I really like sandstorms. I like how the screen looks when we experience them & how it looks when our character wears desert goggles. Effects are top notch in my opinion! Then again, I think that sandstorms are used in the wrong way...

What I mean by that is --> we basically go to oasis (& we expierence a sandstorm) we use fishing rod and gather blueprints. Then some of us go to Antlion and expierence another sandstrorm. Other players (like myself) don't even bother with Antlion at all. When he get's pissed just go to area with many trees = free logs.

What I propose is:

Sandstorms are not stationary thing. When summer starts they appear randomly (like rain in spring, with similar frequency). We all do not like walking slow like turtles - so the lake in oasis would be filled in spring (that would make sense, cos lot's of rain) and would be filled also in summer. So smart players would gather blueprints earlier and will be prepared when sandstromrs hit.

So what do you guys / gals think?

EDIT:

I was thinking about it all, and since there would be players walking without goggles --> I would propose sandstorms rate = half the rain that we got in spring. Also walking speed in sandstorm = a little faster than it is now.

Summer already has plenty of clothing requirements, having to -also- wear goggles plenty would really become a pain. Apart from the fact that, in general, yeah, summer would just become even more annoying. It's -already- the most problematic season even before antlion happened.

The way I see it, antlion is a good chunk for discouraging people who sit in their base for most of summer and just wait it out, or avoid summer by spending most of it in caves where you don't overheat. He makes sure even when your food situation is solid, you still have to go out and about semiregularly or suffer the consequences.. in addition to, of course, adding some new content.

34 minutes ago, Tumalu said:

The way I see it, antlion is a good chunk for discouraging people who sit in their base for most of summer and just wait it out, or avoid summer by spending most of it in caves where you don't overheat. He makes sure even when your food situation is solid, you still have to go out and about semiregularly or suffer the consequences.. in addition to, of course, adding some new content.

It actually encourages people to stay in the caves by providing free boulders when not fed. These boulders, as most people know, can be taken to the surface and used as indestructible walls.

7 minutes ago, Electroely said:

It actually encourages people to stay in the caves by providing free boulders when not fed. These boulders, as most people know, can be taken to the surface and used as indestructible walls.

Whoops, now that you've told everyone that, a nerf is now in the works... gg

I've only experienced a full sandstorm summer once - other than that I still mostly spend the summer in the caves. However, the lack of smoldering/need for flingos is a major attraction to basing in the oasis area, and I could see the merits of developing a summer base there in the future when there isn't stuff that needs to be done underground. I'd even be enthusiastic about basing there year-round if the oasis was filled at least part of the time. I am that weirdo that likes fishing, and there is no other source of meat in the oasis desert besides volt goats, who are limited in number. I don't think fishing there is any easier than hunting moleworms or trapping birds (or, for that matter, fishing regular ponds), so I don't think it would be too OP. And the oasis when full is very pretty, while the dry version is kind of an eyesore. I'd like to build a base around it for purely aesthetic and fishing reasons, so maybe the proper trinkets could be only available during summer or something. I'd actually love to be able to fish up some of the trinkets from Shipwrecked for our collection, regardless of whether they could be exchanged at the Pig King or Antlion.

44 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

I doubt it honestly. End tables and bundling wraps still aren't nerfed and they've been in the game for a while now.

12 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

I doubt it honestly. End tables and bundling wraps still aren't nerfed and they've been in the game for a while now.

59 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

I think it may be intentional. They recently gave craftable marble sculptures hit boxes, which means they can be used as inifinite walls aswell.

13 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think it may be intentional. They recently gave craftable marble sculptures hit boxes, which means they can be used as inifinite walls aswell.

We need a good looking wall design using end tables and sculptures for megabases

*clears throat*

Need I remind you...

