ALL PLANTS should convert CO2 into O2

Is it just me or do a lot of wild plants and farmed plants die in carbon dioxide rich environments. That doesn't make sense because they "breathe" in carbon dioxide and create oxygen as a waste product. Oxygen is not something plants use to survive. They do use nitrogen though. 

18 hours ago, DimWhat said:

Ahem... THESE ARE SPACE PLANTS! THEY CAN WORK MUCH DIFFERENTLY THEN THE PLANTS ON THE, SOON TO BE CONQUERED BY ME, EARTH!

HA!  Yup, these are totally space plants, with different space plant issues and attributes, I imagine.

Having said that, did you know that on planet Earth, photosynthesis has only been a somewhat recent development? It's true!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event

Before plants evolved to photosynthesize, the Earth was mostly CO2, which the algae converted into oxygen, killing off a lot of the CO2-loving critters, and making way for oxygen breathers!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae

It's possible that we're working on reversing this recent trend, though. Industry!

This would be nice, but is a drop in the bucket compared to the O2 / CO2 disparity where duplicants somehow utterly destroy 98% of the gas that enters their bodies. This would be a reasonable fix for 2% of the underlying problem.

9 hours ago, Kael_Rus said:

I imagine that they will be adding more plants which will actually do the CO2 conversion to oxygen at some point. Hopefully something I can plant in the flower pots. All leafy like. A frond maybe?

Or maybe the other way around.

I find this an issue to. Manly because in game we find wild plants in oxygen filled cavers. so logic would tell me that they are what is producing it. I also find it annoying that we cant grow the mandrake plant that looks leafy and makes a high Kal food.

Muckroots are what you're talking about at the end there. I'd like to grow those too. However to argue your first point, I've found plenty of CO2 filled caverns with loads of plants in them with not a mg of O2 in them.

21 hours ago, AlornJR said:

I find this an issue to. Manly because in game we find wild plants in oxygen filled cavers. so logic would tell me that they are what is producing it. I also find it annoying that we cant grow the mandrake plant that looks leafy and makes a high Kal food.

I think that you can grow wild plants in any gas that have pressure above 200g-300g, but im not sure about that. Plants 100% growing in CO2, but I have not tested other gases. Probably in this game you need only pressure and temp to grow plant and nothing else. Maybe some one is interested in testing that?

All that i wrote might be wrong :D I have plants that are half in water(580kg 21C) half in Carbon Dioxide(46g 25C) still growing. Maybe they need just one square not both to have pressure and in this case it is water who gives that pressure.

Would be really good if plants converted some of CO2 to O2

I just wish there were a larger variety of plants to harvest from rather than just the mealworms, not to mention produce muckroot seeds from harvesting them as well. But yes, it's agreeable that some of these said plants should convert CO2 into O2, provided they are exposed to ample amount of light; I think that's how photosynthesis is suppose to work in real life.

Brittle blossoms(?) Should be able to do that, they are rare (I only found them on a few worlds personally) so balance wouldn't be an issue? For example mealwood doesn't really have leaves so it shouldn't be able to produce O2, but other plants should, since most of them aren't even renewable really.

I hope Klei will really consider doing something like that, algae terrariums aren't fun, they are just algae and water sink... Which is not how algae works in real world :( We should gain some, not lose. (Maybe water consumption could be increased, but algae slowly increase? Since growing needs water, so we lose a bit more water but at least we can grow our own algae?)

Or you know, in real world, plants also "sweat" (I'm sorry I don't know the term in english), and use up water to cool themselves down, so some water should form steam or humidify water, and we could have some air humidity going on with tools to extract it?

Plants incur pressure stifling if they occupy a tile with less than 150g of gas, and have temperature ranges they prefer. The reason they die in CO2 rich areas is because CO2 sits at a higher ambient temperature than O2 (26c or something), which is over the range that the two current plants can withstand. You might be able to do it if you pump in cooled CO2, but they won't process the CO2 at all so its better just to sit them in O2 right now.

Right now, with Thermal Update, I'm pumping CO2 from cold area to my greenhouse area where i plant bristle blossom for food, so far it fed my colony for 150++ cycles and I think the plants do consumes gas around them (but not really tested myself).

But I think I should bring up Algae Terrarium since it 100% fits the post title, it consume CO2 + Water, emits O2 and doubled when exposed to light source, but I do agree that other plants should also consume CO2 and emits O2 (only when exposed to light source). 

Game design wise, new players would apply their basic science knowledge of photosynthesis when building greenhouse for plants, such as putting light bulb, watering system, etc.

For game balance wise, the Algae Terrarium should have the best efficiency among plants, and other plants should have very low rate that is not efficient for producing O2.

34 minutes ago, Thelder said:

For game balance wise, the Algae Terrarium should have the best efficiency among plants, and other plants should have very low rate that is not efficient for producing O2.

Fo the same balance you would need to add water to plants, so that they would convert CO2 to O2, just like Algae Terrarium??
I dont want to water my Brittle blossoms or Muckroots.

And is it doubled production for Algae Terrarium when lighted? Isn't it just increase from 40g/s to 44g/s (just 10%)

26 minutes ago, Lezenda said:

Fo the same balance you would need to add water to plants, so that they would convert CO2 to O2, just like Algae Terrarium??
I dont want to water my Brittle blossoms or Muckroots.

And is it doubled production for Algae Terrarium when lighted? Isn't it just increase from 40g/s to 44g/s (just 10%)

hmmm, perhaps a watering system for more precious food plants, currently mealwood or blossom shouldn't need watering. Perhaps a garden or growing muckroot need water, not necessary clean water.

yeah, I'm mostly wrong about Algae Terrarium, did not fact check.

EDIT: For Bristle Blossom, it need fertilizer, which requires Fertilizer Maker (converts polluted water into fertilizer, need power). This is already a "watering system" that I forgotten about.

On 12/03/2017 at 1:26 AM, Crimeo said:

That's called a dead plant. Nothing fancy about dead plants--they rot, which releases carbon.

No. At night plants on Earth do in fact consume O2 and produce CO2. But that's related to photosynthesis.

Plants in the game does not require light to grow, ergo they can't rely on photosynthesis as we know it, so why would they produce O2?

No. At night plants on Earth do in fact consume O2 and produce CO2.

Not as much as they consume CO2 and produce O2, so overall, the net effect is CO2 in, O2 out. There's no particular need or value in simulating wobbles and temporary cycles in a cartoonishly abstracted game like this. Overall mass conservation can be respected, and the game still made as simple to play and program as possible, by simply focusing on the overall NET effect of every process, building, plant, etc. in terms of inputs and outputs.

A dead plant, however, represents a significant shift in game balance / a meaningful event that happened that is a result of player action, could have been prevented, etc. And also needs to be treated differently to conserve mass still.

Archived