Dont Starve Together any tips for me?

Hello there, I recently got Don't Starve Together and I was wondering if anyone has some good tips for me. I can only get around day 8 if I'm lucky usually. Can I have tips for getting food easily, and finding the gold nugget boulders, and how to get lots of sanity. Thank you! P.S I know my name is DontStarveStar, I just couldn't figure out any names lol.

Welcome, young padawan! We'd need to know what sort of thing you have issues with. Out of the box, you need to scout the world a good bit within the first week, I say. Points of interest: the swamp (free food all year round if you're careful, defence from giants and hounds, the only place you find reeds in by default, which are a very important component), the desert (tumbleweeds with a chance for various loot, gears and gems included), rockylands (for rocks and gold, and nitre; you can also use caves), the pig king (especially if you don't have caves enabled: he will give you gold for meat and trinkets found in graves and tumbleweeds), Glommer's statue (to get a sanity-raising companion during the full moon who will stay with you as long as you keep it protected), the savannah with beefalos (for shaving their wool to make clothes), MacTusk igloos.

Food is not hard to come by. You can survive even without the food-processing equipment (crockpot, drying racks, birdcage, beebox, fridge, farmplot) if you want. Very easy and safe food sources for a beginner: killing butterflies (a nice HP boost, you one-shot them unarmed), rabbits from traps placed directly on their holes, moleworms killed by Ctrl + F after baiting them with some mineral, after making a fishing rod, fishing in frog ponds at dusk or night, in mosquito ones during the day, and any time in the caves for eels; of course you also get berries, carrots and birchnuts from chopping birches, but these are not available in winter.

An important note on mushrooms: raw blue ones raise health, lower sanity; cooked green ones do the reverse. Red ones are poisonous, unless you use them in a crockpot. Wigfrid can't eat vegetarian food, so she cannot use them, everybody else can.

Sanity is gained from sleeping (unless you play Wickerbottom), prototyping recipes, sanity-raising food and clothes, from hugging befriended pigs (not as Webber) or Glommer, planting trees (as Woodie), shaving (Wilson and Webber), picking flowers. Except as far as flowers go, don't pick the ones near your beeboxes or you won't have honey. Do be aware being insane doesn't mean you die, it just spawns shadow creatures which attack you.

Now, either tell us what you're struggling with or visit one of our servers :). Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

If you have trouble that early on try this
it's not perfect but it covers basics

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Getting_Started_Guide

we can help more as be more spefic on problems you have or who you play
I suggest you play alone first till you can survive comfortably

I disagree. It's for DS, so it has pauses, a world all for yourself, lower mob health and all that. Asking would be best. I'll see about adding some notes to this guide at least.

EDIT:

There's no pause in DST without mods.

Mobs typically have twice as much health (see the wiki, but click the DST version) - or more.

Crafting a campfire on the first night is rather poor choice; you'll want charcoal for a crockpot and drying racks, Make a torch and stay near a cluster of trees when night hits, ignite one, unequip the torch. They should burn long enough, if not, wash, rinse, repeat, then chop and collect charcoal.

Gathering flowers for a garland right from the start is a waste. You get 5 sanity per flower, you need 12 for a wreath, that means it's not worth collecting them before you need 60 sanity. Unless you're low on health since eating fresh flowers heals.

Eating in the first day (or two) is not necessary. Unless you're Wolfgang, you only need to be above 0 hunger at all times, not necessarily full.

A base near beefalos or pigs is not the brightest idea since they have attacking periods (spring for beefs, full moons for piggies), manure isn't that important, and typically the resources in their biomes don't sustain you. It's a good idea to have them close, but don't think you need to be best neighbours. NEVER base like this as Webber, you'll be attacked.

As for avoiding tentacles, they're not "crazy enemies". You don't have to engage them, just watch where you're walking and apply divide et impera everywhere in the swamp. Merms, spiders and tentacles fighting means more loot for you.

Farms are not infinite food supplies. They don't work in winter at all, need to be cooled down with a flingo in summer, and can be ignored altogether if you like the idea of living mostly off meat, fish, eggs, honey and ice plus vegetables and fruit gathered. Moreover, after some time, you need to fertilise farms.

Digging up stuff other than thorny bushes from the swamp is inconsiderate now, because replanted resources catch disease after a bit (not to mention that they make it difficult to coexist on a public server if that one John Doe hoards everything he sees). Berrybushes and grass tufts need to be fertilised before first harvest after replanting and then require constant maintenance.

