What would you say is ANR's number one flaw?

The lack of real long term threats are probably my biggest gripe with the ANR updates. The only threats that actually try to kill you without being directly provoked are the ant lion, sometimes meteors and sometimes disease. Even then they aren't particularly deadly.

Alternate seasons were something I was looking forward to but never actually happened. Disease just feels redundant, and pets are something I haven't touched since the day they released them.

The updates gave us alot of quality of life improvements and Beefalo Domestication however so i'm still pretty happy with how it turned out.

It's not really a flaw, but I feel that some of the ANR content is difficult to appreciate or even access, especially for newer players.

Newer players probably won't be going after any of the raid bosses because of how difficult they are to take down, especially when playing in smaller groups. It's quite a shame too, seeing how well designed some of them are. (Also, half the updates include a raid boss)

Many players won't be attempting the Moon Caller event either because acquiring a Star Caller's Staff means a journey to the ruins, which isn't the easiest task, even for some of the more experienced players. (But when you finally do manage to pull off the Moon Caller event, it's all the more satisfying.)

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually go mining for fossils, and how many people actually take the time to reconstruct the marble clockwork set piece? It seems like such a hassle to go through. Also, does anyone else craft compasses? I feel so awkward trying to get others to craft compasses when they ask where I am.

I especially didn't like Against the Grain because of the Antlion. (Insert unnecessarily long summer rant here) She makes the summer experience a little more frustrating that it already is. She does allow you to craft The Lazy Deserter which is an amazing payoff, but I'm put into the mindset that that's all she's useful for. I'm still thinking that I should spend my time in the caves to avoid overheating, but now the Antlion is all like "u w0t m8, u git bac here right now, and pay me tributes or I'll rek u" and then I'll have to deal with cave ins as well. Even for a well-seasoned player get it? well-seasoned because summer is a season? I'm so funny xd summer will most likely be spent managing base to avoid wildfires, or exploring the caves.

I liked the concept of having to pay tributes to appease the Antlion, but I think it was just poorly executed because it's such a burden to deal with the Antlion, and it feels that we are not rewarded enough which makes for an overall, less enjoyable experience. (Also, tfw Antlion's sinkholes destroys your crock pots and you can't replace them in the exact same spot because there's an icebox in the way so you have to tear down all your ice boxes to place down the crock pots) I mean, Against the Grain did give us sitting emotes, so it's all good.

I'm mostly disappointed in the fact that we get lots of new bosses that are optional and only give imo 'luxury loot' rather than loot that actually is essential in terms of survival and offers game development.

Problems with Toadstool:

• For the highest hp boss in the game only to give a light source...
  • Managing the mushlights is tedious 
  • Mushroom hat spawns the spores very slowly

I'm sorry but toadstool loot is just unrewarding with the spore lights, giving back little in return and only to just look good. The maintenance of these lights are also very tedious as you have to constantly refill lightbulbs or spores.

Problems with Beequeen:

• Beehat is not that great and easily exploitable with stacking evil flowers.
  • Jellybeans are just average in terms of a healing item.

The only decent thing about the beequeen is that she offers a renewable way to obtain honeycombs.

The game gives very little incentive to actually fight any of these bosses. The original bosses on the other hand offer great development for the incoming seasons and encourages players to do more with the game. 

4 minutes ago, KoreanWaffles said:

It's not really a flaw, but I feel that some of the ANR content is difficult to appreciate or even access, especially for newer players.

Newer players probably won't be going after any of the raid bosses because of how difficult they are to take down, especially when playing in smaller groups. It's quite a shame too, seeing how well designed some of them are. (Also, half the updates include a raid boss)

Many players won't be attempting the Moon Caller event either because acquiring a Star Caller's Staff means a journey to the ruins, which isn't the easiest task, even for some of the more experienced players. (But when you finally do manage to pull off the Moon Caller event, it's all the more satisfying.)

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually go mining for fossils, and how many people actually take the time to reconstruct the marble clockwork set piece? It seems like such a hassle to go through. Also, does anyone else craft compasses? I feel so awkward trying to get others to craft compasses when they ask where I am.

