Voting for having Oxygen not included in 32 bits

On 3/2/2017 at 8:02 PM, Risu said:

The pointer size of the CPU has nothing to do with speed. They are just getting faster due to technology.
The pointer size dictates the size of the addressable space; RAM.

64 bit also indicates that it is capable of operating on 64 bit wide data in a single pass, rather than breaking it down to 2 32 bit operations as the previous architecture would.

I'm having a hard time finding a citation for this, but I have read that a practical result of this is that 64 bit CPU pipelines sometimes combine 2 32-bit integer operations into one pass.

SIMD is a similar (but non-automatic) version of this, and while it was available in 32 bits, it gains access to more CPU registers in 64, allowing more work to be done without having to suspend execution to store / fetch data from RAM (which is significantly slower compared to the registers).

There are likewise similar instructions that were only created after 64 bit architectures came about, and not all can be used in 32 bit process mode for one reason or another.  Many of these are used in things like cryptography, video/audio encoding and decoding, and file compression.  Many game engines take advantage of these, although admittedly only after declaring a 64 bit requirement for the greater memory availability.

Anyway, that's my first nerd-out of the day, time go to back to asphyxiating and cursing the hydrogen generator.  

Well I wanted one day to switch for 64 bits but i don't have the money and I can't switch without money my parents don't want to buy me that :/ I know that there is more 64 bits user than 32 bits that why a wanted to someone make a vote to see if we can do anything  but I don't want to disturb anyone .

Anyways there's my system (i'm not english so sorry if you don't totally understand :/ I tried to make it in english but didn't work)

Système d’exploitation    Microsoft Windows 7 Édition Intégrale
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Informations supplémentaires     Non disponible
Éditeur    Microsoft Corporation
Ordinateur    CLIEN-PC
Fabricant    Acer
Modèle    Aspire E1-531
Type    PC à base X86
Processeur    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 MHz, 2 cœur(s), 2 processeur(s) logique(s)
Version du BIOS/Date    Insyde Corp. V2.14, 19/02/2013
Version SMBIOS    2.7
Répertoire Windows    C:\Windows
Répertoire système    C:\Windows\system32
Périphérique de démarrage    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Option régionale    États-Unis
Couche d’abstraction matérielle    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Utilisateur    Clien-PC\Clien
Fuseaux horaires    Paris, Madrid
Mémoire physique (RAM) installée    4.00 Go
Mémoire physique totale    2.58 Go
Mémoire physique disponible    1.30 Go
Mémoire virtuelle totale    5.16 Go
Mémoire virtuelle disponible    3.68 Go
Espace pour le fichier d’échange    2.58 Go
Fichier d’échange    C:\pagefile.sys

@ventflocon Not sure that computer would run the game anyway since the minimum graphics requirement is Intel HD4600, your computer runs the Intel HD3000 series.

Also I can't find any retailer that sold this computer with a 32bit OS, all I can find shipped it with Win7 64bit or Win8 64bit, did you install that yourself or did you actually get it like that?

On 3/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, Targa_X said:

It's kind of like asking a small game developer to add support for Mac and Linux.

What little I know about Unity is that it's a fairly easy port to Linux, so once we see a finished Windows version, Linux/Mac may not be far behind.

Re-writing to 32bit, though, is another story.  Most older 32 bit systems may support upgrading to 64 bit, but having the memory and CPU to run modern 64 bit games is another question.

C code is amazingly portable on its own.  The issue comes up when you start using platform specific APIs. Given that the game performs most of its interaction with the os through unity, I suspect this won't be too much of a showstopper.

The only real trouble I could see is if the game starts doing some real interesting things with thread scheduling, or tries to take the cuda core route to offload things like thermodynamics to the graphics card.  Given the calculations it needs to make, this would be a interesting avenue for performance.

Anyway, the bigger issue is if you end up needing to change the compiler to target the new OS.  I've had some nasty surprises trying to port things by switching from msvc to GCC, but to be fair they are either due to not understanding how to configure the thing, or more often some legitimate bug of mine where msvc's incorrect behavior caused it to work.

