5 hours ago, darkflames9 said:

This would require an overhaul of all existing power systems, more specifically the coal generator.  First of all, coal generators don't generate power from just burning coal; the burnt coal vaporizes steam to turn a generator that then makes power.  Which is why having coal generators make so much freaking heat totally nonsense; coal generators should be fed water and output steam and energy, while remaining at a more or less constant temperature.  Sure, inefficiencies in the machine would lead to the gradual warming of the coal generator, but it's not like all the heat from burning coal is radiating out from the machine.  You're basically losing all the energy from burning coal in the first place!  Once this has been addressed, then we can have a frame work for nuclear power, which is just advanced coal burning.

If everything is just another steam generator it gets kinda boring. Sure thats how we do it in real life but that doesn't mean thats how they need to do it. I mean there are other theories of generating power from heat other than just turning a turbine with steam or a gasified liquid or pressure differences.

11 hours ago, AlexRou said:

If everything is just another steam generator it gets kinda boring. Sure thats how we do it in real life but that doesn't mean thats how they need to do it. I mean there are other theories of generating power from heat other than just turning a turbine with steam or a gasified liquid or pressure differences.

Most of the energy we generate is the conversion of mechanical energy to electricity.  This is commonly done via using a heating medium to generate heat, which is then converted into mechanical energy by use of a turbine, which then turns a turbine which converts the mechanical energy into electricity.

The reason I bring this up is that a lot of the game uses abstractions of real world mechanics to operate things.  Therefore it makes more sense for a nuclear reactor in ONI to be representative of real world reactors.  My prior suggestion does this reasonably well.  It also fits within the current design of the game and abstracts the radiation in the existing contamination system already present in the game.

After reading @darkflames9's post, I do have to some what agree...if we wanted to implement a steam generator to handle conversion of heat into power, we should make the coal generator also be used to generate steam.  If instead, we abstract the nuclear reactor along the lines of the coal generator, we'd essentially just making a higher tier coal generator that uses a different fuel.  That is not appealing at all.

At the end of the day, all a nuclear reactor really is a more efficient water boiler.  So if we're going to do it, it should be done well.

8 hours ago, Ecu said:

Most of the energy we generate is the conversion of mechanical energy to electricity.  This is commonly done via using a heating medium to generate heat, which is then converted into mechanical energy by use of a turbine, which then turns a turbine which converts the mechanical energy into electricity.

The reason I bring this up is that a lot of the game uses abstractions of real world mechanics to operate things.  Therefore it makes more sense for a nuclear reactor in ONI to be representative of real world reactors.  My prior suggestion does this reasonably well.  It also fits within the current design of the game and abstracts the radiation in the existing contamination system already present in the game.

After reading @darkflames9's post, I do have to some what agree...if we wanted to implement a steam generator to handle conversion of heat into power, we should make the coal generator also be used to generate steam.  If instead, we abstract the nuclear reactor along the lines of the coal generator, we'd essentially just making a higher tier coal generator that uses a different fuel.  That is not appealing at all.

At the end of the day, all a nuclear reactor really is a more efficient water boiler.  So if we're going to do it, it should be done well.

Thats why I looked at things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

And it would be too hard to describe it so that everyone understands which was why I went with uses radiation to generate power :p Tho that specific one runs on heat.

This is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optoelectric_nuclear_battery

"converts nuclear energy into light, which it then uses to generate electrical energy"

2 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Thats why I looked at things like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

And it would be too hard to describe it so that everyone understands which was why I went with uses radiation to generate power :p Tho that specific one runs on heat.

If implemented in abstracted game mechanics that fit within the current game, this would essentially be a coal generator with a different resource.  That isn't all that interesting to be completely honest.

2 hours ago, AlexRou said:

This is interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optoelectric_nuclear_battery

"converts nuclear energy into light, which it then uses to generate electrical energy"

This is a rather interesting technology, however, I'm not quite sure how this would be abstracted into the game.  I mean, essentially this is just a dirty bomb and not really a practical energy generation technology at all.

---

All in all, I stick by my suggestion of implementing nuclear technology as a reactor core that generates a ton of heat by raising its nuclear core when powered by a small charge.  By having it require a small amount of power to be running, it allows the existing switch systems to turn it on/off.  This reactor core would cause materials in the nearby area (say 8-10 radius) to become contaminated while active (and perhaps for a period of time after turning off).  I suggest using the existing contamination system rather than a new radiation system as it is more in line with existing abstractions.

To complement this reactor core, a steam turbine would be added that takes in high energy steam in and outputs reasonably hot water and a small amount of power.  These could be combined with effective use of reactor cores as heating devices to essentially build an abstraction of real world nuclear reactors.  By having the steam turbine only produce a small amount of power individually, it'll reduce the benefits of just attaching them to geysers.  As an additional aspect, perhaps the more heat stored in the steam, the more power generated.  As such, a reactor core would generate extremely high temperature steam making it better for powering steam turbines when compared to geysers.

I feel like this method of nuclear power would both be abstracted well for the game and give us an additional tool to mess with the physics system.  While it would potentially make the coal generator feel a bit odd that it doesn't utilize water/steam, perhaps it could be worked into the above mechanics as an early game boiler for the steam turbines that produces less heat.

2 minutes ago, Ecu said:

If implemented in abstracted game mechanics that fit within the current game, this would essentially be a coal generator with a different resource.  That isn't all that interesting to be completely honest.

