Creating/Using Translation Files [Updated August 22nd, 2017]

• Developer

Thank you so much to everyone who's expressed interest in or is already starting translations of Oxygen Not Included. We still have a lot of work to do on the translation system, including fixing UI layout issues, adding font support for missing character sets and making sure the entire game is translatable. That being said, we've decided to release an early version of the translation tools so that you can start creating proper translations and we can start fixing problems with the system.

Creating a Language Pack

1. Download and install poedit.
  2. Open the Oxygen Not Included folder by right clicking on Oxygen Not Included in Steam, going to the Local Files tab and clicking Browse Local Files.
  3. Open the strings folder which is located in "OxygenNotIncluded_Data/StreamingAssets/Strings"
  4. Open the strings_template.pot with poedit.
  5. Click create new translation.
  6. Translate the strings by clicking on them.
  7. Save the translation to "strings.po" in the same directory to test.

Once you're done translating. You can upload the translation to the Steam Workshop using the Oni Uploader. You can find the uploader in your Steam Library by switching your library to Tools and then launching the Oxygen Not Included Uploader.

*note: you will need to not translate any words inside {} or <> brackets as those are specifically used by the game.

**note: if you are creating a russian or chinese translation, you can take advantage of the language specific fonts by adding "Language: ru" or "Language: zh" to the po file.

***note: you can also choose a font directly by specifying the name of the font in the po file "Font: font_name". The list of fonts currently available are:

Chinese: NotoSansCJKsc-Regular
Japanese: NotoSansCJKjp-Regular
Korean; NotoSansCJKkr-Regular,
Russian: RobotoCondensed-Regular
Thai: NotoSansThai-Regular

Using a Language Pack

1. Launch the game.
  2. Click on "Options".
  3. Click on "Choose a Different Language"
  4. Click on "Steam Workshop"
  5. Subscribe to the Language Pack you want to use.
  6. Go back to the game and click on the Language Pack you want to use.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1

23 minutes ago, Cheerio said:

Don't translate those. They will get replaced by the game.

But does this mean there will be English words in a translated line?
If that was the case, it would create some problems, such as word order.
e.g from the Italian translation I'm working on:

(Line 59)

#. STRINGS.BUILDING.STATUSITEMS.BROKEN.TOOLTIP
msgctxt "STRINGS.BUILDING.STATUSITEMS.BROKEN.TOOLTIP"
msgid "This building was broken by a <style=\"stress\">Stressed</style> Duplicant\n\nIt must be repaired"
msgstr "Questa costruzione è stata distrutta da un Duplicante <style=\"stress\">Stressed</style> Duplicant\n\n"

Edited by AcidSeth
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AcidSeth said:

(Line 59)

No, you can edit those, the ones you can't edit are variables, like {FlowRate}, that one will be replaced with numbers, but the html code in that one is formatting

• Like 1

• Developer
3 minutes ago, AcidSeth said:

You can edit the words inside the "><", then you can get rid of the stuff after it if need be, it's what I did for mine.

Screenshot_4.png

Edited by ImDaMisterL
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AcidSeth said:

(Line 59)

You can change this: 

msgid "This building was broken by a <style=\"stress\">Stressed</style> Duplicant\n\nIt must be repaired"
msgstr "Questa costruzione è stata distrutta da un Duplicante <style=\"stress\">Stressed</style> Duplicant\n\n"

^^^^^^^^             ^^^^^^^^                  

but you cant change these:

^^^^^                               

• Developer

In the case of words surrounded by "{}", the entire word including the braces gets replaced by the game. So "Delivering resources to {Target}" gets replaced with "Delivering resources to Microbe Musher". So you shouldn't change the word "Target" because the game looks for that word and replaces it.

In the case of words surrounded by "<>" html tags such as "This Duplicant is working in a dangerously low <style=\"oxygen\">Oxygen</style> area", you should translate the word "Oxygen" but not the "<style=\"oxygen\">" because the style tells the game what font/color to use.

• Like 2

Just now, YongJung said:

О, вы тоже переводом решили заняться? Много там переводить? Не смотрела ещё.

Да, порядочно, поэтому я завела гит. Если хотите помогать переводить тоже, надо будет договориться, кто какую часть делает, чтобы не переводить 2 раза одно и тоже. Напишите мне в стиме :)

1 minute ago, O.n.y said:

Да, порядочно, поэтому я завела гит. Если хотите помогать переводить тоже, надо будет договориться, кто какую часть делает, чтобы не переводить 2 раза одно и тоже. Напишите мне в стиме :)

И как мне вас найти?)

1 hour ago, Wesselgame said:

Iam currently working on a Dutch translation, i will post it on here when im done! 8]

Iam gonna go further tommorow cuz i gotta go now 8] currently at line 577 :D

Edited by Wesselgame
lel i mistyped "gonna" xD fixed now
  • Like 1