Voting for having Oxygen not included in 32 bits

I don't really know how to make that but i want someone create a vote for having this goodgame :Oxygen not included in 32 bits I really have a crush for this game  but i can't play :( so maybe if we do that that will increase our chance for having this game in 32 bits .I'm sorry if that will disturb to have it in 32  bits but i really like this game .

• Developer
2 hours ago, ventflocon said:

so maybe if we do that that will increase our chance for having this game in 32 bits

Klei didn't do a 32-bits version because they didn't want to but because of the technical complications it'd bring. 32-bit systems just can't support a lot of things in the game, and adding support to it would be really hard for Klei.

32 bits is really antiquated now. There are all kinds of reasons why it's been gradually phased out (like physical RAM limits). Sometimes you really just have to upgrade your system I'm afraid.

I personally don't see what part of the game would be taking up the entire 4 GB of RAM - however, 32 bit systems are ancient history by now. We're talking what, Pentium 4s? I'd wager a guess and say you kept using a 32 bit OS and never bothered to transition to 64 bit. That transition is long overdue. I'd be genuinely surprised if the machine is 32 bit and couldn't handle 64 bit.

2 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

I personally don't see what part of the game would be taking up the entire 4 GB of RAM - however, 32 bit systems are ancient history by now. We're talking what, Pentium 4s? I'd wager a guess and say you kept using a 32 bit OS and never bothered to transition to 64 bit. That transition is long overdue. I'd be genuinely surprised if the machine is 32 bit and couldn't handle 64 bit.

In my pc, after some hours the game can take as 7 GiB, and i bet it would consume even more if i had more physical RAM.

For now the game runs, which is important, later they will improve their memory handling.

It's common performance problem for inexperienced programers to use #@!$% unity engine.To avoid bugs like this use Yours brain and learn proper programing practices.

It's totally dependent on knowledge of the programming and design people and how smart and good they are. Not having this game on 32bit system is only matter of money, they don't want to put work on platform that can get them profits.

In !@#$% unity engine You don't have to think about performance because You assume that "magic" can work it out.

Today standards for any 2d game had gone to trash. It's the real word and no , there is no "magic". There is profit where good  game play is. Too bad that artist and designer can't have more freedom because programers can't get good performance with "magic".

Easy peasy lemon squeezy 7 GB are from memory leaks, bad design to solution of problem and bad programming.

1 hour ago, Collic said:

I know a lot of us are talking about RAM, but I suspect the real reason is  the game using features in the 64bit unity engine.

It's actually due to them using a 64 bit simulation DLL. Also the likely reason why it's currently Windows only.

I'd be happy with 32 bit availability.  I purchased the game after reading PC specs on the store page, where it doesn't mention the need for 64 bit.  Didn't look at specs again in the forums where purchase is available.  Had to request a refund. If there was a way to know it will be coming I will repurchase.  I need a new PC, but that's a slow saving process and I'd like to play now.  Super excited to play then disappointment... :(

Unless your computer is like 15 years old it's just a matter of updating your operating system to 64bit, and if your computer actually is 15 years or older there's no way you're running the game anyway ;)

12 hours ago, QwnButtercup said:

I'd be happy with 32 bit availability.  I purchased the game after reading PC specs on the store page, where it doesn't mention the need for 64 bit.  Didn't look at specs again in the forums where purchase is available.  Had to request a refund. If there was a way to know it will be coming I will repurchase.  I need a new PC, but that's a slow saving process and I'd like to play now.  Super excited to play then disappointment... :(

The first thing I'd do is to check the CPU on the system. It might actually support 64 bit, and you might not know it. If it does, then you don't need a new computer - just a new OS.

Other than memory usage - the rest of the requirements aren't bad, actually. A cheap PC would work. You could probably buy or build one for $300 or less. The only issue might be that $300 computers tend to be 4 GB, and definitely don't expect to be playing many games on such a low end machine.

You could also check to see if anybody's selling a used gaming PC. Many used gaming rigs are plenty powerful, it's just that the owner has moved to the latest and greatest (which you certainly don't need for this game). Looking at the requirements, my old Core 2 machine certainly could've run it.

Sure, why not a 32-bit version if more people can play a fun game? Just hamstring it to stay within the boundaries of the lesser ram space, if that is what's holding it back. Say, really small maps, or less frequently updated environment, or fewer sims.

Just don't hamstring the 64-bit version please. It's a bit tiresome to be held back by before-last-gen users.

There are actually very valid reasons to create a program in 32-bit. Just because you now can have double bits doesn't automatically mean it's faster. 32-bit programs can be faster than 64-bit programs. It all depends on the program in question.

But generally, if a program consumes more than 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit is the way to go. That being said, I have no idea how much RAM this game actually uses.....

1 hour ago, PaleoComburo said:

There are actually very valid reasons to create a program in 32-bit. Just because you now can have double bits doesn't automatically mean it's faster. 32-bit programs can be faster than 64-bit programs. It all depends on the program in question.

But generally, if a program consumes more than 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit is the way to go. That being said, I have no idea how much RAM this game actually uses.....

