minespatch

What kind of race were the ancient civilization?

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bunions said:

Forumites ?

I kind of misread that as Formerians(the celtic creatures).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know who the Formerians were / are lol - partly why I like the term Forumites.... it fits that sort of an established legacy... you have Troglodytes Formerians  Forumites etc...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bunions said:

I know who the Formerians were / are lol - partly why I like the term Forumites.... it fits that sort of an established legacy... you have Troglodytes Formerians  Forumites etc...

Oh, okay man. Though now that I reread your word, I'm now imagining myself as a shadow creature.:wilson_shocked:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or an "ancient".

 

Perhaps Klei is trying to warn us about fossil fuels?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember that Maxwell said he had plugged the sinkhole. Also some of his quotes suggest that he has seen through the ancients' developments and destruction. So that makes me wonder, if the ancients were already there when Maxwell got into the DS world, then later sank to where the ruins is now, or they were underground all the time while Max created the overworld? (Maybe they were not even underground. Maybe the sinkhole isn't really a hole but a portal of magic that links the world together)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017 at 7:46 PM, CYB3RBOT_13 said:

It was this civilization that produced the Clockwork Monsters, which can be found swarming the military biome, suggesting they used them as mechanical soldiers. Maxwell found them and adapted them for his own use.

Except thematically, on every level, the Clockworks bear no logical relation to the ancients.

The ancients built nearly everything from Thulecite, and had a very particular smooth and well cut shape to their architecture. The clockworks look like modern steam-punk inventions. The exaggeration of the horse-like faces on the Knight and the Rook, the bulging eye and dome cranium of the bishop, that style of design is absolutely nothing like anything the ancients have. And the metal as well looks nothing like what the ancients use, which makes even less sense since if they were using such a powerful material as Thulecite to build cosmetic statues because they had so much of it; why would they not use it to reinforce their own military. Only damaged clockworks drop Thulecite, fragments, and they are only found in the Ruins specifically. So the fact damaged clockworks are associated with Thulecite proves nothing because its presence is not even consistent and thus it is clearly not an actual material they use.

The technology as well, is nothing like that which the ancients use. The Ruins are extremely primitive, bare bones areas. Yet the Clockworks are made of, wires and clockwork. Why would the ancients build extremely complex machines, when they had magic to defend themselves. And why would this clockwork be used nowhere else in any of their civilization. The existence of clockwork in such a primitive, mythological and old society is completely illogical.

Which suggests that the clockworks came from another source, which is suggested to be far more modern and scientific then the ancients. Especially since the clockworks are based off chess; a surface world human game. Not an ancient magical insectoid game. Meaning the clockworks were potentially used to invade the ancients, or at least the Ruins they left behind. However, because the clockworks in the Ruins are damaged, and do not fight with the nightmares, means that they likely did fight with something. Which in turns means, they probably invaded while the ancients were still there.

 

Your claim of them being "proud" and also claiming the source of the entire calamity by simply naming objects in the Ruins and saying "they caused this" is a baseless theory stated as fact. The nightmare fissures come from a deeper source, and there is still no explanation to how nightmares being real even became possible. You further claim why the Ancient Guardian exists, with absolutely no supporting evidence. Basically, your entire post is you saying what things are in a dramatic monologue that has no real logical foundation and is just you saying what you think at first glance.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017 at 3:41 PM, minespatch said:

atrium_statuefullnight.thumb.gif.a2f568catrium_statuefull.thumb.gif.ce14cf18712elatest?cb=20130827135329latest?cb=20130827134021latest?cb=20130827133807

latest?cb=20130828075554stalker_atrium_spike.gif

So these are the things we see as what the ancients were/became

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2017 at 4:27 AM, The Curator said:

Except thematically, on every level, the Clockworks bear no logical relation to the ancients.

The ancients built nearly everything from Thulecite, and had a very particular smooth and well cut shape to their architecture. The clockworks look like modern steam-punk inventions. The exaggeration of the horse-like faces on the Knight and the Rook, the bulging eye and dome cranium of the bishop, that style of design is absolutely nothing like anything the ancients have. And the metal as well looks nothing like what the ancients use, which makes even less sense since if they were using such a powerful material as Thulecite to build cosmetic statues because they had so much of it; why would they not use it to reinforce their own military. Only damaged clockworks drop Thulecite, fragments, and they are only found in the Ruins specifically. So the fact damaged clockworks are associated with Thulecite proves nothing because its presence is not even consistent and thus it is clearly not an actual material they use.

The technology as well, is nothing like that which the ancients use. The Ruins are extremely primitive, bare bones areas. Yet the Clockworks are made of, wires and clockwork. Why would the ancients build extremely complex machines, when they had magic to defend themselves. And why would this clockwork be used nowhere else in any of their civilization. The existence of clockwork in such a primitive, mythological and old society is completely illogical.

Which suggests that the clockworks came from another source, which is suggested to be far more modern and scientific then the ancients. Especially since the clockworks are based off chess; a surface world human game. Not an ancient magical insectoid game. Meaning the clockworks were potentially used to invade the ancients, or at least the Ruins they left behind. However, because the clockworks in the Ruins are damaged, and do not fight with the nightmares, means that they likely did fight with something. Which in turns means, they probably invaded while the ancients were still there.

 

Your claim of them being "proud" and also claiming the source of the entire calamity by simply naming objects in the Ruins and saying "they caused this" is a baseless theory stated as fact. The nightmare fissures come from a deeper source, and there is still no explanation to how nightmares being real even became possible. You further claim why the Ancient Guardian exists, with absolutely no supporting evidence. Basically, your entire post is you saying what things are in a dramatic monologue that has no real logical foundation and is just you saying what you think at first glance.

 

 

makes more sense

Edited by CYB3RBOT_13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 3:49 AM, Master Jand said:

latest?cb=20130828075554stalker_atrium_spike.gif

So these are the things we see as what the ancients were/became

The Fuelweaver is likely what they actually were, and the statues are either just artwork or renditions of something they saw and or worshiped. Seeing as the Fuelweaver makes explicit references to being the leader, or at least a high ranking member, of the ancients.

This is further supported by the fact that you can find fossil fragments buried all around the caves, and if you reconstruct them they form more then one different skeleton. Not just the Fuelweaver can be made, but other nameless skeletons as well. This can be interpreted to be that the ancients were scattered across the caves, possibly after the clockworks invaded or the nightmares spiraled out of control, and their remains ended up being buried in the earth. There are frequent tremors in the caves, it would not be difficult for their bodies to become submerged by falling rubble. And thus, you can find pieces of them all over; and when you rebuild their remains you can design several different models of the ancients because the remains are that of multiple beings and not just one.

The Fuelweaver, who is potentially their leader or a very powerful sorcerer among them, happens to be the only one you can resurrect. Possibly because of his power. And his consciousness after being revived specifically scales based on how close he is to the Ruins when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now