I especially didn't like Against the Grain because of the Antlion. (Insert unnecessarily long summer rant here) She makes the summer experience a little more frustrating that it already is. She does allow you to craft The Lazy Deserter which is an amazing payoff, but I'm put into the mindset that that's all she's useful for. I'm still thinking that I should spend my time in the caves to avoid overheating, but now the Antlion is all like "u w0t m8, u git bac here right now, and pay me tributes or I'll rek u" and then I'll have to deal with cave ins as well. Even for a well-seasoned player get it? well-seasoned because summer is a season? I'm so funny xd summer will most likely be spent managing base to avoid wildfires, or exploring the caves.

I liked the concept of having to pay tributes to appease the Antlion, but I think it was just poorly executed because it's such a burden to deal with the Antlion, and it feels that we are not rewarded enough which makes for an overall, less enjoyable experience. (Also, tfw Antlion's sinkholes destroys your crock pots and you can't replace them in the exact same spot because there's an icebox in the way so you have to tear down all your ice boxes to place down the crock pots) I mean, Against the Grain did give us sitting emotes, so it's all good.

This.  (points upwards)  All of this.  Pretty much.

The Antlion is a nice _idea_ but the execution could use some tweaking...(insert screenshots of sinkholes killing me here) and I still feel the idea of a living being with feelings that is AUTOMATICALLY mad at you for no reason is...kinda flawed, story-wise.  Although that _did_ give me a lot of joke material...the basic structure of the volcano mechanic works way better _on an actual volcano_.

I have never, I mean, ever, gotten around to doing ANY of the marble clockwork, new shadow creatures, moon-caller stuff.  Ever.  It's just...not a priority, I normally play alone, and I run out of time for REGULAR things let alone putting in a whole extra quest.  Heck, I just recently even made a pottery wheel and some decorative base-statues for the very first time!

I do sometimes run into groups that actually WANT/use/make compasses.  Occasionally.  I've also been able to make maps so that all my random exploring can help others, and that's a neat feeling.  Some of the newer items make a camp look much more olde-worldy classy, and that's cool.  And some of the New-Reign-exclusive things became key ingredients in my "March of Civlization" challenge.

But basically...yeah.  KoreanWaffles said it.  Pretty much.  I don't HATE it, I'm not underwhelmed really, just...a lot of isn't for me.  (shrug)

...Notorious

6 minutes ago, Nanba said:

Problems with Toadstool:

• For the highest hp boss in the game only to give a light source...

It also givey you blue prints for the Funcap, not only the lamps, lets be fair and its very hard to get a scale from it, so mass building is like from very hard to almost impossible

8 minutes ago, Nanba said:

• Managing the mushlights is tedious 

Actually its not, if you put lets say fresh light bulbs into it, they dont spoil as fast as they would by lying on the ground and its a light source that doesnt give you heat or cold so in some seasons or more AFTER some seasons its not bad to have some, also i like to put one next to my bunnyman farm and when the frog rain comes i just stand there with a eyebrella and let the bunnys do the work, leaving all meat on the ground, so BBQ time!

13 minutes ago, Nanba said:
  • Mushroom hat spawns the spores very slowly

Sure, but it would be too op, if it woudnt, still I would recommend using lightbulbs, they hold a lot longer, you dont need bugnet to catch them and there are way more of them down there in caves

17 minutes ago, Nanba said:

Problems with Beequeen:

• Beehat is not that great and easily exploitable with stacking evil flowers.
  • Jellybeans are just average in terms of a healing item.

I guess you mean beequeen hat not beekeeper hat?
if so lets be fair, the community wanted the hat so much and nice looking queen isnt that easy to fight (at last not alone, i tryed it and damn this fat bees are fast sometimes) so that you would say its totally op, also since its not sew-able, I would also recommend using it more with raid bosses, that you have to fight for days and who drain your sanity to no end
And about the jellybeans, dude they are awesome, they give you constantly life for some time, so good while fight bosses, someone once said they found something it the codes about other jelly beans to, so there is a possibility, that some for hunger and sanity will come too, so lets wait

I am also very upset about the antlion, I thought she would make me thing at last a second time if I really want to go down for the summer, but after I got the blueprint for the googels (that I am now not using anymore) and for the new structure, there was no reason for me to stay uptown, since doging the rocks is very easy, I just feel like there should be more

