The Outhouse Hatch!

So in my current play through i trapped a hatch in my outhouse level.  So it can't burrow down due to the tiles and it keeps walking around the outhouses consuming "resources".   However I do not think it actually is.  The number of visits that the outhouse has remains constant.  If it were eating "Fresh" dirt from the outhouse I would think that the visit counter would go down.  And if it was eating the contaminated dirt wouldn't the visit's remaing go up?  Maybe it is eating the contaminated dirt and when I clean the outhouse i'll just not have any contaminated dirt...that would actually be pretty awsome i'll have to test it.

What it does do is poop out coal very often so as far as I can tell i'm either making coal out of "nothing" or making coal out of the contaminated dirt...i think the former is probably true and this is most likely an exploit/bug that the developer's never thought of.

Until it's patched out its probably a really good way of making "free" coal though :)

20170306230057_1.jpg

yea im just not sure if the hatch is eating the fresh dirt or the contaminated dirt yet could be 50/50 chance if it's eating the fresh dirt it's ok but not great if its eating the contaminated dirt its friggin ridiculously good.

sorry for the edit, but does the coal generator make dirt as a by product i think i heard that somewhere not sure if true as i haven't really played around with the coal generator too much yet...

The hatches DO only eat the contaminated dirt and not the normal dirt used for the outhouse to function.  When the outhouses run out of uses the game gets kind of wonky.  A dupe will try to clean it, but if they get interrupted then the stall sometimes will just be fixed. Also if they finish their day with Mr. Plunger, then no contaminated dirt will actually fall out, though sometimes the contaminated bubble graphics will show up. Probably should find a moment where this is happening and screenshot it for the bug forum, but for now...

My children! EAT DA POO POO!!!

20170319005618_1.jpg

Speaking of hatches, does anyone have any tips for herding them into beneficial areas? I struggle with this unless it happens by pure luck and I can trap them with an airlock. Also, it seems once I've asked a dupe to attack one hatch, they always target them, and I can't see how to stop them from eradicating them. I'm sure I'm missing something.

5 minutes ago, Collic said:

Speaking of hatches, does anyone have any tips for herding them into beneficial areas? I struggle with this unless it happens by pure luck and I can trap them with an airlock. Also, it seems once I've asked a dupe to attack one hatch, they always target them, and I can't see how to stop them from eradicating them. I'm sure I'm missing something.

- find a place with sufficient concentration / where you want them
- build a path for others to get there , they can jump 1 over, 2 high
- sweep everything
- leave tiles of natural soil over the future floor
- put a container with "food" for them there
- build the future floor from the bottom
- meanwhile build walls during day to herd them in as they go to eat from container
- finish the pen
- dig the rest of natural soil so they work 24/7

1 minute ago, Vilda said:

- find a place with sufficient concentration / where you want them
- build a path for others to get there , they can jump 1 over, 2 high
- sweep everything
- leave tiles of natural soil over the future floor
- put a container with "food" for them there
- build the future floor from the bottom
- meanwhile build walls during day to herd them in as they go to eat from container
- finish the pen
- dig the rest of natural soil so they work 24/7

Very helpful, thank you. I think I was going wrong by not leaving any soil for them to burrow down into. They'd wander over to a container and eat, but wouldn't stay there so I could pen them in.

36 minutes ago, Askorbinka said:

what would be the best meal for them?

i started with sandstone, earned 200k kg of coal, then my sandstone was almost gone, started using clay

Ice, loads of ice!

Once it is in big enough bulk, it just doesn't melt at all right now. And if in contact with water it will grow pretty much indefinitely (from geyser for example)

Clay is also a good option, and Fertilizer is another renewable one - leaving BB to rot will net more fertilizer than it cost to grew it.

3 hours ago, Collic said:

Speaking of hatches, does anyone have any tips for herding them into beneficial areas?

If you leave them just one place where they can go underground they will eventually all end on that one spot.
Like on that one sandstone bottom left. I am going to drop 5 of them into one tiny vacuum isolated 12 °C room.

WFgO3pP.png

37 minutes ago, Askorbinka said:

what would be the best meal for them?

i started with sandstone, earned 200k kg of coal, then my sandstone was almost gone, started using clay

Clay is good or they can eat ice but also food from Bristle Blossoms or that item used for cloth.
I was not careful and found out they eat also content from machines like algae from my running deoxidizer or I think they can also steal material from dupes delivering it somewhere when running around them. :)

4 hours ago, bzgzd said:

I was not careful and found out they eat also content from machines like algae from my running deoxidizer or I think they can also steal material from dupes delivering it somewhere when running around them. :)

I lost half my algae early on exactly like this. Also, despite that they eat resources out of duplicants' hands, they still deliver those resources even empty handed.

Archived