This is a rather interesting technology, however, I'm not quite sure how this would be abstracted into the game.  I mean, essentially this is just a dirty bomb and not really a practical energy generation technology at all.

---

All in all, I stick by my suggestion of implementing nuclear technology as a reactor core that generates a ton of heat by raising its nuclear core when powered by a small charge.  By having it require a small amount of power to be running, it allows the existing switch systems to turn it on/off.  This reactor core would cause materials in the nearby area (say 8-10 radius) to become contaminated while active (and perhaps for a period of time after turning off).  I suggest using the existing contamination system rather than a new radiation system as it is more in line with existing abstractions.

To complement this reactor core, a steam turbine would be added that takes in high energy steam in and outputs reasonably hot water and a small amount of power.  These could be combined with effective use of reactor cores as heating devices to essentially build an abstraction of real world nuclear reactors.  By having the steam turbine only produce a small amount of power individually, it'll reduce the benefits of just attaching them to geysers.  As an additional aspect, perhaps the more heat stored in the steam, the more power generated.  As such, a reactor core would generate extremely high temperature steam making it better for powering steam turbines when compared to geysers.

I feel like this method of nuclear power would both be abstracted well for the game and give us an additional tool to mess with the physics system.  While it would potentially make the coal generator feel a bit odd that it doesn't utilize water/steam, perhaps it could be worked into the above mechanics as an early game boiler for the steam turbines that produces less heat.

Well when you put it that way ... it does sound interesting when everything ties in nicely. I still kinda think we should split the reactor into parts so people have to design it rather than plop a building and done. So things like control rods/reactor chamber (tiles)/etc... That way we could see some very interesting ideas. And instead of the reactor requiring water, since you build it in parts you can technically pipe anything through it to heat water or heat something else. But if it overheats then boom! So maybe some liquid metals cooling systems...

The key point here is the steam turbine scaling power generation based on the amount/heat of steam, without it the whole thing falls apart. With the overheat system this could get really interesting to see.

On 20/03/2017 at 8:11 PM, cpy said:

Producing 200kW for 30 cycles with 100kg and now with heat update... man that would be melting and radioactive waste. You'd die if you touch it and can make large areas unusable because if you don't store it in your last water pool you'd die! :D

Melting everything!

You were talking about melting stuff ^^ How about a melting reactor ?

ONI Idées - Réacteur nucléaire + fonte.jpg

Managing radioactive waste could be a way to add more complexity in the later game versions. You will have to store it away from your dupes and cool it to avoid melting

A good idea would also be radioactive diseases like radiation sickness and mutations with a third leg or a third arm growing that could give extra bonus in athletics for exemple :D

1 hour ago, cpy said:

The only bonus from radioactivity you'll get is death. Nothing else. Maybe you don't get lethal dose but lose stat points.

You're forgetting one major bonus - Godzilla! (which is guess would be Morbzilla in the game?)

If Nuclear is for very late game, you have to wonder what else would be going on for you to need it.  Right now you can get to a couple hundred cycles with out it.  I almost see it as a DLC addon with ship building or something (on the surface?) - but that's another thread... ;)

1 hour ago, tehMugwump said:

If Nuclear is for very late game, you have to wonder what else would be going on for you to need it.  Right now you can get to a couple hundred cycles with out it.  I almost see it as a DLC addon with ship building or something (on the surface?) - but that's another thread... ;)

Already have a thread with some ideas :p 

Geiser > Water > Nuc. PP > Polluted Steam > Polluted Water > Purifier > Water > Nuc. PP

And so on. I love this idea and all the possible catastrophic events asside it, and maybe even a way for meltdown.

It'd be awesome to have some sort of gold block to stop the radiation same as with the hazmat suit. And as i mentioned before in this comment, by adding a geiser, you could prefent a meltdown simply cuz you basicly have (some kind of) infinite power supplie, as long as you can find minerals for example uranium or plutonium.

And to balance it out. For example when it heats up really bad, that it gets overpressurized. Then, really high radiaton, Dupes that try fixing it get poisoned by radiation and eventually die if not taken any medicines. And eventually, BOOM. And then you've ended up with a (for example) 10 tile radius hole in your base.

First we need more research tiers with their own new science materials and higher costs. Current tier 3 with 2 materials is quite easy to get and all research can be done in first 10-15 cycles or maybe even faster.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:24 AM, cpy said:

First we need more research tiers with their own new science materials and higher costs. Current tier 3 with 2 materials is quite easy to get and all research can be done in first 10-15 cycles or maybe even faster.

I agree... let's develop up to that level, please.

Sorry to insist but maybe some have missed this post. I think I covered the topic on many levels, all the gameplay aspects that would make it fun and challenging. The point is not to use Steam that could be another machine called a Geothermal Gen., but instead keep it close to real world and use cold water + a radioactive element.

On 24/03/2017 at 7:11 AM, Xerhion said:

It'd be awesome to have some sort of gold block to stop the radiation same as with the hazmat suit.

What about Lead for a new material for radiation shielding ? It could also melt at high temperature if not cooled, a weakness that could be catastrophic with a reactor overheating !

On 24/03/2017 at 7:11 AM, Xerhion said:

For example when it heats up really bad, that it gets overpressurized. Then, really high radiaton, Dupes that try fixing it get poisoned by radiation and eventually die if not taken any medicines. And eventually, BOOM. And then you've ended up with a (for example) 10 tile radius hole in your base.

Or a devastating radioactive magma that could dig a hole deeper and deeper if not cooled down quickly

Archived