Always go with your instinct against a potential griefer

A Cautionary Tale of going with you gut/intuition.

I have always been intuitive to a certain extent.  I can generally feel the atmosphere or energy of a situation and feel off.  I generally try to ignore it because I don't like to judge a book by its cover so to speak.  Rant aside, I knew something was wrong with the Willow that came in.  

Story Time

I decided to join a server instead of hosting one.  I like working with different people and playing with them, even if I'm not the most talkative person.  Besides, it gets old really fast when I only play with my brother.  Anyway, I join a server and everything seems cool.  There is even a Willow on the server that's not burning stuff down (not all Willows are griefers).  I start building a base by the portal because I generally like to prepare tools for potential people coming in.  It was early on so I was only able to build: a science machine, alchemy machine, firepit, and treasure chest filled with several pickaxes and torches. 

A couple of days pass and I'm gathering tools for a crockpot or two in order to put my mushrooms and rabbit trap to use.  Unfortunately, another Willow entered, and she fit the stereotype of a griefer in this tale.  I didn't know it at the time, so I told her to get a pickax and torch from the chest to start off.  She did a swoon emote and something shifted in me and gave me a bad feeling; her actions rang false to me.  I decided to brush it aside as her being dramatic.  Then she did it again and I got a bad feeling once again because she was being way too dramatic to a person giving her a simple pickax and torch.  Most people would simply type or say, "Thx" and move on.  I didn't dwell on it because I needed to make a crockpot, so I went to collect and mine rocks.  

After I collect enough rocks for two crockpots, I come back to the stuff being set on fire.  The hosts of the server kick her out shortly after.  Though I did learn a lesson.  Always trust your gut feeling, and I need to do that more in real life.  I don't know why I don't learn my lesson because I'm generally right.

TL;DR

If something feels wrong, then it probably is.  Always go with your gut feeling and kick them out.  If another person is hosting the game, then keep a watchful eye on them until they go away.

Archived