You don't have to follow the tip that, quote, "any beehives encountered need to be destroyed". In fact, you shouldn't - think about other players too. Get one honeycomb, wait a bit, let bees respawn, get another, gather friends and kill a bee queen...

Do not hammer pighuts, for GLaDOS's sake. They're the only source of renewable pig skin. Instead, feed four monster meat to a pig and kill the werepig. Remember, you're not alone in DST (at least by design).

Life-giving amulets now can be haunted by ghosts to resurrect with no penalty.

3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

I disagree. It's for DS, so it has pauses, a world all for yourself, lower mob health and all that. Asking would be best.

I'm well aware though I thought it would teach the basics on what to do on day's though one person to fight mobs with  increased  health is annoying and can be a slow down

19 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

I'm well aware though I thought it would teach the basics on what to do on day's though one person to fight mobs with  increased  health is annoying and can be a slow down

I disagree with a lot of tips shown in that guide, so I'll keep editing the post above to play advocatus diaboli.

EDIT:

Done, consult:

1. Only harvest carrots and berries when you need them, especially juicy berries. They rot quickly and take longer to regenerate. If you do pick them, eat and/or cook them in a crockpot ASAP. If you're going to eat them as-is, consider cooking them over a fire as they restore more health that way, if I recall correctly.

2. You seem to have this one down, but rush gold for a science machine, then an alchemy engine. You can hammer the science machine once the engine is up to recover resources. Prototype a shovel and dig up a few bushes (and grass/saplings for that matter) that are a distance away from either the spawn portal or your chosen base location. Replant them at your base - more on this, in point 8.

3. Carry a logsuit and a spear on you at all times. Always equip them if you're fighting something - that damage reduction is no joke. Ideally, carry a backpack with half a stack or more of the following: Rocks, flint, logs, twigs, grass. Then you can usually make basic supplies on-demand. This is more of a preference thing for me than a general tip, however.

3. Meatballs, meatballs, METABALLS MEATBALLS.

One of your main earlygame goals (Especially if playing as Wigfrid) should be to secure enough charcoal (see Arlesienne's post above) and cut stone for a minimum of one crockpot. From there, you can use 1 monster meat and 3 filler (berries during most of the year, ice during winter) to make meatballs, which are basically a starver's staple food, and why a number of mods on the workshop single them out to nerf :B

Ideally you should make about 4 crockpots - 2 on the left, 2 on the right, with a small gap in the middle for a pair of fridges when you obtain gears. If you place the fridges first, you won't be able to squeeze the crockpots together properly and this can interfere with quickly cooking large quantities of food.

If you secure regular meat and morsels, you could also make meaty stew from 1 monster meat (spiders/hounds), 1 meat (pigs?) and 2 morsels (moleworms/rabbits). Usually not very efficient unless you play as Wolfgang or an upgraded WX, but the option still exists.

4. Once you have a stable supply of metaballs meatballs secured, make your way to the caves (assuming that you added caves on worldgen - you should!) and harvest minimum 2 lightbulbs, but ideally around 10 or so. Then go back to your alchemy engine and make a lantern, or maybe two. Use the rest of the lightbulbs for refueling. Try to aim for a mining hat (Capture a firefly - secure silk from spiders) at your earliest convenience.

5. To fight (single) hounds effectively, run from it until it bites, then run in, smack it and immediately run out again as it bites, then run back in. Repeat until dead. With 2 hounds, you might be best facetanking until one is dead, then return to the kiting technique for the survivor. With 3+ hounds, I hope you have tooth traps set up or a cave entrance/beefalo nearby. Fighting them could be deadly otherwise.

The cave entrance is for an obvious fleeing tactic (zig-zag as you run. The hounds will remain at the entrance until killed, so make sure to take care of them at some point or use a different entrance next time) and the beefalo are to be circled until the hounds lose interest you and attack a beefalo, at which point they get destroyed by the herd.

This tactic can be used for giants with AoE attacks, or single-target giants if the beefalo are in heat, but I wouldn't normally recommend it unless you want the meat/fur/horns, and beefalo in heat are dangerous to you if you don't use a beefalo hat. Giants can quickly devastate small herds, and herds large enough to solo the giants for you don't exist for quite some time unless you have beefalo set to more on worldgen.

