The most morbid O2 generator yet (cycle 874 update)

So I figured. My dupes can breathe contaminated oxygen, right? Morbs fart it or otherwise emit that. Let's instead of rejecting uninteresting dupes just kill them off, and use them as breeding ground for morbs.

The two pens holds about 12 morbs currently which is plenty to keep 5-6 dupes breathing, I sometimes went out CO2 at the bottom but other than that everything is self-sustainable. There's two algae terrariums in the picture but I really don't need them, they just makes it easier because there's longer time betwween I have to vent the base (which is done manually by removing a tile from the bottom).

The extremely good thing about morb emited contaminated O2... at least from those that spawn from killed off dupes is that it keeps a rock solid 22-24 degrees temperature, and is in fact helping to cool down the base. Only to a minor extent but it's something at least.

In this build I'm doing as much as I can to prepare for and avoiding premature heat death. Realistically, this could go on 1000s of cycles with minimal maintenance.

Beyond the initial research I haven't used electricity at all. I could, and probably will at some point as I have found 2 Hutch that I keep as pets (not in picture)... btw, don't try and put them in the same cage. They are cannibals it turns out, and I had to save scrum that.

Other than that, there's only to note that I chose the dupes this time for their ability to explore the map. Explorers historically needed good winds to be successful. I chose dupes with flatulence which got that good wind coming from the back so they can make their own small pockets of breathable air if they're in a far of corner of the map.

2017-02-28.png

There are drawbacks. And plenty off them. They get sick constantly, and while it may not kill them outright it does lower their skills, or have other adverse effects. In "clean house" builds I've pretty much done exclusively until I found the perfect combination of evil intend, the dupes are way more efficient as they aren't nearly as stressed out, don't get winded all the time, and mostly don't vomit or sh*t themselves because they've gotten some diseases.

Some part of me is thinking the dupes in the shallow graves got the best bargain in this build. :D

So we have Morp that can

• be spawn at will
  • generate not so optimum O²
  • generate temperate atmosphere
  • lift water ( see what Seedling says in the bug section, yes I had already propose a pump).

Even if they are not the best at everything, they seems quite versatiles.

Cleaned up the place and made a few minor changes. Everything is rock solid now.

Uses absolutely nothing. No water. No algae. No sand. No electricity. No nothing.
(EDIT: Technically outhouse use 10kg dirt per dupe per cycle but having not even dug out half the dirt there is and I have enough for 3122 cycles in storage already. And even when that does run out, you can see the base can cope fine with people just relieving themselves where they are as there's automatic pumps in the bottom to clean it out) 

Temperatures are the same inside the base now as they were 40 cycles before.

Stress is a non-issue as decor in bunk is over 400 in all and 495 in one.

The dupes don't have to do any tasks other than sleeping, eating and going to the rest room (granted occasionally the outhouse has to be cleaned and sometimes they go outside the base to the hand sanitizer).

They don't need to harvest either as there's 5 mealwood per dupes set up in one planted per dupe per day so they just drop on the floor ready to be eaten. Don't need food storage box either.

CO2 is destroyed by the 2 manual airlock in front of the right side outhouse where it naturally drift to. As the dupes has to use the outhouse at least once a day this was a sure way to make sure the airlocks would be used. Using more than two actually destroys too much "clean" air.

2017-02-28 (1).png

2017-02-28 (2).png

2017-02-28 (3).png

2017-02-28 (4).png

An update. It turns out a single airlock in front of the outhouse is plenty.

Now on cycle 222. Only stress problems occur when I send them on long exploration to the edges of the map.

Found places on the map that are really cold... liquid chlorine cold. How about a storage box built of -40 degrees igneous rock?

On 2/28/2017 at 0:36 AM, Saturnus said:

Other than that, there's only to note that I chose the dupes this time for their ability to explore the map. Explorers historically needed good winds to be successful. I chose dupes with flatulence which got that good wind coming from the back so they can make their own small pockets of breathable air if they're in a far of corner of the map.

Your entire post is brilliant but this right here is a thing of beauty.