Also I must say that I like that its not so easy to carry the heads (and nose) of the rook, knight etc to their body and so on, because its like a tusk and takes some time and therefore its also a thing for the long term players and even then, waiting to get the scatches opens a new task, of course its not easy (if not impossible) for newbies but if it was, there wasnt much to play for a longer time
now your task doesnt end when you build yourself a nice base and thats what I like, also I like disease (please dont throu rocks at me)
cause again it makes not only building your base but also holding it a little harder, cause now you dont have to only fear the danger from outside (bearger, deerclops) but also from the inside, then again its a little easy (at last for me) to look out for infektet plants, when I pick berries and cutgrass everytime, willow  tells me things like "Ugh put that back" so I know, better dig that plant up, before it get real infektet and then just plant it again, voila healthy plant

I also want another use for the succulent, someone already said it, that they look close to aloe vera so why not making a healing salve out of it
I kinda like that idea, sorry I dont know who said it again, it wasnt my idea but of this person

All in all i like the ANR updates and am totally hyped for the last one

I barely played the Antlion update, what are the new summer additions, outside of more annoying stuff like craters/sandstorm that you have to put up with?

I've heard about a new Cacti and some teleporting item, but that's it, right... ?

So, I'd say summer is still lackluster and doesn't really offer anything.

5 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Newer players probably won't be going after any of the raid bosses because of how difficult they are to take down, especially when playing in smaller groups. It's quite a shame too, seeing how well designed some of them are. (Also, half the updates include a raid boss

I don't really see how that's a problem though? Newer players don't need any of the new content yet, because everything's still new to them. They've still got magic, caves, and ruins to explore, and even that's after they're good enough to survive a year.

These responses suggest that the game is pretty well balanced. People who think fighting a really challenging boss is the main point of the game have really challenging bosses to fight and people who mostly just like to putter around can do that. Like Chaotica, I've been playing a lot and still have never done stuff like the mooncallers staff event (haven't felt the need for it because I spend summers in caves) or fought Toadstool (never been on a server with enough capable players). Klaus to me is a great compromise because two people can kill him and there's a chance of getting Bee Queen or Toadstool loot so you can try out those items even if you don't have enough players to fight those bosses. I do hope to eventually get to do everything in the game, but I can still enjoy it a lot until those opportunities come along.

This is basically how caves and ruins work in the base game: You can play for a long time and never go to either, or just go as far as the caves. The game accommodates several play styles. I don't really get the complaints about late-game challenges. The ruins and the raid bosses are the late-game challenges. Yes, eventually you will do everything that's possible in DST, but from noob to solo-ing Toadstool is a long journey, and nothing lasts forever. Games are not infinite, and while it's a bummer to think you're getting to the end of a really great game like DS, it's also inevitable. You can set yourself challenges to keep it interesting and try mods. Maybe there will be more DLCs in the future, but the game is already pretty well packed with stuff.

I'd have to say my biggest disappointment is not with DST but with ONI, because from watching people stream it just seems boring and claustrophobic. I hope someday Klei makes another game full of exploration and adventure like DST.

Biggest flaw for me is the Antlion. I'm not a fan of babysitting a giant while I am caving, that's all. I'm pretty happy with all the rest, I think the ideas are well executed for the most part, it just seems like they ran out when it came to releasing Antlion.

There is a bunch actually: Digging ice don't make it disappear, Ice still usable in cooking recipes other than ice cream and melonsicle (makes winter very easy), giants drops aren't that necessary and after killing all raid bosses once I don't even feel need to fight them again, changing disease mechanic to cater to people whom like making bases, added mostly decor stuff, winter is still the best season even with freezing, adding one gimmic to summer so people won't seat in bases whole season, insulated pack is garbage after adding bundling wrap, no actuall challange unless you gimp yourself or use mods, all seasons are boring and predictable, no dynamic seasons lenghts or dynamic presents changes, no progress (look at terraria and you will know what I mean). I guess I missed something but those are the big ones. 

2 minutes ago, Erec said:

no actuall challange unless you gimp yourself or use mods, all seasons are boring and predictable, no dynamic seasons lenghts

Aha, this is why I love to randomise the seasons lengths now!  :) Although, it's kind of disappointing that they're only random each time they first happen (or don't), and for every year after that, the new values are _set_ at those, permanently, for the rest of that world's entire run.  I'd like it better if it was like "Summer is only 5 days one year, 30 the next", but it's still SOMEthing.  (Better than the singleplayer version, which is MADE of jank.)