5. Craft a razor and thermal stone, then go to some beefalo during the night and shave them. You'll need the materials for a winter hat along with a thermal stone to stave off freezing. On this note, pre-craft a campfire but don't place it. This will be an emergency source of heat in the event you stay in the wilderness too long during winter. If you've used your emergency campfire and lack the materials for another, head straight back to the base. Don't get greedy.

6. When fighting giants like the Deerclops, try to lure it to a road to give you an extra boost in speed to avoid their AoE attacks. Run in, smack 1-3 times (depending on latency) and run back out. Repeat until dead. Try to bring 2-3 logsuits and spears to a fight with a giant and be advised that the Deerclops will home in on structures to destroy, if you abort the fight.

7. Try to catch 4 rabbits with traps to make a prestihatitator before spring comes, because the burrows will close at that point and you need to destroy them with a shovel to get rabbits (unless you hang out in the caves like I do). You'll need one to make a shadow manipulator later, which is important for emergency items like life-giving amulets (mentioned above).

8. Never use manure to fertilize anything, as it can be used to craft farms and mushroom planters (planters are currently ANR beta iirc). Use guano only to accelerate crop growth in farms. Use rot to fertilize withered plants like berry bushes and grass, and optionally to accelerate farm growth if you've got piles of the stuff.

Essentially, rot has a small fertilization value and it's enough to restore bushes and grass, but manure (and especially guano) has a far higher fertilization value and it wouldn't be nearly as efficient to use for this purpose. Easy sources of rot are wet goop left on the ground in the early game (4 twigs in a crockpot) or light bulbs later on. You can harvest a tremendous amount of lightbulbs from the fields in caves and they rot relatively quickly.

I could probably write a small novel on little tips and tricks, but I'd consider these some of the more important ones for the first autumn and winter. I'd recommend making a caves base for the summer. Surviving down there is far easier as you don't need to worry about wildfires or sinkholes - but you DO need to worry about falling rocks if you don't appease or kill the Antlion in the desert. Just make sure you don't stand near structures when you see dust falling from the roof, and keep running until the boulders fall.

Oh and combat tip for worms; To fight worms, run around them in circles until their ground-tremor things bunch up. Then run in to bait their attack simultaneously, run out and quickly run back in to smack them around 5 times before running back out again. Wait for around 4-5 seconds, then repeat - they have a cycling attack pattern and the second cycle doesn't allow you to get many hits in. You can skip it by waiting 4-5 seconds before baiting again.

Oh! One more thing. Try to find a walrus camp in the winter. If you run into Mactusk and his hounds, kill the hounds first. I typically facetank since time is important, as Mactusk is pelting you with blowdarts all the while. After that, simply chase Mactusk (holding F) until he stops running, at which point you can stunlock him to death. He respawns every 2 and a half days and can drop a tusk for the walking cane, or the Tam O' Shanter which is basically one of THE sanity-restoring headwear items. It trivializes sanity management in the caves.

6 hours ago, Corvidae said:

1. Only harvest carrots and berries when you need them, especially juicy berries. They rot quickly and take longer to regenerate. If you do pick them, eat and/or cook them in a crockpot ASAP. If you're going to eat them as-is, consider cooking them over a fire as they restore more health that way, if I recall correctly.

2. You seem to have this one down, but rush gold for a science machine, then an alchemy engine. You can hammer the science machine once the engine is up to recover resources. Prototype a shovel and dig up a few bushes (and grass/saplings for that matter) that are a distance away from either the spawn portal or your chosen base location. Replant them at your base - more on this, in point 8.

3. Carry a logsuit and a spear on you at all times. Always equip them if you're fighting something - that damage reduction is no joke. Ideally, carry a backpack with half a stack or more of the following: Rocks, flint, logs, twigs, grass. Then you can usually make basic supplies on-demand. This is more of a preference thing for me than a general tip, however.

3. Meatballs, meatballs, METABALLS MEATBALLS.

One of your main earlygame goals (Especially if playing as Wigfrid) should be to secure enough charcoal (see Arlesienne's post above) and cut stone for a minimum of one crockpot. From there, you can use 1 monster meat and 3 filler (berries during most of the year, ice during winter) to make meatballs, which are basically a starver's staple food, and why a number of mods on the workshop single them out to nerf :B

Ideally you should make about 4 crockpots - 2 on the left, 2 on the right, with a small gap in the middle for a pair of fridges when you obtain gears. If you place the fridges first, you won't be able to squeeze the crockpots together properly and this can interfere with quickly cooking large quantities of food.

