How is it: Life without Extra Equip Slots

Hello,

The problem I described under the spoiler (lots of text). So this is short version of topic: please give us comments about your play style.

• I will never prefer anything to my wonderful backpack! (armor sometimes)
  • I'm always using hibernation vest, puffy vest, breezy vest, summer frest, hunger belt, amulets and other stuff instead of backpack (krampus sack is for unorganized people :D )
  • I'm using Extra Equip Slots and I'm able to use anything I want in game!
  • Your variant

Spoiler

This is not suggestion actually, because I have no idea what to do with it, but without Extra Equip Slots Mod, lots of features in game are useless for you. I'm playing without mods and I love to visit official Klei public servers (There's no mods installed). The problem is: I can't use all those things in game like: amulets, jackets to control temperature (Breezy vest, puffy vest, raincoat, summer things), hunger belts and lots of other. I guess no one will prefer Hibearnation Vest to 8 backpack slots with thermal stone in it. And especially to Krampus sack. It makes Bearger killing pointless.

At the same time Extra Slot makes game much easier: you can just put armor to your slot and you will never accidentally die of tentacle; It's much easier on boss fights, cause you're not limited by usual inventory and you don't have to craft armor on the go; and also extra slot with armor helps you a lot in ruins; eyembrella can be easily replaced with raincoat and rain hat in spring (Never ever crafted them). 

I know, there's some useless things in Don't Starve (watermelon hat, ice cube hat etc..) and stuff like that is normal practice, but still...

Well, i just would like to be able to use all game contents. I think here's lots of people also disappointed by the fact. You will never see anyone on public server without mods wearing puffy vest, excepting newbies. 

So I would like to ask community what do they feel about that?

I decided NEVER to use backpacks ever again. The only reason I'd craft one is for a cheap chest when making a cheap base. 

And trust me, it's pretty awesome. Early game, you get access to miner hat + wooden armor, puffy vest, rain coat and summer frest. All of which make you have less things to worry about. Late game, you can use cane + tam o shanter + magiluminescense for max speed while staying warm and sane, hunger belt for the longer gathering trips, and not having to worry about gosh f**king darn monkeys stealing your backpack contents or lantern when fighting. Some people say bigger inventory is easier, but I find playing without one much easier. I can carry all the seasonal items and armor I need + basic materials and end up with 1 free inventory slot. I'd drop the seasonal items but there always those people who take the first thing they see so...

Yeah, I really don't need backpacks that much (if I'm doing a big gathering trip, or need to bring a lot of stuff for something), you just have to get better at inventory management. There's a lot of stuff you're probably carrying around that, if you left it at the base, it wouldn't make a difference. Just... make sure to keep those grass/twigs, probably logs/flint, a food or two, and the most important equipment. You should still have 5~7 slots left open for gathering or another important item or two for whatever specific thing you're doing.

When weather's not a factor, you can always just keep armor in your backpack and swap when it's fight time (And leave your backpack behind when you go in the swamp... ack!) but when it's summer/winter, it's often time to leave backpacks at the base. >_> Beefalo Hat/Eyebrella are lovely hat alternatives to let you keep using backpack as necessary but also harder to obtain, and Rain Coat is a nice, easy 'nuff to craft one-item solution to wet before eyebrellas. (Although an Umbrella's 90% resist is generally "enough", esp. as many hats finish it to 100% when necessary from over-raining in spring)

It does help some that in DST you only need -one- piece of armor to get full "armoring" capability. The best ones are (mostly?) all chest slots but a football helmet (or, easier recipe if you can, Wigfrid hats) can give you plenty of armor whilst enjoying your backpack, puffy vest, rain coat, etc.

Also I think the ice cube hat is awesome. Now, once you have enough stuff to deal with heat -without- it, time to ditch the wetness it gives... but, it's pretty much a one-item heat cure for any length trip, made of super easy materials, before that happens. And your floral shirts are all lost inbetween seasons and are actually somewhat expensive, so, when you don't have enough (or any) eyebrellas, it's fairly desirable. Eventually I'd probably rather use a chilled amulet I guess but it's awhile before the materials for -those- are disposable-grade >.>

The game is definitely easier with a modded extra torso slot. It's also less challenging, because inventory management is one of the big challenges. Whether that makes it more or less fun for you depends on your level of skill and temperament. The one big drawback of getting dependent on that mod is that it seems like it would be more of a drag to get used to not having it when/if you decide to go default.

