Are all colonies doomed?

34 minutes ago, JonathanSmith said:

I dearly hope that steam distillation not only remains without a structure, but that more 'physics' based systems become available for making your habitat self-sustaining. Trying to design a better water distillation plant is currently the most fun I'm getting out of this game.

As for my air supply... Well. I designed an apparently limitless oxygen source... but it's not pretty. Only the oldest dupes know the horrors hidden in the basement...

basement.png

I fully agree.  I think the physics simulation aspects of the game is one of the real appealing aspects of the game.  I would hope that it doesn't just get transformed into machines for everything.  I like the idea that a machine can indeed clean the air for you, but utilizing the physics of the game can do it as well, in a beneficial way (in this case, without sand).

The physics method ends up less efficient on energy (most likely) and more fiddly to keep in balance with the rest of your ecosystem.  However, achieving this ends up being a solid reward of it's own.

I concur, no contaminated water distillery needed. The tools are in the game to make one for yourself. But, I tried to get this to work, I have a room with working batteries and insulated tiles, but the air temperature creeps upward EXTREMELY slowly, it's around 35 C, and the water is naturally not boiling. What's wrong with it?
--------------

12 hours ago, Targa_X said:

5] Put airlocks where CO2 builds up and have your dupes walk through them once in a while.

6] Build a small room (3x3 for example). When CO2 pools at the bottom of it, build tile over it then deconstruct the tile.

Thank you. I previously thought that maybe the fluids persisted behind the built blocks, and then is released when the blocks are removed. That would make more sense. That, and / or allow it to push the fluids away.

--------------

5 hours ago, JamesFactory said:

I found something interesting today after starting up a new game.  It seems that the things people run out of are:

Finally Water - The only way I have seen so far is the already mentioned trapping of stress vomiting colonists.

The bio reactors make contaminated water also, and hydrogen generator produces extremely small, trace amounts of clean water as it gets hydrogen.

26 minutes ago, Aru3 said:

I concur, no contaminated water distillery needed. The tools are in the game to make one for yourself. But, I tried to get this to work, I have a room with working batteries and insulated tiles, but the air temperature creeps upward EXTREMELY slowly, it's around 35 C, and the water is naturally not boiling. What's wrong with it?

I think there are issues with the temperature system in general.  Some things are definitely bugs, while others may just be the way they intend physics to work.  My box works quite well, heat-wise, however, I've seen many people have trouble with it.  So I am guessing that there are just a whole lot of factors (many of which are bugs) that are affecting heating right now.

It could be that you crafted your insulated tiles out of a material that was too cold at the time and as such it is affecting the rate at which your hot room heats up.  This is because tiles do not actually change temperature currently after being crafted (similarly some other objects don't).  However, their temperature does affect the surroundings...so it could be working against you.

1 hour ago, Ecu said:

It could be that you crafted your insulated tiles out of a material that was too cold at the time and as such it is affecting the rate at which your hot room heats up.  This is because tiles do not actually change temperature currently after being crafted (similarly some other objects don't).  However, their temperature does affect the surroundings...so it could be working against you.

Thank you, that is very good to know.

edit: I thought I'd point out that my insulated tiles are all around 27 degrees Celcius, and they stay there even as the inside heats up. I thought that, since they are insulated, they shouldn't have much effect on the temperature of the fluids inside (this is how it works in real life). I just tried making a second battery room, but it's exactly the same as the first. How do you get tiles that are warmer?

1 hour ago, The_Fez_Guy said:

This is something i made and got done on day 40 but by day 60 it was fully functional.

