Transportation And Advanced Transportation Research

There would be 2 kinds, the first one is Basic Transportation, unlocks conveyor belt that transport items that is on the ground or transport item that duplicates dropped off at the conveyor belt, the belt can also transport the duplicates but at a slower speed than only transporting item. Also unlocks item trap doors, Item separator.

Advanced Transportation, unlocks portal gates and teleports, portal gates uses a lot of electricity but is faster than teleporters, teleporters uses less but is slower. The teleports and portal can transport duplicates and items. But would suddenly consume tons of electricity when something passes through them.

I had an old idea for tube networks, I never did post this idea however.

I would like to see a pneumatic tube system implemented into the game. They would be their own research tree and would function like this: (RL# is the level of research)

Storage Compactor- has an input at the top and an output at the bottom

Terminal- RL1 a 1×2 (x×y), building made out of metal. It has a port at the top and can hold 500kg.

One way tube- RL1 a type of pipe that carries items in one direction. All connected tubes must either be sending (to SC) or receiving  (to terminal).

Two way tube- RL2 a type of pipe that has two sides, one for sending and one for receiving. Flow of items is not interrupted.

Uses: placed at edges of base so dupes do not have to run back to the middle to get items. Also can be placed in “mines” to send lots of stuff at once.

The idea of transport tubes is definitely interesting. . .

I think it'd be interesting to take it a step forward in the sense of dupe specific transport tubes. Portal 2 comes to mind with the transport tubes (Even though those tubes weren't made for people, but hopefully you know what I'm getting at). 

I would imagine that in the research tree, one would have to research the item tubes first and perhaps something else relating to life support or w/e.

It seems plausible that this idea will be in the game at some point. Hopefully, in future updates, there will be a tube tech tree for this kind of thing or just a huge transportation tree in general.

Tubes could be fun, especially should one be able to connect them to storage compactors (of which we need a higher capacity version along the batteries) plus an endpoint building (needs power) for the dupes to fetch/dropoff resources from/to. Every run of tube should transfer only one item at a time but be bidirectional, so a router (late research, needs power, with some FIFO buffer to avoid deadlocks) to segment bigger setups would be helpful.

On 3/7/2017 at 4:49 PM, Masterpintsman said:

Tubes could be fun, especially should one be able to connect them to storage compactors (of which we need a higher capacity version along the batteries) plus an endpoint building (needs power) for the dupes to fetch/dropoff resources from/to. Every run of tube should transfer only one item at a time but be bidirectional, so a router (late research, needs power, with some FIFO buffer to avoid deadlocks) to segment bigger setups would be helpful.

Yep. I think tubes should be set up like gas pipes.

5 hours ago, FluxFaraday said:

Gas, liquid, solid pipe.

Gas, liquid, solid filter.

... intake, vent, etc.  Sounds good to me!

Maybe a way to overlap the piping so it can share the same tile space without having to build a (honestly ugly) pipe over thinger. A color co-ordination that you could select like the prioritizing?

Example.png

1 minute ago, Kael_Rus said:

Maybe a way to overlap the piping so it can share the same tile space without having to build a (honestly ugly) pipe over thinger. A color co-ordination that you could select like the prioritizing?

Something like that would be awesome.  

17 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

I think there is already overlay hell, and honestly I like that I'm limited to one level of plumbing as this is a fun minigame in itself...

Oooooh, color co-ordinated overlays as well! That's a great idea man!

11 hours ago, Kael_Rus said:

Example.png

Great Idea.

I think that conveyor belts would be very difficult to be put in the game, the prospective won't help at all, plus it would only work on straight horyzontal surfaces and isn't very adjustable with digging around a lot

The tube network is pretty neat idea, as it would make sweep a less obnoxious and time wasting operation.

For the advanced transportation, i had an idea.

At the moment, the only useful way to cover long distance are ladders. Period. They are climbable, are branchable, you can go about everywhere building the right amount of ladders. Moving on ladders is slow, tho.

What do we know right now about about most of the systems in game?

That having stuff like pipes and cables is something already well implemented.

So, rollercoaster! Or, skilift, or cableway, call it as you prefer!

The old problem "Dupes on one side, Muckroots on the other" as shown in figure,2017-03-10 20_54_53-Oxygen Not Included.png

can be solved by an infrastructure somehow like this:

cableway.png

Now, in the example a ladder placed horizontally would have still accomplished the job. Now think of that one far exploring path you are creating to find some huge water basin, and how much time your dupes are wasting just to go to the toilet or to get some food. The cableway is easily expandable and fast, it might even restore some relax since it is comfy.

I have most of the question already answered in my head, but I'm too sleepy to make a nice post with all my toughts. If you like the idea, but something does not work for you, just tell me, and i'll explain how it will work in game

I think belts should just be a normal block, the con is it takes up space, but the pro is it can transport duplicates makes them move faster than walking by X2. This is very useful when your base is very large and going to one place takes too long. Very useful later in game if you cannot get teleportation yet.

1 hour ago, Guluere said:

I think belts should just be a normal block, the con is it takes up space, but the pro is it can transport duplicates makes them move faster than walking by X2. This is very useful when your base is very large and going to one place takes too long. Very useful later in game if you cannot get teleportation yet.

If they are X2 speed when walking on the belt in the direction it is going, wouldn't they be unable to walk in the opposit direction - as they would walk but not getting forward as the belt would cancel their effort... ?

7 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

If they are X2 speed when walking on the belt in the direction it is going, wouldn't they be unable to walk in the opposit direction - as they would walk but not getting forward as the belt would cancel their effort... ?

Their speed is X/2 instead.

1 hour ago, Guluere said:

Their speed is X/2 instead.

My math tells me that - in case their speed S would be S*2 if walking in the direction of the belt on it (at least that's what I gathered from the X2) -  their speed would be S (them) - S (belt) = 0 (zero), when walking against the belt on it.

4 minutes ago, Masterpintsman said:

My math tells me that - in case their speed S would be S*2 if walking in the direction of the belt on it (at least that's what I gathered from the X2) -  their speed would be S (them) - S (belt) = 0 (zero), when walking against the belt on it.

then just make the belt add 50% movement speed and when running against it it gets reduced by 50%.

say their base movement speed is 100. on belt=150, against belt=50?

Conveyor belts would have been one of my suggestions. but not for transportation. I'd use them for mining.

Create a long conveyor belt line and have all my lovely items drop on it. Turn it on then have the conveyor belt feed them back to base where my sweep crew waits patiently. Would make things much more efficient because if you set the belts up right you'd only ever have to sweep one location after your initial base clean up. Would also help a bit getting morbs and hatches where you want them (yes I know it can be done without a belt).

You could have it be hamster wheel operated to make further use of your runners.

Archived