Don't Starve Together not on GOG?!

i got Don't Starve and RoG dlc during the GOG spring sale that just started. my friend made me aware after the fact that Don't Starve has an MP expansion and for whatever reason, it is NOT available on GOG, she said she got a free upgrade cuz she had the standard version on steam, and it upgraded to together. all i can find on GOG is Don't Starve, and the Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked dlc's.

Has Together just not been made available on gog yet for some reason? any reason it is on steam and console only so far?  

The reason it's not on GOG is likely due to the fact that DST relies heavily on steam when it comes to mods and skins. I can just see a whole mess of little issues with Together's skins that would likely result in 2 completely different versions that are incompatible with each other. And splitting a playerbase on the same platform is just a huge mess that's better off just not happening at all.

Does GOG even have an inventory system by any chance? I'm not really familiar with how they do things. If not, then that could be an issue if the skins are saved locally instead of on an account that can't be tampered with easily.

Yeah, DST relies on the infrastructure on steam. If they did release on GoG, even if everything else worked fine and dandy, you'd probably be unable to play with people -not- on GoG. Which would be a mess.

looking on here it looks like back in 2015 and earlier those that had purchased don't starve on gog got the ability to get a free code for together on steam.

i dunno about the inventory system, but gog does have a game manager called gog galaxy and it works similarly to steam's.

i know that terraria is on gog as well, and that you do a server setup a different way to play games with other people. it is a little more complicated, i think.

1 hour ago, Soapstone said:

looking on here it looks like back in 2015 and earlier those that had purchased don't starve on gog got the ability to get a free code for together on steam.

i dunno about the inventory system, but gog does have a game manager called gog galaxy and it works similarly to steam's.

i know that terraria is on gog as well, and that you do a server setup a different way to play games with other people. it is a little more complicated, i think.

Still regardless of what GOG has, DST requires steam for at least a third of its functions. It doesn't matter if GOG has something similar, DST was made to be compatible with steam, not GOG. So maybe check your emails for a DST steam code?

43 minutes ago, MrFurphie said:

Still regardless of what GOG has, DST requires steam for at least a third of its functions. It doesn't matter if GOG has something similar, DST was made to be compatible with steam, not GOG. So maybe check your emails for a DST steam code?

all there was were serial keys for updating the game and dlc through the updater.exe, asking gog, they said that if contact klei support then i should get a steam key for dst from my gog keys, but as i mentioned according to the site, that deal seems to have expired as of jun 2015. i still emailed em though, so hopefully?

37 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

what even is gog

Also, like @MrFurphie, @Sinister_Fang, and @Tumalu said, Don't Starve Together relies on Steam for a good chunk of the game's multiplayer features. Skins, stats, and even the save information relies on Steam. While Tencent made it work with their version of DST, GOG probably hasn't done anything to make it compatable.

https://www.gog.com/

2 hours ago, Soapstone said:

all there was were serial keys for updating the game and dlc through the updater.exe, asking gog, they said that if contact klei support then i should get a steam key for dst from my gog keys, but as i mentioned according to the site, that deal seems to have expired as of jun 2015. i still emailed em though, so hopefully?

Odds are you won't be lucky, as it expired two years ago. But you never know.

sigh, i hope so. it is kinda unfair to find this out after the fact. i figured dst was just a console version of the game as i had seen it on the psn store on my ps4. They REALLY need to clarify this on gog or something. from what i read, it looks like it was just because of it being an early release and free to those that had already bought the game way back when. if i had known, i would have waited for a sale for dst on the steam store. :(

Klei developers please make a DRM free version of multiplayer Don't Starve. It could be sold on GOG, Humble Bundle, and other Indie stores.

Here is a starting point, Networking libraries suggested by Ogre3D (an open source game engine)

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/List+Of+Libraries#Networking

There is a desire for a DRM / Steam free version. I encourage others to vote on the GOG wishlist and give this post a +1 to show your support.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dont_starve_together

8 hours ago, Vanderhorn said:

Klei developers please make a DRM free version of multiplayer Don't Starve. It could be sold on GOG, Humble Bundle, and other Indie stores.

Here is a starting point, Networking libraries suggested by Ogre3D (an open source game engine)

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/List+Of+Libraries#Networking

There is a desire for a DRM / Steam free version. I encourage others to vote on the GOG wishlist and give this post a +1 to show your support.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/dont_starve_together

It's as if you didn't read any of this thread before posting. Can't really say I'm surprised.

It's unlikely to happen due to DST's heavy integration with steam. Just take a look at how skins and mods are handled. GOG would need it's own inventory system and mod handling system for that to even be a thing. And then there's the issue of GOG users and steam users trying to connect together. Sounds fairly simple in concept, but having a server check two different accounts for player or mod info would likely just be a huge mess.

I'd say it's just generally a waste of Klei's time. Especially when it could result in two versions of the same game that are incompatible with each other.

Archived