems they're causing.  I've played through 5 different bases now, and it feels like once one person stress barfs, it's all over.  All the stress everyone gains cleaning it up means everyone else starts barfing themselves or breaking things, and no one has time to fix the crucial things that were causing stress in the first place.  

It might also be nice to have a stress relief event when something big gets fixed - such as successfully fixing oxygen generation.  That would be a huge relief, to go from constantly suffocating to breathing easily.  Also that might make crisis aversion possible - if the dupes do manage to fix their situation, everyone's stress drops by 40%.   

2 hours ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

It might also be nice to have a stress relief event when something big gets fixed - such as successfully fixing oxygen generation.  That would be a huge relief, to go from constantly suffocating to breathing easily.  Also that might make crisis aversion possible - if the dupes do manage to fix their situation, everyone's stress drops by 40%.   

yeah...that. Cause in real life you also get a bigger relief after the stress suddenly drops.

Also what about something opposite of stress like euphoria, for example?

47 minutes ago, mr_anderson said:

yeah...that. Cause in real life you also get a bigger relief after the stress suddenly drops.

Also what about something opposite of stress like euphoria, for example?

Wouldn't that be oxygen overload?  Or oxygen deprivation - like huffing?

I would love a way to deliberately shut up annoying dupes in a brig or something.  But just like accidentally killing them, any dupe can move in and out and in and out of a space before any other gets their ass over to shut them in.  So annoying.

3 minutes ago, AuntieBea said:

Wouldn't that be oxygen overload?  Or oxygen deprivation - like huffing?

Euphoria is an affective state in which a person experiences pleasure or excitement and intense feelings of well-being and happiness.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Hoffman said:

Geez - how much I want to kill my stress vomiters. 

When the patch rolls around, it will let pressure airlocks recognize dupes and refuse to open. You can set up a room with only one exit, block it off with a pressure airlock, find a gas source (chlorine, hydrogen, carbion dioxide),pull it to the room vis a gas pump... Eh, I think you see where this is going... you can make a ******* gas chamber for your dupes to die in, okay? I'm... just gonna let that sit there for a while...

How you all doing btw?

Archived