On 3/4/2017 at 11:15 AM, V2C said:
  • Odd Skeleton can now be reanimated above ground during nighttime.
  • Nightmare Lights within the Atrium zone have been replaced with Ancient Obelisks.
  • Sinkholes caused by Antlion will now repair themselves even when they are on-screen.
  • Minor reduction to the collision radius of Wardrobes and Meat Bulbs.
  • Melted Mini Glaciers will now dry up in Summer or near a Campfire.
  • Fixed bug where Pengulls stopped spawning after the first year.
  • Fixed bug where Klaus’s Deer could sometimes spawn in the ocean.
  • Fixed bug where a player can sometimes become fused with the Big Tentacle when jumping into a Big Slimy Pit immediately after another player.

The Fixes are coming... O__O

in my opinion, the whole update was wasted potential. what i mean is after one summer, when you got the blue prints (both lazy deserter and goggles) you have nothing to do there, forever. i personally have a 500 day world and i just went there once.

10 minutes ago, darkhero said:

in my opinion, the whole update was wasted potential. what i mean is after one summer, when you got the blue prints (both lazy deserter and goggles) you have nothing to do there, forever. i personally have a 500 day world and i just went there once.

Wouldn't you need to appease the Antlion so it doesn't wreck your base... well I guess you could just go underground and stuff... but ehhh

25 minutes ago, darkhero said:

Well I go places just for the sake of going there and seeing the sights no matter if there is anything to do there or not so even if the place is useless but still looks cool I'm fine with it (and personally I don't think the update was wasted)

3 hours ago, voyager156 said:

What I propose is:

Sandstorms are not stationary thing. When summer starts they appear randomly (like rain in spring, with similar frequency). We all do not like walking slow like turtles - so the lake in oasis would be filled in spring (that would make sense, cos lot's of rain) and would be filled also in summer. So smart players would gather blueprints earlier and will be prepared when sandstromrs hit.

So what do you guys / gals think?

Well I think that it would make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER for sandstorms to appear OUTSIDE the desert!!!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Wait, wait...You are telling me that the lake is dry during seasons that not Summer? 

The ****?

Yes, it's true. Welcome to the DS reality :D

But actually it's logical: in summer we have a sand storm and all the sand is in the air, while in other seasons the sand sits in the lake. It's trivial!

8 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

However, the lack of smoldering/need for flingos is a major attraction to basing in the oasis area,

The problem with basing in the oasis is that it can rain in summer which, still, prevents smoldering however there is a period of time where the rain has stopped and the sandstorm hasn't started yet so your base still can and probably will burn down so flingos still will be required. If something was done to prevent this from happening basing in the oasis in summer would be viable and allow you to save on a ton of resources (apart from fishing rods)

22 minutes ago, isthisworkingnow said:

The problem with basing in the oasis is that it can rain in summer which, still, prevents smoldering however there is a period of time where the rain has stopped and the sandstorm hasn't started yet so your base still can and probably will burn down so flingos still will be required. If something was done to prevent this from happening basing in the oasis in summer would be viable and allow you to save on a ton of resources (apart from fishing rods)

23 hours ago, Tumalu said:

Well in theory, You are right. I was thinking similar, when the update with Antlion came. But really, now I just ignore him... When his "rage attack" is near I just run near the trees (if this is world above) so I get many logs  - or - waiting for boulders to drop (when I'm in the caves).

20 hours ago, darkhero said:

My thoughts exactly :)

20 hours ago, Asparagus said:

Wouldn't you need to appease the Antlion so it doesn't wreck your base... well I guess you could just go underground and stuff... but ehhh

As I wrote above - not really :p

20 hours ago, aukingiii said:

Well I go places just for the sake of going there and seeing the sights no matter if there is anything to do there or not so even if the place is useless but still looks cool I'm fine with it (and personally I don't think the update was wasted)

I understand that You like going to places just enjoying the view. But wouldn't be better, if You also have something fun to do there?

20 hours ago, aukingiii said:

Well I think that it would make NO SENSE WHATSOEVER for sandstorms to appear OUTSIDE the desert!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, You are right of course but come on - it's just a game. Now sandstorms are something that not many players care about (or even see really).

We can change sandstorms - so they would be also logical in game world. How? Just rename them to "dust storm". A quote about them: "The term dust storm is more likely to be used when finer particles are blown long distances, especially when the dust storm affects urban areas."

Archived