Turns out you shouldn't change an array pointer's location as a side effect in an operation to set one of its elements, go figure.

12 hours ago, Tias said:

@ventflocon Not sure that computer would run the game anyway since the minimum graphics requirement is Intel HD4600, your computer runs the Intel HD3000 series.

Also I can't find any retailer that sold this computer with a 32bit OS, all I can find shipped it with Win7 64bit or Win8 64bit, did you install that yourself or did you actually get it like that?

Well i get it like that and i think i can run this game because i have many games like life is strange , state of decay , bioshock infinite ,don't starve, tony hawk's pro skater   who did actually work with little bugs sometimes but did work .

At the end of the day, it just really isn't practical for developers to maintain a 32-bit branch of their games anymore unless they really need that legacy support (such as some office apps).  It ends up being additional work to maintain a second branch, which means additional bug fixes and other such issues.

While I know it may be frustrating to be in a boat where you cannot play a game because you're still on an older system, however that can apply to a whole lot of games (and not just because of the architecture).  This is just how the gaming market works, you develop games for  the majority of users.  Currently, the majority of gamers utilize 64-bit systems and as such that is what new games are going to be developed for.  Generally speaking, it won't really be worth it (from a business standpoint) to support legacy systems.

24 minutes ago, Ecu said:

At the end of the day, it just really isn't practical for developers to maintain a 32-bit branch of their games anymore unless they really need that legacy support (such as some office apps).  It ends up being additional work to maintain a second branch, which means additional bug fixes and other such issues.

While I know it may be frustrating to be in a boat where you cannot play a game because you're still on an older system, however that can apply to a whole lot of games (and not just because of the architecture).  This is just how the gaming market works, you develop games for  the majority of users.  Currently, the majority of gamers utilize 64-bit systems and as such that is what new games are going to be developed for.  Generally speaking, it won't really be worth it (from a business standpoint) to support legacy systems.

I see but you think that in the future  when the game will be more old they will do a 32 bits version? 

22 minutes ago, ventflocon said:

I see but you think that in the future  when the game will be more old they will do a 32 bits version? 

Absolutely not.  Think about it a bit...why would they add another development branch after the game has been completed, requiring them to rework any code that utilizes the 64-bit architecture.  It doesn't make any sense to do so, especially when they are not likely to gain a significant amount of additional sales to support the additional development time.

You are better off saving a bit of money (if you're under age, rake some lawns to something) and getting yourself a 64-bit OS as you are not likely to see a majority of developers support 32-bit in the near future.

14 hours ago, Ecu said:

Absolutely not.  Think about it a bit...why would they add another development branch after the game has been completed, requiring them to rework any code that utilizes the 64-bit architecture.  It doesn't make any sense to do so, especially when they are not likely to gain a significant amount of additional sales to support the additional development time.

You are better off saving a bit of money (if you're under age, rake some lawns to something) and getting yourself a 64-bit OS as you are not likely to see a majority of developers support 32-bit in the near future.

I see, thank you. I will do something for my OS I really want to play this game *-*" 

On 2017-03-07 at 0:53 PM, ventflocon said:

Well i get it like that and i think i can run this game because i have many games like life is strange , state of decay , bioshock infinite ,don't starve, tony hawk's pro skater   who did actually work with little bugs sometimes but did work .

Those games are made to run on 3000-series or older though, ONI has listed HD4600 as minimum, while it might work chances are it won't.

3 hours ago, Tias said:

Those games are made to run on 3000-series or older though, ONI has listed HD4600 as minimum, while it might work chances are it won't.

yeah maybe that will work i don't know

I check another time if I can switch in 64 bits with another video than before and I find that I can :o that's weird maybe the site of where I check if I can switch in 64 bits before was false 

Système  
  Fabricant Acer
  Modèle Aspire E1-531
  Quantité totale de mémoire système Mémoire vive 4.00 Go
  Type du système Système d’exploitation 32 bits
  Nombre de cœurs de processeur 2
  Compatible 64 bits Oui

On 3/6/2017 at 7:06 PM, tehMugwump said:

What little I know about Unity is that it's a fairly easy port to Linux, so once we see a finished Windows version, Linux/Mac may not be far behind.