I learned to play DS by turning off hounds in the world customization menu. Then I turned it to "less" because I wanted to make a sewing kit. I turned off killer bees for the longest time because they didn't seem to offer anything in exchange for the nuisance they posed. Then finally, I just went with default settings, and if I were still playing it I might be turning up some of the challenges, like Giants. I would recommend reducing some of the game's challenges if you're a beginner and that's what you prefer because it's very likely that if you stick with it, you can increase the challenge. But in this case, it might not seems as gratifying to learn to choose between backpacks and torso items as it is to learn to deal with hound waves.

DST does present one added problem with torso items: if you're playing on an open server, there's a strong incentive to keep all valuable items in your inventory at all times for fear that some rando will steal them if you put them in a chest.

13 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I'd also love to hear more from no-packers about what essential items they whittle their inventory down to when attempting specific activities.

I always carry gold, sticks and grass. When I'm going to go mining, for example, I drop my seasonal items in a hidden cave corner then I refrain from making the tool UNTIL I get there. If it's not prototyped, I make one and drop it at base for others to use.

When fighting in the caves or in the dark, I use a combination of miner hat and wood armor early game, then switch to magiluminescense + battle helm, due to the increased armor durability and speed. Any other tasks I should describe?

4 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I always carry gold, sticks and grass. When I'm going to go mining, for example, I drop my seasonal items in a hidden cave corner then I refrain from making the tool UNTIL I get there. If it's not prototyped, I make one and drop it at base for others to use.

When fighting in the caves or in the dark, I use a combination of miner hat and wood armor early game, then switch to magiluminescense + battle helm, due to the increased armor durability and speed. Any other tasks I should describe?

Add nitre for summer.

i always carry backpack i really have problem with that inventory management. even i have a krampus sack and nightmare chester i always ran out of slot :D

but about that temperature control stuff, i think thermal stone can be ok it keep u warm and cool about 1 day.

and for fighting i can just carry my log armor in backpack and drop my backpack when i want to fight.

I also only play with a backpack and always sort my items as you can see in the picture.. When not playing Wigfrid I put my gold in the backpack. When fighting happens I drop the backpack for my log suit and also keep Chester save this way.

I never really used amulets or vests but I'm always curious how other players play this game. On reddit someone mentioned you can easily get distracted in this game and this happens A LOT to me. How do you manage your inventory then? Do you make several trips?

I'd also like to see some screenshots of your inventory.. What do you carry with you all the time and how do you plan trips and so on?! 

20170212134804_1.jpg

46 minutes ago, darkhero said:

i always carry backpack i really have problem with that inventory management. even i have a krampus sack and nightmare chester i always ran out of slot :D

but about that temperature control stuff, i think thermal stone can be ok it keep u warm and cool about 1 day.

and for fighting i can just carry my log armor in backpack and drop my backpack when i want to fight.

I think most part of players are play like that.

I'm very organised, and I should say: I have no idea how to play without backpack. I can go to kill MacTusk and come back with 3 stacks of ice, tam, walrus tooth, 8 meat, trunk, some cactus if I want to and also get some carpet tuft "just because I passed by". It saves time a lot!

But it's really surprised me that there is people who prefers jackets to backpack. I have no friends in steam with similar playing style for >1 year in DST. Also never met them on public servers.

I try to not get a backpack for as long as possible but I mostly play on the public Klei servers so I am susceptible to wanting to make sure valuable things stay in my inventory.

I'm best at running back-pack-less when the challenge I set myself is:  "As Wes, put a firepit, sci-machine, and crock-pot at the portal and keep the area littered with backpacks with one torch and pick-axe in each."    I usually put up a sign as well, "This is NOT a base.  (nor is it a pipe)"

3 hours ago, Apchi said:

I'm very organised, and I should say: I have no idea how to play without backpack. I can go to kill MacTusk and come back with 3 stacks of ice, tam, walrus tooth, 8 meat, trunk, some cactus if I want to and also get some carpet tuft "just because I passed by". It saves time a lot!