This gave me the idea to see how long it would take for a Morb-powered base to become self-sustaining. For my starting 3 Dupes, I chose my "keeper" with a -35 decor requirement, and the slow learner trait. For the other two I chose one with +11 Learning for fast research, and +8 Creativity, for halfway decent art. I killed them off on cycle 15. The base became self-sustaining on cycle 17. The screenshots are from cycle 22 because I wanted to wait to take the screenshots after the clean oxygen had pretty much vanished.

O3x4pvq.jpg

yLQvoLO.jpg

At cycle 333 no change in sustainability. It's completely self-managing and maintenance free so I can just run it in the background.

I've explored 2/3rds of the map. In those cases, I found it useful to set up a base camp with cots, outhouse, and a full food storage box, block of access back to base so they don't run back there all the time (remember to assign the dupes the cots or they'll sleep on the floor next to a cot).

This makes exploration much more effective as there's literally nothing they need to go back to for, and yet, if you don't block off the route they will.

I should note that I've set up a large battery bank and coal generator inside an abyssalite vein. The abyssalite cracked when I tried making it a vacuum so it's not a full vacuum but there are patches with a few grams of air pressure that is hotter than magma, over 2700 degrees.

I found perfect materials for a distiller... iron ore and igneous rocks that are naturally over 800 degrees, and another patch that is naturally -62 degrees.

EDIT: what I'm mostly impressed by that using a manual airlock in front of one of the outhouses still removes (as in completely destroys) the CO2 generated in the base. I'm impressed by how well this actually works.

I love looking at all the different ways people have "solved" the game so far. I ran into a streamer that was on 1300 cycles and was just sitting back and watching things happen. Meanwhile, I'm here trying to make a clean base with flushing toilets, realizing there isn't a way to put water into the system and sustain O^2 at the same time. Enough of my problems, though. I can't wait to see how the devs respond to the way people have been successfully playing the game. Lots of re-works incoming, I bet!

5 hours ago, wordto said:

This is amazing. Also, you're a monster.

What is your preferred method for killing the dupes?

Walling the dupe in while on a massage table in a CO2 rich pit and letting him suffocate to death with a smile on his face.

Actually my dupes are level 30+ and stress is still only happening when they're on prolonged exploration trips. As soon as they come back and have had a turn on the massage tables, it flattens to about 4% stress on average.

so could someone try explain this to me. what exactly is the benefit of contaminated oxygen and killing of the duplicates? I'm fairly new to ONI and don't really get the hang out of it. is this only for exploration ? as in not really trying to build up a base and explore the map or is it actually a thing that keeps you surviving longer

It's basically an attempt at exploring the possibilities in the game. This is a very quick and dirty way of setting up a base that it self-sustaining and maintenance free. That means it you can spend you time exploring the map and testing out different stuff to make a much nicer base with clean air and clean water in the future that can run without spending any resources forever.

13 minutes ago, Tyranidude said:

So for air, you can breath the Morp farts, but what do you do for water? And electricity? Thanks :D

I don't use water or electricity at all. Nor algae or sand either.

That's the very definition of sustainable... that it uses absolute no non-renewable resources at all.

As mentioned earlier. I still use dirt for the outhouses but have enough to about 5200 cycles stored more before that runs out and there is no more on the map.

But then again, I'm already making a distiller to make water in small quantities out of contaminated water without using power I might add, and since I really only need water for lavatories that can just run on an endless loop. Then the base will be truly sustainable.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

I don't use water or electricity at all. Nor algae or sand either.

That's the very definition of sustainable... that it uses absolute no non-renewable resources at all.

As mentioned earlier. I still use dirt for the outhouses but have enough to about 5200 cycles stored more before that runs out and there is no more on the map.

But then again, I'm already making a distiller to make water in small quantities out of contaminated water without using power I might add, and since I really only need water for lavatories that can just run on an endless loop. Then the base will be truly sustainable.

What do you mean a distiller to make water? Also why would you need lavatory? What do you do with all your ressources? Have you thought of getting other creatures to create electricity for research etc etc?

Archived