Re-writing to 32bit, though, is another story.  Most older 32 bit systems may support upgrading to 64 bit, but having the memory and CPU to run modern 64 bit games is another question.

I think the store page should make it clear the game only supports 64-bit though. 

Yes the number of people on 32-bit is tiny but the store page should reflect that the game only runs on 64-bit just so people aren't confused

26 minutes ago, ventflocon said:

yeah maybe that will work i don't know

I check another time if I can switch in 64 bits with another video than before and I find that I can :o that's weird maybe the site of where I check if I can switch in 64 bits before was false 

Système  
  Fabricant Acer
  Modèle Aspire E1-531
  Quantité totale de mémoire système Mémoire vive 4.00 Go
  Type du système Système d’exploitation 32 bits
  Nombre de cœurs de processeur 2
  Compatible 64 bits Oui

note you have 2 problems

1) The game only supports 64-bit 

2) The game only supports DX11

While you can theoretically solve #1 by reinstalling your OS

You cannot fix #2 because the HD3000 does not support DX11. Thus you can never run the game on the hardware you have right now, even if the game had a 32-bit version or you had a 64-bit OS.

1 hour ago, satoru said:

note you have 2 problems

You cannot fix #2 because the HD3000 does not support DX11. Thus you can never run the game on the hardware you have right now, even if the game had a 32-bit version or you had a 64-bit OS.

Not 100% about being DX11 only. I am successfully playing the game in a laptop with only DX9.

1 hour ago, satoru said:

note you have 2 problems

hmm I see well if I solve the problems with 32 bits I'll test it maybe that will work I don't want to regretting not have tried and if it's not completely 100% I think I have my chance ^^

the large number of 32 bit systems that Microsoft is reporting are likely business machines in an office setting and the company does not want to upgrade them.  Also I worked for a National company that we had to use a window 7 32 bit because the legacy support for the company software that they did not want to spend the money to rewrite at the time as the software was there own.

14 hours ago, Apsmar said:

the large number of 32 bit systems that Microsoft is reporting are likely business machines in an office setting and the company does not want to upgrade them.  Also I worked for a National company that we had to use a window 7 32 bit because the legacy support for the company software that they did not want to spend the money to rewrite at the time as the software was there own.

Which is funny, as 32bit software runs on the 64bit version of windows 7.

I just wanted to say that you can legally install 64 bit windows using the key from 32 bit windows as long as it's the same edition. All you have to do is find a 64 bit disc of the same edition of windows you are using. 

You should do a full backup before this (preferably with something that can restore individual files/folders) and get the driver package for your system prior to installing the 64 bit version, as you'll need to wipe the system partition (C:) for this to work (and to get a stable system). With some nice asking the support of your system manufacture might point you towards a download of a complete system image...

5 hours ago, AlexRou said:

I just wanted to say that you can legally install 64 bit windows using the key from 32 bit windows as long as it's the same edition. All you have to do is find a 64 bit disc of the same edition of windows you are using. 

This should not be taken for sure as you think.

If you bought a 32 windows installer DVD and installed on a partition, what do you say is fine.

But, if you bought a PC from - let's say - HP, such an assertion can not be done. They own their custom "serialization" key, which ensure them to deliver a copy of windows along a number of their not-so-garbage PC's. You don't own nothing. i.e., the key from your actual working windows you will try to put in the fresh installed windows won't work, because it is shared with others HP system, plus, again, it is licensed to HP, not you.

Sources: happened to me after upgrading from HDD to SSD, i made that exact assumption and had to buy a Windows disc.

Archived