WX-78 - Thought it had flaws but it really doesn't.

For some odd reason I think of this character as one played by little kids and after a quick skimming of its attributes thought it wasn't that much of a bargain.    Well.. finding gears isn't hard and I got up to full strength (and rebuilt a base twice) within less than 90 days.   Rain?   Not a problem, draining when you already have 300 isn't a concern.   Lightning is a wonderful bonus and the unreal health of 400, where to start with that.   In short, this is my character, you feel invincible at full stats.

1 hour ago, Mencken said:

For some odd reason I think of this character as one played by little kids and after a quick skimming of its attributes thought it wasn't that much of a bargain.    Well.. finding gears isn't hard and I got up to full strength (and rebuilt a base twice) within less than 90 days.   Rain?   Not a problem, draining when you already have 300 isn't a concern.   Lightning is a wonderful bonus and the unreal health of 400, where to start with that.   In short, this is my character, you feel invincible at full stats.

Yep, there's a reason why he's considered one of the "best" characters mainly due to his max stats and crazy movement speed bonus from lightning, and being able to eat spoiled food without penalty is pretty nice as well. 

13 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

WX-78 is considered OP ? Why..!?

i'm sorry pls don't hurt me

Oh boy, lets try not to go down that route this time if possible.... >_>

I think WX is fair enough. He can get monster stats after you get gears from the ruins, but he doesn't have any special bonuses unless you're using End is Nigh with Wicker, and most people don't do ruins until pretty far into a server I... think? (You deserve the gears reward if you rush it!) If you're not actually having problems with dying from not being tanky enough (And not because you were just in a fight you couldn't actually do) or going insane then WX's stats don't help -that- much, although they still do help. (If you do die, oops, there went 7~8 gears. At least you can regen ruins now so you're not screwed.)

And whilst you do have extra HP cushion, he's not actually -that- much better at fighting than other characters unless, again, you're in overdrive. They can always eat healing stuff mid-battle whilst enjoying their other perks- higher Max HP isn't necessarily amazing in the long run, even if helpful.

...although, well, if you're overdriving with Wickerbottom, adding the huge speed boost and light ontop of the massive base stats makes WX pretty considerable, so he can -totally- be a powerful character. And it does give convenience that he -always- has the giant stat cushions where other characters need to carry more to equal it, especially since until lategame you don't necessarily have a surplus of healing food in the first place. Stale food eating is a mild convenience on the side, rain damage is negligible after the immediate game start, and his starting stats don't suck in DST anymore. Not bad at all.

I'd still rather use Wigfrid (effective 250 hp plus drain, easy gear, and 1.25x dmg) or Wolfgang (300 hp, speed up, 2x dmg) though, so I wouldn't call him OP with 400, no dmg bonus, and a big speed up IF overdriven. Buuut the Wickerbottom overdrive potential does push him into a pretty nice place, and on the side he also has giant stomach and sanity to give ease of use outside of fights. ...after ruins.

If you have any ability to analyze character power then it should be clear that Wx is absolutely top 3 with Wickerbottom and Wolfgang, and generally experts rank him as the most powerful for a number of reasons.

1) He has a massive stat cushion

2) Overcharge allows him a huge speed boost, built in light, and immunity to freezing.  In a team, he can be overcharged easily for days and days by a wickerbottom.

3) Gears are fully renewable, never spoil, and are incredibly powerful for getting stats back.

4) His full use of spoiled and stale food means that he can get more out of mushrooms which are powerful but spoil relatively quickly.

Both wolfgang and wickerbottom have pretty great benefits, but Wx is probably the best at not dying to things.  Winter is trivialized with a telelocator staff or a friendly wicker, his massive health pool makes it difficult to die fighting bosses, and his speed from overcharge makes him the fastest and most durable character in the game, and also frees up a slot that doesn't need to be used for a light source.

Wx is ok early game, great midgame as gears are easy to get, and broken lategame where you have ways to maintain overcharge and benefit from it.

Could someone explain how WX's overcharge stacks in DST? I heard something about each consecutive charge being 50% less than the last one. If that's the case, then for how long does the initial charge last? Is it still only one day? If so, then an overcharge can't last anywhere beyond 2 days, although testing it, it lasted a bit longer than that, I believe. Looking through code, the initial charge is still one day, set in tuning.lua as "TOTAL_DAY_TIME", however I'm having trouble finding the code that indicates and controls what percentage or whatever the consecutive charges take away.

I would give my thoughts on WX here, although I've something planned, so, you'll just need to wait, guys :p

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Could someone explain how WX's overcharge stacks in DST? I heard something about each consecutive charge being 50% less than the last one.

Assuming the math didn't change from:

Contents:

Old Wx-78's charge from one entire End book reading:

Min/Avg/Max :: 40/60/80 days

New:

Min/Avg/Max :: 12.86/13.96/14.87 days

Archived