Chaotica's Hardly-Ever-Updated Thread of Art and Stuff!

Hey everybody.  I draw/actually FINISH things really slowly, so don't know how much this thread will actually have.  It'd be faster if I could just casually sketch on paper and then scan it in/take a picture...but I lack both a scanner and a decent digital camera.  (Including on my phone, which is a dumb-phone.) 

But anyway, enjoy a Don't Starve picture I did just recently.  I call this:

spring.png

Spring!

And yes, I know I cannot draw frogs to save my life.  But at least Webber has that uber-fashionable rain poncho!  And adorable galoshes. ;)

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
forgot the galoshes!
  • Like 8

I especially like how one of them is ALREADY TRYING TO ATTACK HIM before it even _lands_. Because they're just _that_ jerky.  : P

Trivia:  I made sure one of the flowers he's holding was grape hyacinths--not only because I like them, but because they always show up all over my actual yard in spring.  :)

...Notorious

• Like 3

Yep. :)  I wanted to see how many of the major spring traits I could put into picture:  Rain, flowers, green grass, _frog_ rain AND the Spring Giant.  Hee.

And wow...these colours are STILL saturated compared to Don't Starve's palette?  Well, I guess they are.  Heh.  You have no idea how far down into the grey I pulled each custom colour before using it.  If I had gone with my normal style, it'd REALLY look different for Don't Starve!

Well, no, you've kinda seen that--my Walani picture is closer to the colours I'd normally use.  There's an example.  I thought about shading this one, but the lack of definite shadows kind of helps everything look more properly muted due to the overcast.  So, yeah.

...Notorious

• Like 1

Well, this thread is probably gonna end up on the second page at least pretty soon, 'cos _fast_ is one way I do not draw.  At least, not on the computer.  (Where I'm painstakingly making all the lines and shading just so _with my OFF hand_--naturally, that's gonna be a bit slower.) 

But it's absolutely amazing to me that I'm actually drawing at ALL right now.  I mean, actually _finishing_ things.  Ever since I first got depressed, I've felt that my creativity almost completely died--I didn't even feel the _urge_ to draw anymore.  I'd sometimes design things using other people's artwork (doll maker games, Sims, etc.) or just part of a sketch that I gave up on because I couldn't figure out how to draw the object or pose I wanted...and then forgot about it entirely.  So, you guys don't even know what a big deal this is to me, that I'm ACTUALLY FINISHING PICTURES.  You don't even KNOW.  We're talking _years_ here of my DeviantArt account being all but _dead_.

SO, therapy session over--here's a thing.  Minespatch, you said you wanted to see the progress on things; here ya go.

summerlines.png

Lineart YAY.

(No, you can't actually water your plants with a watering can in Don't Starve.  I know this.  But you SHOULD be able to.  It would be so adorable!  Yes, it'd tweak it just that _little_ bit closer to H. P. Lovecraft's Stardew Valley Harvest Moon, but who cares?)

Note that since I drew this in the oldschool version of Paint, there are absolutely _no extra pixels_ around any of the outlines.  It makes nice purely blank areas you can just boop! fill with one click of the bucket, without having to worry about tolerances and such.  This MEANS, that if you want you can kinda use this picture like a colouring book.  :) What colour(s) should Willow's dress be?  YOU decide!

Also she's not actually missing a finger--it's supposed to be under the brim of her hat.  : P

...Notorious

weird typo
  • Like 6

PRetty cute. Her watering can matches her lighter.

I love how dynamic the piece is. The silhouette of dragonfly is pretty cool and shows a distance. For Willow's plaid outfit, maybe you could try a color scheme of blue and yellow or different shades of red and orange?

Keep pressing on with your projects and if a thought pops in your head that you really want to draw, keep it on your first post and return to it. IT's surprising how some ideas can come out different when you return to your must-draw list.

Heheh.  Actually I already know what colour Willow's dress is, 'cos it's based off of my own current favourite in-game summer outfit!

sandstorm.png

Kind of ironic that the clearest picture of it is the one where she's suffering in the sandstorm... : P

That, with the straw hat instead of the goggles.  Which, actually, is exactly what I'm wearing in the "The Antlion is trying to kill off the Pig King!" picture, but since I'm squatting in that one, you can't see the outfit itself as well.  Heh.  Basically I changed the collar, took off the pockets and added strap things to the rolled-up sleeves, made it checked instead of plaid and into a one-piece dress.  But it's still totally this outfit.  With a sailor-esque collar 'cos when I looked "1920's summer wear", a lot of the casual dresses had that kind of thing goin' on at the top.  Weirdly enough, as a whole, the outfit I've drawn here looks like some actual dresses I've seen from the '30s...which we'll call "close enough".  ;)

