Nuclear power would a fun thing to introduce in a simple way yet still could require enough parts to make it more of an end tech item 

It would need a fule supply so a new block would need to be added (either uranium or plutonium or something game friendly with a new name)

To use it the plant would need to be cooled using a constant clean water supply pumped directly into it with a wast water and heat by product 

The waste water can be cleaned and then sent back around but the heat would cause the same effects that it dose now

Failing to supply the plant with water could result in a brief period of it producing tones of toxic gasses and more heat for a few cycles until it would eventually explode 

In the event of it exploding it would take out a set area around it and cause all water and air near by to become toxic and polluted 

1 hour ago, twaritw said:

Great idea. Maybe it can provide more energy, enough to make water from air. That's a problem

More water would be a good addition however it would need a condenser to collect it from atmosphere 

so 2 new things to add 

I think that a game like this should use radiation as a totally distincted pollution for something like a nuclear reactor...

We are on an asteroid, radiation is strong up there.

I say that radioactive materials and going near the top of the map (surface) should be lethally radioactive, so lethal that only medic equipment can cure.

Great idea!

Although I would prefer a more realistic approach with how this generator would deal with water.

To me it would take cold water as an input, either contaminated or not and turn it into steam (or just a flat +80°C to be easier to handle the mechanic).

This however implies having radiators or something equivalent to be able to directly cool liquids.

We have abyssal stone. Now that's nice coolant right? Now we need some rock crusher to extract uranium and some refinery for it and BOOM! Instant nuclear power plant! Tons of rocks and nothing to do with them? Grind baby grind! Powder refined to uranium from crushed rocks. *Simple!

*not so simple

13 hours ago, DonDegow said:

To me it would take cold water as an input, either contaminated or not and turn it into steam (or just a flat +80°C to be easier to handle the mechanic).

A fair point though i was simply thinking another reason as to why it wouldn't be a perfect generator with it having the need for clean water and then the small hassle of purifying the contamination 

Yet saying that it is possible to say if it would use contaminated water it would produce small amounts of toxic gas as a result ? Or even work at a slightly higher temperature? 

11 hours ago, cpy said:

We have abyssal stone. Now that's nice coolant right? Now we need some rock crusher to extract uranium and some refinery for it and BOOM! Instant nuclear power plant! Tons of rocks and nothing to do with them? Grind baby grind! Powder refined to uranium from crushed rocks. *Simple!

*not so simple

Sounds a good idea really in respects to cooling either the water or the reactor itself whilst adding a new device to crush and process the rock into (cooling rods, cooling gel, or other such coolants) 

All of this would make hazmat suits/radiation suit an essential, so one more point for utilisation of chlorine to plastics. So a hazmat suit could use plastics for keeping gases/liquids out and gold for stopping rdiation itself.

1 minute ago, Vincie said:

All of this would make hazmat suits/radiation suit an essential, so one more point for utilisation of chlorine to plastics. So a hazmat suit could use plastics for keeping gases/liquids out and gold for stopping rdiation itself.

Perfect idea to use items already in the game that as yet have no use as of yet 

Nuclear power would be way too overpowered, unless we are talking about RTGs.

Producing 20kW of power non stop for 1 year with 100kg of uranium would completely unbalance the game.

Unless if things get very complicated and you have to design the reactor manually. But placing a "nuclear reactor" down seems to be a very lazy way of getting power...

49 minutes ago, SpaceKing said:

Pretty sure this is already confirmed given that Radium is a tile in the game. You have to spawn it in, but it sure is green and glowy.

Did not know that lol

Well we shall soon find out im guessing

I have had the same idea about nuclear power in this game but more in a way to produce steam that could be used for a steam generator (I've posted another drawing here  it could be used for electricity production) and I have made other schemes if you want to see it :)

ONI Idées - Réacteur nucléaire.jpg

@Mishi2

This thing should include a water intake vent, outtake one and a steam generator should include stem input and water output as well. Those should be separate. Or even reactor should produce radiated water to be puryfied.

EDIT:

Did anyone think of radiation-blocking blocks? Those would be pretty essential for our nukepowerplants.

3 minutes ago, Vincie said:

@Mishi2

This thing should include a water intake vent, outtake one and a steam generator should include stem input and water output as well. Those should be separate. Or even reactor should produce radiated water to be puryfied.

That's exactly was I meant to say :D I think it will be better if I show you the other schemes linked to the previous drawing

(PS: By the way... Your avatar rocks so much ! ^^)

Aaaand... Yeah. And a cool robot arm would come in handy for this. Like one on a rail, with special boxes under it. If something is put in the box and arm can take it and it is requested by something below where arm can put it - it would do it. And if something is reachable by arm and box requests it - the arm can take it and put it in the box. Or a regular storage compressor. Like uranium rods. And used rods.

And used rods could be processed to obtain plutonium. Plutonium could be used for production of power cells of some better quality for badass guns, powerful drills (as I suggested, where oxylite, being iridium peroxide, should leave iridium, and this would make great drills, together with cooper and iron) and maybe even special tool for slime (imagine a tool dissolving slime directly into algae and toxic water). Or for portable oxygen systems, allowing a dupe in a hazmat be longer in oxygenless areas.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

We technically already have a nuclear power device in the game. The hydrogen generator, as it only has one required input, ie. hydrogen, must be a type of cold fusion device.

That seems to be correct. Anyway, it should produce helium than. And radiation, cold fusion is still pretty hot. And so it should should produce a ton of neutrons, if it would most likely only use deuterium from the hydrogen (and this seems to be correct, kind of). And well, is totally unrealistic.

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

We technically already have a nuclear power device in the game. The hydrogen generator, as it only has one required input, ie. hydrogen, must be a type of cold fusion device.

Hmmm... I wouldn't say it is a nuclear device but more a fuel cell (but you're right, it should use also some oxygen to work)

I replied to the Steam Turbine suggestion and I guess I have a similar viewpoint here.  I love the idea of steam power and a nuclear reactor to produce it, however, we have steam geysers.  In addition, we have electrolyzers that end up making that endless water into both oxygen and fuel for the generator.  

As such, it seems a bit awkward to introduce a device to produce steam from clean water and use said steam for power, when we already have unlimited steam.  Furthermore it is a bit awkward to allow steam to be used as power directly for the same reason.

6 hours ago, Vincie said:

Did anyone think of radiation-blocking blocks? Those would be pretty essential for our nukepowerplants.

Yeah ! I've been thinking about this :D Radiation shielding ! But I don't know if it would be better to make a new post about Radiation or to continue on this current post...

Archived