If you secure regular meat and morsels, you could also make meaty stew from 1 monster meat (spiders/hounds), 1 meat (pigs?) and 2 morsels (moleworms/rabbits). Usually not very efficient unless you play as Wolfgang or an upgraded WX, but the option still exists.

4. Once you have a stable supply of metaballs meatballs secured, make your way to the caves (assuming that you added caves on worldgen - you should!) and harvest minimum 2 lightbulbs, but ideally around 10 or so. Then go back to your alchemy engine and make a lantern, or maybe two. Use the rest of the lightbulbs for refueling. Try to aim for a mining hat (Capture a firefly - secure silk from spiders) at your earliest convenience.

5. To fight (single) hounds effectively, run from it until it bites, then run in, smack it and immediately run out again as it bites, then run back in. Repeat until dead. With 2 hounds, you might be best facetanking until one is dead, then return to the kiting technique for the survivor. With 3+ hounds, I hope you have tooth traps set up or a cave entrance/beefalo nearby. Fighting them could be deadly otherwise.

The cave entrance is for an obvious fleeing tactic (zig-zag as you run. The hounds will remain at the entrance until killed, so make sure to take care of them at some point or use a different entrance next time) and the beefalo are to be circled until the hounds lose interest you and attack a beefalo, at which point they get destroyed by the herd.

This tactic can be used for giants with AoE attacks, or single-target giants if the beefalo are in heat, but I wouldn't normally recommend it unless you want the meat/fur/horns, and beefalo in heat are dangerous to you if you don't use a beefalo hat. Giants can quickly devastate small herds, and herds large enough to solo the giants for you don't exist for quite some time unless you have beefalo set to more on worldgen.

5. Craft a razor and thermal stone, then go to some beefalo during the night and shave them. You'll need the materials for a winter hat along with a thermal stone to stave off freezing. On this note, pre-craft a campfire but don't place it. This will be an emergency source of heat in the event you stay in the wilderness too long during winter. If you've used your emergency campfire and lack the materials for another, head straight back to the base. Don't get greedy.

6. When fighting giants like the Deerclops, try to lure it to a road to give you an extra boost in speed to avoid their AoE attacks. Run in, smack 1-3 times (depending on latency) and run back out. Repeat until dead. Try to bring 2-3 logsuits and spears to a fight with a giant and be advised that the Deerclops will home in on structures to destroy, if you abort the fight.

7. Try to catch 4 rabbits with traps to make a prestihatitator before spring comes, because the burrows will close at that point and you need to destroy them with a shovel to get rabbits (unless you hang out in the caves like I do). You'll need one to make a shadow manipulator later, which is important for emergency items like life-giving amulets (mentioned above).

8. Never use manure to fertilize anything, as it can be used to craft farms and mushroom planters (planters are currently ANR beta iirc). Use guano only to accelerate crop growth in farms. Use rot to fertilize withered plants like berry bushes and grass, and optionally to accelerate farm growth if you've got piles of the stuff.

Essentially, rot has a small fertilization value and it's enough to restore bushes and grass, but manure (and especially guano) has a far higher fertilization value and it wouldn't be nearly as efficient to use for this purpose. Easy sources of rot are wet goop left on the ground in the early game (4 twigs in a crockpot) or light bulbs later on. You can harvest a tremendous amount of lightbulbs from the fields in caves and they rot relatively quickly.

I could probably write a small novel on little tips and tricks, but I'd consider these some of the more important ones for the first autumn and winter. I'd recommend making a caves base for the summer. Surviving down there is far easier as you don't need to worry about wildfires or sinkholes - but you DO need to worry about falling rocks if you don't appease or kill the Antlion in the desert. Just make sure you don't stand near structures when you see dust falling from the roof, and keep running until the boulders fall.

Oh and combat tip for worms; To fight worms, run around them in circles until their ground-tremor things bunch up. Then run in to bait their attack simultaneously, run out and quickly run back in to smack them around 5 times before running back out again. Wait for around 4-5 seconds, then repeat - they have a cycling attack pattern and the second cycle doesn't allow you to get many hits in. You can skip it by waiting 4-5 seconds before baiting again.

