Heat Death

So, I was experimenting with high temperature areas to create steam out of contaminated water. Insulating areas with different types of machines inside and different gas pressure. But something interesting and unfortunate happened.

I guess it was kind of forseeable that these experiments would drive the temperature in my base up. I even had some mechanisms to cool certain areas down. Nevertheless, in the end my food production was completly stifled. And while the temperatures in the lowest and most cooled part of my base exceeded 30°C, the rest of my base saw temperatures as high as 150°C.

I was wondering if someone knows other bad things besides stifled food production, which are a result of high temperatures.

High temperatures also kills Pufts, it can also turn all your water into steam making your whole base a wonderful unbreathable sauna.

But you're right, the most impactful effect of temperature is to plants, many colonies died of this factor alone.

Saving and reloading the game usually helps. There's a runaway thermal bug that suddenly, and for no apparent reason makes temperatures soar out of control when you've played for a long time. The longer you've played in one session, and the more cycles you've played the worse and more often it gets. When that happens, just exit and reload a saved game one cycle back and everything is normal. In my morbid O2 generator experiment it's getting to the point at 921 cycles where I can't play more than 10-15 cycles before the bug melts not just my plants but kills off every morb and puft on the entire map as everything, everywhere on the map soars to 100s of degrees (still can't make steam in sufficient quantity though).

Archived