So for powering this your gonna need 2 hydrogen energy things this will power the entire machine. You need a lot of bio stillers in 1 room with a lot of the puffer fish looking guys this will give you infinite algae and dirty water. you will also scatter about algae plants to clean the carbon dioxide in the chambers you still need dupes to clean up the slime and collect algae. With the dirty water you pump it into a room were its cleaned and u get a lot of the cooling things going. with the clean water you turn it into hydrogen and oxygen.the oxygen will be pumped out into your main base the hydrogen will go back and power the  generators powering the entire thing. 

the only thing you have to remember is to clean up the slime and get algae for the plants and you can also pump out some clean water first to then replenish the algae plants

double check me if i'm wrong but that's recycling a bunch of stuff with the only things coming out is oxygen power and water while removing carbon dioxide and contaminated oxygen.

Sounds like a deal to me.

this is a post i made explaining how to get infinite water air and algae with no bad outcomes so no not all colonies are doomed just most are

1 hour ago, The_Fez_Guy said:

this is a post i made explaining how to get infinite water air and algae with no bad outcomes so no not all colonies are doomed just most are

The only issue with this method is that it relies on Pufts, which may not spawn in enough of a quantity to sustain a reasonable sized colony.  In addition, Pufts can die quite easily if the temperature isn't just right.  Since Pufts cannot be breed currently (unlike Morbs), I don't feel it is a really reliable idea to rely on them.

On 27/02/2017 at 5:12 AM, Stack_of_Pancakes said:

You must HATE sim games then.  There are plenty of games without a victory condition.

I don't think that's the point. Sure, sandboxes normally don't end with a victory (unless you play a campaign mode). But they usually don't end with an ultimate, inevitable doom either. They just sort of go on...that's the point of a sandbox.

Playing a game towards either a WIN or a LOSE screen defeats the purpose of a sandbox. I think Don't Starve has the best solution - you can go on in your old world forever or you can take a few valuable things and transfer to a new one. And for victory screen afficionados there's always the Adventure Mode. Perfect.

3 hours ago, cpy said:

I'm pretty sure mods will take of this. Or will add even more nasty challenges.

Modding will have to be enabled first in order to fix the balancing issues.  The fact that Klei's alphas seem to be intentionally designed with non-renewable resources makes it a little difficult to continue liking the game as it currently is.

I think I may have found the way to infinite sustainability. Find an area with Puft, seal it off with an airlock and leave some slime for contaminated oxygen and endless slime. Use the slime from Puft, and convert it to algae, filter the contaminated water, which can be used for air scrubbers. Then, that water can be purified and used over and over for other needs such as plumbing. in terms of food, just use meal lice plants and spare dirt for mush and lice bars. Energy wise, use coal generators and filter the air with scrubbers, or make a hydrolizer and create energy off the hydrogen with a generator.

Edit: You can also obtain dirt for mush bars with a compost area, and then filter that air with a purifier that scrubs toxic oxygen and a Carbon Dioxide scrubber.

Sustainability is now probably 10-20x harder as of the new update, lol.  The funny thing is that water is no longer the issue at all, and by proxy, neither is oxygen.  However, instead it is food, heat, and power.  I've posted some things here...

I have a relatively simple suggestion for a rudimentary 'endgame'.

A portal building which takes a decent amount of resources to build which then charges up with an astronomical amount of power. Once it's charged, you win that map and go on to a 'New Game Plus". So maybe the first portal takes 1 million KWH, then the second portal takes 4 million and so on. And you can always choose not to build the portal (maybe having portal buildable is a game option).

It would give people who want to 'end the game' something to aim for, without conflicting with the overall design.

2 hours ago, 3tamatulg said:

I have a relatively simple suggestion for a rudimentary 'endgame'.

A portal building which takes a decent amount of resources to build which then charges up with an astronomical amount of power. Once it's charged, you win that map and go on to a 'New Game Plus". So maybe the first portal takes 1 million KWH, then the second portal takes 4 million and so on. And you can always choose not to build the portal (maybe having portal buildable is a game option).

It would give people who want to 'end the game' something to aim for, without conflicting with the overall design.

I don't really see a point to that.  It just ends up being a completely artificial win condition that really isn't a win condition.

Archived