Oh! One more thing. Try to find a walrus camp in the winter. If you run into Mactusk and his hounds, kill the hounds first. I typically facetank since time is important, as Mactusk is pelting you with blowdarts all the while. After that, simply chase Mactusk (holding F) until he stops running, at which point you can stunlock him to death. He respawns every 2 and a half days and can drop a tusk for the walking cane, or the Tam O' Shanter which is basically one of THE sanity-restoring headwear items. It trivializes sanity management in the caves.

All should help the oP. I'd advise against digging up stuff by default due to disease mechanics. However one bush is worth its weight in gold for a bushhat - it never runs out and is ideal for hound attacks. When baying is heard, you run to any mob that can strike back, beefalos, pigs and tallbirds being the top three here, put it on, then click the option to hide as you hover over it. This makes hounds not see you (can't they sniff :twisted:?!) and they will go for any other mob fast.

For crockpot food tips, apart from meatballs, learn the recipes for the following:

Trailmix

Fishsticks

Pierogi

Bacon and eggs

Butterfly muffin

Froggle bunwich

Taffy

Ice melonicle

Fruit medley

Ratatouille (from red caps, because these are poisonous otherwise and can only be used as filler, or any vegetable plus three ice cubes if you need to stretch food)

Guess I'll put my personal preferences here...

1. You can live without a backpack. While it is helpful while exploring and gathering resources for a good base on a new world, I think it could simply be ditched on the first few days of winter, if not in autumn. You could collect 8 silk and 2 beefalo wool while exploring, and on the first day of winter (or beforehand if necessary) you can uncover dirt piles to reveal the footsteps of a koalefant. If you kill one in winter, you can use its trunk to make a Puffy Vest, which has the highest insulation value (how long it lets you stay away from a heat source) in the game, along with the beefalo hat and hibearnation vest.

2. Know how to fight. In Don't Starve, fighting most mobs is essentially hitting them a certain number of times then walking away to dodge their attack. If you can fight well I recommend clearing out and destroying a level 3 spider den to get the replantable eggs. Then you can plant them wherever you're basing and periodically kill them for silk, meat and glands. You can also make a base in the desert (the one with the spherical cactus) to kill hounds for meat. If fighting a group of 2 or more hounds, you can make them all attack at around the same time, hit once, run and repeat. When doing this strategy, a bird cage will prove to be extremely helpful. A bird trapped in there can be fed cooked monster meat. When it eats meat, it makes an egg. Eggs can be used as filler for meatballs (3 eggs and 1 monster meat is 1 meatballs, which is 4 hounds killed) or as a main ingredient in pierogi. You can use 1 (or 2) veggies (I'd say cactus if you're in a desert base), 2 eggs (or 1 if 2 veggies are used) and 1 monster meat (or meat) to make it. It gives 40 health, which I'm sure will cover the damage of cactus picking and hound fighting if armor was used.

3. Make your base in areas where the resources are renewable. While making a base near a rocky biome may be useful for rock gathering, the rocks will eventually run out, leaving that as a useless part of your base location. Personally I make my base near a sinkhole, a large group of spiders (forest or quarry), pig king and swamp, trying to get as many of those close by as possible, with the priority going from highest to lowest. 

You also might find it useful to base near or right on a wormhole if you're worried about giants. That way, when you hear Deerclops or Bearger, you can jump through it, run around the other side until the giant spawns, then jump back to your base to gather the stuff you need to fight him. When I was learning the game, it was the pressure to suddenly be ready to deal with giants that tripped me up. I'd need health or to make food or armor and then the groaning would start and OMG! Jumping through a wormhole is a good way to quickly get out of a crisis and collect your wits. Unless, of course, you're insane, but even then you might have more of a chance to recover once you've escaped the immediate threat.

Random tips for crafting: unless it's very needed fast, don't prototype everything you can at once. You get a boost of sanity every time you prototype, so it's often a great way to get that little kick, even if you craft something with limited use like hay walls.

When your normal pickaxe is at 3% (that is, has one hit left), save it for a thermal stone. Which you'll want to craft right before winter hits as every time it goes back to grey, its durability decreases. Yes, you can mend it with a sewing kit (???), but you can just make it a bit later to save your precious hound teeth. The same goes for headgear requiring a strawhat, like miner hat. Not that a strawhat or a pickaxe are so hard to make. they're not. It's about optimalisation.