But it's really surprised me that there is people who prefers jackets to backpack. I have no friends in steam with similar playing style for >1 year in DST. Also never met them on public servers.

Well I say its ok if you use a backpack as depending on what happens you might need it.
But for me I seprate tasks based on season and what I need.

I never worry about catus or hunting cause I can do that at anytime 
IF I not mining don't take a pick
Not smashing stuff no hammer
So my advice always take what you NEED and not just cause its there but situations do change

I do most of the time have a backpack on me Just for extras is never really full unless I'm stocking for a season shift or rushing structures
I've had my backpack burned a few times and never really cared because I just made healing salves with the ash

IDK if this helps you I learned inventory management from dying at ressection stones a lot but thats in DS
and warly's chef pouch because you want that space for food only

If I had to say something I would say prioritize your what you need and get what you need and don't be afraid to leave items in chests
though I would practice in DS as DST has player dangers

Playing Maxwell is what made me learn to drop the backpack, as any lag spike or little distraction kept getting me dead from a one hit tentacle or tall bird. I liked that way so much that now I use it with other characters.
With a working base you can drop most of your stuff at home and carry only what you are always gonna need with you: lifegiving amulet, sticks, grass, a source of light, a bundle with food, a weapon, and something extra goes to solve any seasonal problems you find.

Most of the time, when roaming around, building, fighting, etc, I always have at least one piece of armor, and one utility item equipped (portable light, temperature control, etc).
I do use backpacks (usually piggyback or if I'm lucky, krampus sack) when moving large amounts of objects somewhere else, or when Im off to bring back a huge amount of wood/stone. After I've used it for its purpose, I just drop it at base.

Walking always armored is a big relief to me, really.

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

hen fighting in the caves or in the dark, I use a combination of miner hat and wood armor early game, then switch to magiluminescense + battle helm, due to the increased armor durability and speed. Any other tasks I should describe?

Do you never make campfires? Do you always carry a tam, or anything else besides food, armor, weapon?

14 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Do you never make campfires? Do you always carry a tam, or anything else besides food, armor, weapon?

You can always reserve a slot for seasonal issues. In this case, during winter it would be wise to have a stack of logs for campfires, or if caught with your pants down, have some gold or flint to quickly make an axe and make an emergency campfire.
It's also good to have at least one campfire, one firepit and one endothermic pit pre-crafted at all times.

18 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I ONLY make campfires when I need to cook food before having a base and when tanking Deerclops. I always carry a tam, cane, food, armor, weapon, light and basic resources (excluding flint, rocks, wood and nitre)

Backpack is useless to me after the first autumn. It's only slightly helpful for when you're harvesting resources from around your base, like logs, grass, twigs, meat from rabbit farms etc. I also like to take a backpack to the Ruins because the various gems and trinkets take up so much space in your inventory. I never use that mod mentioned in the title, however, that makes the game even easier than it already is. As others have said, just have a campfire prefab-ed and make sure to have a light source, a weapon, armor, tam, cane, grass, twigs, and flint/gold on you at all times, and you can manage without a backpack just fine.

I decided to never use anything but backpacks and it's pretty awesome. Why would I equip a log suit when I can wear a helmet? Why would I equip a breezy/puffy/hibearnation vest when I can use a tam-o-shanter/beefalo hat and thermal stone? Why would I bother with a rain coat or summer frest when I can use an eyebrella?

8 extra inventory slots are way more useful than some insulation or water resistance. And when I go out to mine, I mine hard. I fill up every slot in my inventory, my backpack, and chester with as much gold, flint, and rocks as I can carry.

After being in a server with extra equip mods, I gotta say that it definitely makes the game super easy (nothing on you @Arlesienne). I used to actively avoid servers with mods on them due to the fear that I would become too dependant on something that vanilla doesn't have. While vanilla is, admitedly, flawed (which everything is), its better to get used to the flaws that are always going to be present rather than fix the flaws with a mod that won't always be there to help you.

I happily play with or without EES. Without, I need to pay attention to having the bare necessities in the equipment along with some armour instead of the backpack (which I like as a nomad). Without it, however, I finally don't have the awkward feeling of a rapper (no offence to Biggie Rat, @StarmanNess) - I mean, choose an amulet over a coat... Seriously :twisted:?

I can list what I take if not having a backpack later if you want me.

Archived