Ideas for better airflow/gas control

A few additions related to air flow that I think would add huge value to the game:

• some kind of fan to control how gases move within a space - could be used to clear contaminated air, push CO2 towards a scrubber etc.
  • one way/specific gas-permeable tiles - for example, tiles that allow free movement of oxygen while limiting hydrogen to a one-directional flow would be a game changer

well you can kind of filter air at the moment but its extremely inefficient because you use a ton of power and the air pumps take up a lot of space. I like the idea of controlling the air flow with special gas tiles. They should also make the air move more rapidly because at the moment there are a lot of problems with pressure. What about active gas tiles that filter the air and provide more air movement through out the area.

I would say filtering tiles are a bit of a cheat. Fans though, those I would definitely approve of. Sometimes you get this weird pile up of a gas in one corner and you basically have to redesign your base to get rid of it. Fans that simply pushed gasses a couple blocks over or up would be great.

I like both of these, but the fan idea requires a retooling of the gas system since added vectors isnt factored into movement. You'd also need to say how far the fan's effect goes and how powerful it is: if its too strong, the area around the fan could become unbreathable, and if the distance is too short it could fail to be useful (requiring multiple fans in a row). You might need a slider for force, like what the generators have.

A fan that would be sized (and built) as an airlock which could move gas from one side to the other could be a nice toy to play with. Tile wise it could count as mesh (= be walkable).

It wouldn't need to have the properties of a gas pump (like being able to create a vacuum) but should it be able to create a 'pressure differential' of 250g and be able to move relevant amounts of gas between the sides it could enable some nice ventilation setups.

Fans would be nice as a low energy way to speed the movement of gases.  Gas pumps are currently much too energy intensive IMO (twice the wattage of a super computer, because that makes sense).  Specific gas filtering tiles would probably make things a little too easy.

Archived