During winter, you will probably be living off foodstuffs which use ice as filler. Mine ice, put it in the icebox, it has an amazing shelf life there.

Making mandrake soup is typically a waste since mandrakes, even though renewable through Klaus's sack, are hard to come by and better used for magic gear.

When living near moleworms, you must have chests or backpacks for storing minerals. Funnily, the buggers will also steal thermal stones and gunpowder (blowing themselves up in the process or so I heard).

For storage, you build chests for static 3x3 containers made of wood. Backpacks are mobile, made with grass, and have 2x3 slots. Combine the two for a manageable storage. Food should stay in the icebox.

When you want a bird for your birdcage, watch out at night - if you place the birdtrap near a sleeping one, it will automatically be caught, no need to wait or bait.

10 hours ago, Corvidae said:

On the note of crockpot recipes, OP, this mod is a tremendous help in case you're ever not-quite-sure what a recipe is.

The idea is lovely, but unfortunately CraftPot, just like Smarter Crockpot, has been flaunting a long history of deadly bugs. It even interacts with other client-side mods. I'd recommend the wiki for recipes. This guide has some worthy links. What sort of ingredient combinations I typically use to stretch their value...

Meatballs - 1 monster meat, 3 filler, typically ice, red caps or eggs (made from... yes, monster meat!).

Bacon and eggs - 1 monster meat, 2 eggs (made from monster meat), 1 morsel/fish/frog leg.

Froggle bunwich - 1 frog leg, 1 red cap, 2 twigs.

Dragonpie - 1 dragonfruit, 3 twigs.

Butter muffin - 1 pair of butterfly wings, 1 red cap, 2 twigs.

Waffles - 1 butter, 1 honey, 1 berry, 1 twig.

Fishsticks - 1 fish, 1 twig, 2 ice or monster meats.

Trailmix - 1 cooked birchnut, 1 berry, 1 twig, 1 durian OR (if you don't get durians by accident from farming) 1 cooked birchnut, 1 twig, 2 berries.

Pierogi - 1 monster meat (or morsel/fish/frog leg/drumstick if you don't have monster meat or want to preserve its meatiness of 1 rather than 0.5 of the others), 1 egg (from monster meat), 2 red caps or 1 red cap and 1 ice.

Fruit medley - 3 durians, 1 twig.

Ice melonicle - 1 watermelon, 1 ice, 2 twigs.

Taffy - 3 honey, 1 twig.

IF STUFF IS SPOILING and other special circumstances...

Unagi - 1 eel, 1 lichen, 2 twigs or 2 red caps (other mushrooms, cave bananas, ice - anything can be used). You make this for cheap healing in the caves. This restores less hunger than just an eel and lichen eaten cooked.

Ratatouille - 1 red cap, 3 ice or 4 red caps. Make this if you need to stretch resources and there's literally nothing but red caps (and ice). Don't make it with any other vegetables. Adding one durian is also possible.

Fistful of jam - spoiling fruit and ice or eggs can be given a bit of a shelf life boost. 1 durian, 3 ice would work fine, otherwise take 1 spoiling berry, mix it in with 3 ice, voila. Not as useless.

WHAT YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT BOTHER COOKING:

Meaty stew - because it fills 150 hunger, and most characters' hunger is 150, so to make use of it, you should be Wolfgang, an upgraded WX or starving. The meat it requires can be made into several smaller and typically longer-lasting (not to mention healing) foods.

Kabobs - why not? Because if you swap that one twig for something else, you're bound to make meatballs (more hunger) or something even better. Besides, they take a long time to cook.

Stuffed eggplant - a sole cooked (well, braised... whatever :twisted:) eggplant restores more health and doesn't require anything else (20 HP, 25 hunger in comparison 3 HP, 37.5 hunger and 5 sanity).

Just now, Rellimarual said:

Moleworms will also take dug-up turf, charcoal and trinkets, BUT, they do not "eat" them. They store this crap in their burrows, and you can retrieve it if you dig up the burrow belonging to the moleworm that took it.

Affirmative! You've just reminded me of a lazybones's approach to earthquakes in the caves - I let a moleworm steal all that drops, then I go dig the burrow - a lot of time saved.

