Purifying contaminated oxygen using thermo regulator

Here is my experiment area. There are total of 16 Thermo Regulator. The power usage of this method is very high.

1mVt32p.png

8II6Hgo.png

wgKdnA1.png

YCcljtb.png

VaH5QYP.png

9Dfak9I.png

One of my duplicate opend the door and the oxygen immediately melted.

The airlock was filled with oxygen.

Is there anyway to lessen the power usage?

54 minutes ago, SneakyGeez said:

Is there anyway to lessen the power usage?

Feed the output of the thermo regulator back into its input, aka loop it onto itself. This will allow the air to circulate and cool down very rapidly. Unfortunately, you'll have to devise your own way to extract the gas inside a looped chamber using gas valves. 

2 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

Feed the output of the thermo regulator back into its input, aka loop it onto itself. This will allow the air to circulate and cool down very rapidly. Unfortunately, you'll have to devise your own way to extract the gas inside a looped chamber using gas valves. 

I was just thinking that if it's frozen oxygen, you could position the output vent above a horizontal airlock and manually release the pellets into your base,  like a trap door. 

1 minute ago, Travin said:

I was just thinking that if it's frozen oxygen, you could position the vent above a horizontal airlock and manually release the pellets it into your base. 

pellets of frozen anything made by the thermo right now is bugged. They kind of jump up and down, gain infinite mass, and have zero effect on the environment. You also can't heat them up to un-pellet them. So, they're just stuck there until it crashes your game. 

I do it with 4 A/C's just looping in contaminated air until i got 5kg/sq then i close the external input and start to cool down until i got the whole air from the pipes liquified. the liquid oxygen got pump where i need it.

B8E302CC58F8A573250187BB186BA53205369FC5

EE6F9AEBC6C8ABCA25FFF43A17C5A31DFD794948

The thing with chaining thermo regulators together is, especially for this, you pretty much need to do a bit of micromanagement, because left to their own devices they're highly inefficient. A gas pump usually only pulls 500g or less of gas per operation, while thermo coolers can take up to around 1500g per cooling -- so by trying to run it constantly, you're wasting 3x+ the amount of power that you could otherwise be getting 3x more oxygen out of.

Instead, what you want/need to make 15+ thermo chains any sort of viable:
* A 2x2 box of 20+ morbs, best gotten by just killing a dupe in it and leaving them for forever.
* 1+ Hatches, the more you have the more often you can run it. (Feed it dirt, since if you're steaming contaminated water, you'll have an endless supply -- though, keep in mind that the dirt will be hot and heat up gas (and the hatches) nearby if not kept in a storage container, which hatches can eat out of just fine)
* A longish gas pipe leading from the morb box to the thermo chain, so that while the thermos are turned off, the pipes all fill up with 10kg of contaminated oxygen.
* 7 coal generators.
* 15+ batteries.

With that setup, you can run a chain of 15 thermo regulators until you run out of coal -- though instead you only want to run them until the 10kg of contaminated oxygen is all used up and <500g nears pumping in. So long as you wait for the hatch(s) to produce as much coal as you've used before turning the thermos on again, it can be done indefinitely to get 500kg+ of oxygen per activation.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you'll want to disable the coal generators whenever you turn off the thermo regulators too, and to just rely on manual power generation to refill the batteries.

Edit 2: It just occurred to me, if you were to invest in cooling down around 1200kg of building materials to -200c through any means necessary and built tiles out of them, you could build a completely passive way to turn contaminated oxygen into liquid oxygen. Probably would take 20+ cycles to do, but once you have it, you're set for life.

haha i bricked my saves into auto crash mode twice playing with purifying oxygen.

the thing is you MUST put NORMAL tiles below the air vent output of your 16 super coolers and always use a filter so that garbage air dont get in the tank.

You must also place some batteries below the normal tiles and let the liquid flow by itself to not create buggy solid material which always crashes your game. letting the super cooled liquid oxygen flow directly onto the batteries from the vents will create buggy materials and it will brick your save somehow

dont use mesh tiles because they will crash your game if a liquid freezes inside of it i think.

bottom line is its all so buggy. 

15 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

pellets of frozen anything made by the thermo right now is bugged. They kind of jump up and down, gain infinite mass, and have zero effect on the environment. You also can't heat them up to un-pellet them. So, they're just stuck there until it crashes your game. 

One of my frozen oxygen was melted after one of the duplicate opened the airlock, maybe that's the way to un-pellet them?

17 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

If I do that, I will crash my game. Once the temperature reach 237(I am not sure). It crash my game everytime.

13 minutes ago, SneakyGeez said:

One of my frozen oxygen was melted after one of the duplicate opened the airlock, maybe that's the way to un-pellet them?

If I do that, I will crash my game. Once the temperature reach 237(I am not sure). It crash my game everytime.

Game crashes if you go under -273,15 °C aka 0 Kelvin.

Which probably means the temperature is an unsigned number type and there is no check... sigh.

1 hour ago, Vilda said:

Game crashes if you go under -273,15 °C aka 0 Kelvin.

Which probably means the temperature is an unsigned number type and there is no check... sigh.

If the game don't crash. Then it will be viable to use thermo regulator to purify oxygen.

Archived