I also never, ever use the Season Clock or related mods (and get kind of annoyed when people just automatically blab what's coming up--dude, SPOILERS!)  It's way more fun to figure it out on my own!  Ya want a calendar?  Fine--just plant birch trees near camp and watch what they do.  Much more lore-appropriate.  Also look for the lighting changing subtly, or signs like your character shivering at night or wiping their brow when near a fire.

Also I have been making up challenges for fun. At the moment I'm doing the EPICALLY long "March of Civlization" challenge.  There's also the No Science Machine aka the "We Don't Need No Education" one, which the Civ one starts off close to, but then wildly diverges.  They may not be the most epically hard challenges ever...but I find them interesting.

But, I'm not bored yet with the game as a whole and still find it enjoyable.  For one, I STILL have done hardly _any_thing with the caves!  :D

...Notorious

3 hours ago, Erec said:

There is a bunch actually: Digging ice don't make it disappear, Ice still usable in cooking recipes other than ice cream and melonsicle (makes winter very easy), giants drops aren't that necessary and after killing all raid bosses once I don't even feel need to fight them again, changing disease mechanic to cater to people whom like making bases, added mostly decor stuff, winter is still the best season even with freezing, adding one gimmic to summer so people won't seat in bases whole season, insulated pack is garbage after adding bundling wrap, no actuall challange unless you gimp yourself or use mods, all seasons are boring and predictable, no dynamic seasons lenghts or dynamic presents changes, no progress (look at terraria and you will know what I mean). I guess I missed something but those are the big ones. 

I feel like most of your points are about either things that already existed before ANR, like ice problem, or things not added when you could want to, but not promised by ANR (yeah, maybe TTA promised it, but it's not TTA)

Yeah, i would like a progress and differents seasons and balance about some useless items like icepack or too powerful recipe ingredient like ice. But it's not related to ANR, it's related to what the game lacks or could have.

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Also I have been making up challenges for fun. At the moment I'm doing the EPICALLY long "March of Civlization" challenge.  There's also the No Science Machine aka the "We Don't Need No Education" one, which the Civ one starts off close to, but then wildly diverges.  They may not be the most epically hard challenges ever...but I find them interesting.

What is this "March of Civilization" challenge of which you speak? :D  I've been wanting some kind of goal to get me back into the game, and this sounds rather nice intriguing . . . 

Hahaha!  It's still a work in progress; I'm in the process of playtesting it and have been tweaking it along the way.  (Also, I flat out messed up and made some things early by accident.  Whoops.)  But the basic idea is to parcel out what you're allowed to make/do/use when by (kinda sorta) real-life historical order, rather than the game's crafting-tiers order.

You start off as a hunter gatherer, for a full year--only allowed to make basic stuff, living mostly nomadically.  Then we have basic settlements, then the first "civlizations", in which things like metalworking and stone walls come in, then medieval times with optional "Mongol Hordes" (Deerclops!) and "Plague" events (...don't dig up your diseased plants?), then an Age of Exploration involving cartographer's desks and maps, and last but not least the era leading into/at Don't Starve's own time period.  Then, if you WANT, you can go farther...I don't really have any rules for that made up yet.  ("The Electricity Mod" might be a good place to start.) 

I haven't yet decided how long the other stages should be each, but the hunter-gatherer one does need to be a whole (normal-length) year, to get the feeling across. Also, the magical stuff kind of comes in whenever it's needed, as it doesn't really make sense anyway (but is mostly optional)...and some of the things I meant to introduce at their proper times (ish) ended up having to be moved WAY earlier, as the game's mechanics kind of demand them.  Lightning rods and endothermic fires especially, and I MAY move the fling-o-matic back to the Classical Era.  I've been staying away from camp during summer for YEARS now and well...ancient Rome _did_ have indoor plumbing and a (kind of) fire-fighting service...

If you want to see the actual rules (as they stand now--bear in mind, this is still kind of in "beta") I can send them to you in a PM...or put them in a spoiler here (on the forums in general, I mean) if other people are interested, whatever. The server I'm playing it on is actually called "The March of Civilization" and currently I'm up to The Classical Era.  That means I've now got marble statues and a sign outside the gates saying "Welcome to the Great and Glorious City-State of Starvania!"

...never said I was good at NAMES.  : P

...Notorious

Archived