And I loved doing the Dragonfly silhouette!  I kept messing up when I tried to draw it properly...and it also looked like it was literally about to land on her.  Like, it looked _way_ too close.  How to make it somewhat easier to draw, and also show a distance?  (lighbulb!) I know!  I'll do a silhouette!  :D

...Notorious

• Like 2

Aaaand here are the original colours...

summeroriginalcolours.png

...and after summer TRULY struck:

summer.png

AAAANDDD, as a bonus...lineart for the next one!

autumnlines.png

Heehee!  Of course, you know what I'm doing by now (if you hadn't already).  ONE guess as to who's gonna be in the winter picture, and you'd probably be right.  :D

(Also KITTY!!!  EEEEE!)

...Notorious

• Like 4

Yeah, thought I'd try to capture the summer lighting.  Trivia: I didn't just hit any one button to "sepiatone" this (and besides, that would've made ALL the colours various shades of yellow/brown, rather than throwing like a _tint_ over the original colours).  Instead, I tweaked everything carefully in Irfranview, an oldschool (and free!) image-editing program I use all the time.  You can mess with the red, blue, and green values, the brightness, contrast, gamma and overall saturation. 

Autumn:  default starting season--default starting character!  Yeah, there's no hint of the Bearger here to match the other two; I figure this is the _first_ autumn.  Hee.  It's the nicest season, pretty much the only one where the weather itself isn't constantly out to kill you or drive you insane (andthebestoneinrealife), so that's why this picture is so relaxed.  Also Wilson gets to use the new sit emote!  ;)

And KITTY!!  I know it doesn't quite have the right face-shape of the original catcoons (and everything's gonna look a bit different when I give it proper arms/front legs instead of scribbly black sticks) but it's SO CUUUUTTTEEEE...!  <3  Awww, wook at it "play" with the butterfwy...which is gonna be dead wings on the ground in a second, awww...

(Spoken like a true cat-person.  : P)

...Notorious

• Like 1

Okay!  Having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do the fourth one--that's why it's been a while.  (That, and I'm slow at drawing.  Again--reference the thread's title.  : P)  But for something to bump this thread out of obscurity for a few seconds tide you over, here's a pencil sketch I did while with somebody who _did_ have a phone that can take pictures:

kitties.png

KITTIIIEESSS

Kitties sweeping under da pwetty tweee...

..I'll stop talking like that now.  : P

...Notorious

• Like 5

Yep!  My favourite season (in real life as well) + adorable sleeping fluffy things. Which happen to (almost) be kitties.  What else could you want in life? :)

(The Wilson picture is also autumn...true, the colours aren't in yet but there's a falling leaf in that one as well.  The fourth one--winter--is giving me a bit of trouble right now with things like poses and perspective, but the idea I came up with for it is SO fitting for both the game's tone and the character being featured that I kind of can't _not_ do it.  So that's why it's taking me a while.  Heh.)

Anyway KIITTIEEESS.  :)  Kinda sorta based off that time I went fishing at the oasis (which would have to be in summer instead, obviously) and this random catcoon came by and curled up to sleep near me at the same time my own pet kittykit did, and it was SO CUTE. They weren't actually _this_ close...but it was similar.  Turned out the poor catcoon actually has its _home_ in the oasis!  : P  (Because apparently during world-gen, the game saw enough birch trees together to think it was a small _forest_, and...what goes in birch forests...?)

...Notorious

• Like 1

Which is kinda fun, considering it was just random chance.  I didn't _put_ anything here except the firepit and myself; everything else just grew there/positioned itself there on its own.  I have a lot of fun trying to take screenshots that look cool/interesting/artsy on their own in general.  Sure, you can arrange things beautifully on purpose with the console and the geometric placement mod, but I find it more fun to just see if cool shots..._happen_.

(As for why I'm wearing a rain hat in the dead of summer...it was a case of "I'm out of inventory slots so I'll just wear it until I get home."  : P)

... Notorious

• Like 1

KITTIES!  :)

Speaking of...here's the Wilson picture, in colour!

autumn.PNG

In case you're wondering about the lighting, I've decided it's dusk...but I might change it later on. Anyway, FALL YAY.

Aaaand...preview of the next one!

winterlines.png

The linework on this one was giving me SUCH FITS, trying to figure out how I wanted the outfit to look, the perspective, layering things over each other...well, that and I'm slow in general. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  : P

Huuuuge looming shadow...and Wigfrid is like:  "BRING IT."  That's our girl!

...Notorious

• Like 4