Actually, modern development is generally based off of usage numbers.  Given that a majority of computers used for gaming are 64-bit and it allows for leveraging more memory, there really ISN'T a good reason to develop 32-bit.  Not to mention that as @Risu stated, pointer size does not dictate speed (however, 64-bit chipsets are generally faster as they are utilizing newer technology).

11 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

The first thing I'd do is to check the CPU on the system. It might actually support 64 bit, and you might not know it. If it does, then you don't need a new computer - just a new OS.

Other than memory usage - the rest of the requirements aren't bad, actually. A cheap PC would work. You could probably buy or build one for $300 or less. The only issue might be that $300 computers tend to be 4 GB, and definitely don't expect to be playing many games on such a low end machine.

You could also check to see if anybody's selling a used gaming PC. Many used gaming rigs are plenty powerful, it's just that the owner has moved to the latest and greatest (which you certainly don't need for this game). Looking at the requirements, my old Core 2 machine certainly could've run it.

I agree, and thank you.  I did look at upgrading to 64 bit and my PC does support it.  Just have to decide it spend the $40 or put it towards something better.  I'll probably just purchase the game and steal my sons awesome laptop when I want to play. LOL

5 hours ago, QwnButtercup said:

I agree, and thank you.  I did look at upgrading to 64 bit and my PC does support it.  Just have to decide it spend the $40 or put it towards something better.  I'll probably just purchase the game and steal my sons awesome laptop when I want to play. LOL

There are ways to upgrade to 64bit without spending any money. Not that I would advocate such a thing *cough*

10 hours ago, Ecu said:

Actually, modern development is generally based off of usage numbers.  Given that a majority of computers used for gaming are 64-bit and it allows for leveraging more memory, there really ISN'T a good reason to develop 32-bit.  Not to mention that as @Risu stated, pointer size does not dictate speed (however, 64-bit chipsets are generally faster as they are utilizing newer technology).

Allowing to use more memory is completely different from actually using more memory. If the game doesn't ever use more than 3 GB of RAM, stick to 32-bit. Unless, of course, there are specific CPU instructions that you use that are only available in 64-bit mode. I'm not that familiar with CPU instructions anymore.

But if you create a 64-bit application, all pointers are also 64-bit, meaning you just doubled the memory required for keeping track of the memory blocks you use. And that adds up quickly, This means the size of the stack increases and could very well mean your local function doesn't fit in the CPU cache anymore, which means you need to use a slower (and bigger) cache, causing slow-downs.

See also: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/moving-from-32-bit-applications-to-64-bit-applications-en/

The good bits start at the paragraph "Do we have to move to 64 bits?".

5 hours ago, PaleoComburo said:

Allowing to use more memory is completely different from actually using more memory. If the game doesn't ever use more than 3 GB of RAM, stick to 32-bit. Unless, of course, there are specific CPU instructions that you use that are only available in 64-bit mode. I'm not that familiar with CPU instructions anymore.

But if you create a 64-bit application, all pointers are also 64-bit, meaning you just doubled the memory required for keeping track of the memory blocks you use. And that adds up quickly, This means the size of the stack increases and could very well mean your local function doesn't fit in the CPU cache anymore, which means you need to use a slower (and bigger) cache, causing slow-downs.

See also: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/moving-from-32-bit-applications-to-64-bit-applications-en/

The good bits start at the paragraph "Do we have to move to 64 bits?".

Sure, if you are certain your application will never need to use the additional memory and you have interest supporting legacy devices.  However, changing in the future hurts existing users and requires overhauling your infrastructure.  It isn't generally a good plan.  As a majority of PC's used for gaming are already 64-bit, it makes more sense to use that architecture over 32-bit, pretty much always now days.

In addition to this, Unity 5.5 seems to require 64-bit if you want console support at all (which makes sense as modern consoles are 64-bit systems).  As ONI is developed in Unity, why would they not choose the architecture with the most support for additional systems?

All in all, when developing games now day (and as I said initially), you use the system that the majority of your users do.  Currently that is 64-bit systems.  It just is.  I understand that it may be frustrating for some who have older machines and have yet to update, but honestly you cannot blame a development company for not supporting such.

It's kind of like asking a small game developer to add support for Mac and Linux. Sure it would be nice for those users, but the vast majority of PC gamers don't use those platforms. The relatively small number of additional sales (in comparison to sales to MS Windows users) is usually not a high priority for developers, and support for these systems usually comes at the end of development, if at all. For Klei to invest the time, money, and resources into developing 32-bit support at this time is just not a very realistic or viable approach.

Then of course there's the flip side. According to Microsoft, "There are still hundreds of millions of 32-bit computers out there", and as of the beginning of 2015 (admittedly a couple of years ago, but I couldn't find stats for anything more recent) approximately 70 million 32-bit computers connected to Windows Update. New computer sales, however, show a drastic trend toward 64-bit, as approximately 98% of all new computer sales feature a 64-bit OS.

On 3/1/2017 at 1:25 PM, ventflocon said:

I don't really know how to make that but i want someone create a vote for having this goodgame :Oxygen not included in 32 bits I really have a crush for this game  but i can't play :( so maybe if we do that that will increase our chance for having this game in 32 bits .I'm sorry if that will disturb to have it in 32  bits but i really like this game .

I'm really curious, what's your system setup? Could u post your specs?

Archived