1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

Affirmative! You've just reminded me of a lazybones's approach to earthquakes in the caves - I let a moleworm steal all that drops, then I go dig the burrow - a lot of time saved.

All this.  Moleworms are great for caving.  Their burrows effectively gather your minerals for you and provide daily renewable mined resources when you dig them up as well.  They also provide a daily morsel in the form of the aforementioned moleworm.  They are even renewable via earthquake.

You just need to be careful when you dig that burrow -- before killing the moleworm NOT after.  So, each day:  1. dig up moleworm burrow after dusk so as to gather minerals, then   2.  wait for the moleworm to make a new burrow,   3.  bait it with a mineral and kill it for the morsel.  Repeat this each day.

I love moleworms, even for non-caving they're great!

1 hour ago, absimiliard said:

All this.  Moleworms are great for caving.  Their burrows effectively gather your minerals for you and provide daily renewable mined resources when you dig them up as well.  They also provide a daily morsel in the form of the aforementioned moleworm.  They are even renewable via earthquake.

You just need to be careful when you dig that burrow -- before killing the moleworm NOT after.  So, each day:  1. dig up moleworm burrow after dusk so as to gather minerals, then   2.  wait for the moleworm to make a new burrow,   3.  bait it with a mineral and kill it for the morsel.  Repeat this each day.

I love moleworms, even for non-caving they're great!

Never knew that cool

6 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

The idea is lovely, but unfortunately CraftPot, just like Smarter Crockpot, has been flaunting a long history of deadly bugs. It even interacts with other client-side mods. I'd recommend the wiki for recipes. This guide has some worthy links. What sort of ingredient combinations I typically use to stretch their value...

Really? What kind of bugs? Any reference topic handy? I've never had problems with it, but now I'm curious.

Just now, Corvidae said:

Really? What kind of bugs? Any reference topic handy? I've never had problems with it, but now I'm curious.

Sure. The mods aren't compatible with any portable crockpot ports, for instance. Sometimes new foodstuffs cause issues. I don't remember the details, but the people joining my servers would - if being disconnected - turn these two off and be fine. Another of such hard-to-figure-out-the-nature-of-the-bug-but-ditching-it-helps mods would be Geometric Placement, Minimap HUD and sometimes Gesture Wheel too.

And I'm all for introducing moleworms into other biomes! I brought mine to the swampy forest where I live :wilson_love:.

1 minute ago, Arlesienne said:

Sure. The mods aren't compatible with any portable crockpot ports, for instance. Sometimes new foodstuffs cause issues. I don't remember the details, but the people joining my servers would - if being disconnected - turn these two off and be fine. Another of such hard-to-figure-out-the-nature-of-the-bug-but-ditching-it-helps mods would be Geometric Placement, Minimap HUD and sometimes Gesture Wheel too.

Interesting. I use the minimap HUD and the gesture wheel but haven't encountered bugs yet. I'll keep an eye on that mod in future.

2 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

And I'm all for introducing moleworms into other biomes! I brought mine to the swampy forest where I live :wilson_love:.

One of my favorite basing spots used to be in the oasis in the desert.  I'd bring a host of moleworms and then just enjoy the stark world around me.  Frankly, moleworm farming really works everywhere.  A morsel plus minerals each day is just very nice.  The only downside is that each moleworm takes an inventory slot -- so setup for a big farm is a bit of a hassle.

Just now, Corvidae said:

Interesting. I use the minimap HUD and the gesture wheel but haven't encountered bugs yet. I'll keep an eye on that mod in future.

Minimap HUD is mostly a resource hog. Worry if you notice lag. Gesture Wheel only proves dangerous if there are outdated (lacking new animations) characters on.

1 minute ago, absimiliard said:

One of my favorite basing spots used to be in the oasis in the desert.  I'd bring a host of moleworms and then just enjoy the stark world around me.  Frankly, moleworm farming really works everywhere.  A morsel plus minerals each day is just very nice.  The only downside is that each moleworm takes an inventory slot -- so setup for a big farm is a bit of a hassle.

It's very convenient indeed. And works all year long, unlike, say, rabbits or surface ponds. I'd suggest building a desert base since tumbleweeds bring a lot of loot and things like evergreens or spider dens can be transplanted, however I feel like talking to a wall since the OP is all but gone.

Archived