Hydrolizer+hydrogen generator guide

Welcome!

I see a lot of people struggling whit this o2 production method(which is the most effective way to produce o2 currently in the game) Let's jump in then. 4 things you need to about hydrogen handling.

1. Gas behaviour: Its the lightest gas. So it will rise to the top of your base. If you wanna build an electrolyzer base, you will need a well designed base like mine. You will need tiles that let trough gas,etc.(just check out the 3rd screenshot)

2. Base width: I know. It sounds stupid, but it is completely logical. Gas pumps are not bugged. They are working as intended. the only reason why they switch on and off, is the hydrogen concentration. The hydrolizer only produces a few grams of hydrogen. But the hydrogen is a really aggressive gas, so it will spread and rise very quickly. But back to the pumps. The pump has a very little "suck in" radius. Its just eating the hydrogen really fast, and it cannot sip vacum up:) that is why its just switches on and off all the time. So what is the solution? more pumps. The wider the top of your base is, the more pumps you will need.(you need to place the pumps horizontally of course)

3. Electroyzer and hydrogen gen+pump combo placement: You HAVE to put the hydrogen gen+ its pumps to the top of your base. Because as i mentioned earlier, hydrogen rises. But you will need to put the electrolyzers AT LEAST midrange from the generator(2nd screenshot). So the hydrogen will have time to spread to the top of your base before the oxigen. If you **** up the distances, the pumps will suck in o2 instead of hydrogen.

4 Gas filters: Use gas filters.(this works best if you did the distance thing i mentioned earlier. Almost no o2 will be sucked up by the gen. and i believe it emits the unselected gases. in this case, o2.) It will increase the effectiveness of the hydrogen generator a lot.

And here is a couple of screenshots from my base!

Screenshot ink help:

White: pumps

red: elecrtolyzers

orange: gasfilter+hydrogen generator

On the last pic im showing the the gas management of the system(as you see i only use gas letting trough tiles.)

Well hopefully this helps!

Névtelen.png

Névtelen_Ink_LI.jpg

ad.png

Electrolyzers, Gas Outlets and any gas emiting building stops working because it can't work when the gas pressure is too high.
To lower the gas pressure build air scrubbers which get rid of CO2 for the price of contaminated water.

It may take a while but the pressure equalizes throughout the base. Actually way slower than a physician expects.
If the layout of your base is open enough so the CO2 ends up at the bottom of the base in a reasonable amount of time the electrolizer(s) work with small or no downtime.

28 minutes ago, kambing said:

The problem with electrolyzers is that it constantly stops working due to "max pressure", even though there is insufficient oxygen generation. Gases just don't diffuse fast enough for these things to work well.

Dedicated o2 pump right above electrolyzers help with maintaining pressure below stopping numbers. Only problem is power - pump too hungry for it. Must be 40-60 per pump, not 240...

57 minutes ago, kambing said:

The problem with electrolyzers is that it constantly stops working due to "max pressure", even though there is insufficient oxygen generation. Gases just don't diffuse fast enough for these things to work well.

If you decrease room temperature you will be able to have more grams of gas at the same pressure, so instead of ~1700 at ~30 degrees you could pump in ~3000 at 15 or 20

tho perhaps that was a bug I encountered in my last game

but I've also never had a cool base before

On 2/21/2017 at 5:27 PM, assasin339789 said:

2. Base width: I know. It sounds stupid, but it is completely logical. Gas pumps are not bugged. They are working as intended.

the game is in alpha, why do you pretend to know this. output of more than one gas from each pump is of course still not yet working, you can see them accumulating all these gasses without ever coming out. and this makes filters near useless atm, why waste the energy when each pump will only move one type of gas

On 2/21/2017 at 6:05 PM, kambing said:

yea their simulation is way too "fudgy" right now for anything to work the way it implies. and pumps can't handle more than one element, so it's futile to theory craft any kind of efficient mechansim, for now we can only rely on density to move gasses around. I found it pretty effective to seal these generator plants off and create small pockets above to draw from, basically the opposite of everything in this "guide". the worse problem right now is that you can't chill or pump o2 anywhere without wasting precious fuel, as any mixed hydrogen will get trapped in these pumps forever

On 2/22/2017 at 7:05 AM, kambing said:

for the max air pressure problems, my solution is make a ventilation system and regulate the air so all air is constantly flowing from one side to side, when same air stay in same position for too long, its pressure will start to stacks. (for those electrolyzers, i made a gas pump almost on each floor to make the air flow, taking specific airs to specific places, like i can regulate chlorine our to a separate chamber, carbon dioxide to bottom's algae farm, oxygen to living area, and hydrogen to power. with this method you wont be having air or suffocating issue.

p.s this setup consumes TONS of energy and water, yes, your duplicants will be healthy, but you need to constantly expand to find more resources(places i have expanded is almost at least 3 more size of this picture, one of is is a huge contaminated water collector), hardest one is water. you need to balance out the use of algae and electrolyzers

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

On 2/21/2017 at 5:27 PM, assasin339789 said:

1. Gas behaviour: Its the lightest gas. So it will rise to the top of your base. If you wanna build an electrolyzer base, you will need a well designed base like mine. You will need tiles that let trough gas,etc.(just check out the 3rd screenshot)

2. Base width: I know. It sounds stupid, but it is completely logical. Gas pumps are not bugged. They are working as intended. the only reason why they switch on and off, is the hydrogen concentration. The hydrolizer only produces a few grams of hydrogen. But the hydrogen is a really aggressive gas, so it will spread and rise very quickly. But back to the pumps. The pump has a very little "suck in" radius. Its just eating the hydrogen really fast, and it cannot sip vacum up:) that is why its just switches on and off all the time. So what is the solution? more pumps. The wider the top of your base is, the more pumps you will need.(you need to place the pumps horizontally of course)

There's also a third option. Make a vaulted ceiling, with an arch that reaches two-wide at the top so you can fit your pump in.

This way hydrogen naturally collects at the top of your base without you needing to use several pumps to focus it. Also make sure to use vent floors to allow hydrogen to escape ceilings so it can continue to rise to the top.

7 hours ago, Risu said:

Rather amazed you made it to cycle 147 without ever dismissing a notification.

I've seen people doing all sorts of impressive stuff.  Getting to cycle 600+, 1 duplicant only runs, etc.  But I think this is the most impressive of all.  It's the only thing I don't think I would have been able to accomplish.  Even if I was trying I'm sure in an absent moment I'd dismiss them out of habit.  Bravo Megtrix11

I think this is a more efficient way to setup your electrolyzers and pump gas: build a very small room with 2 electrolyzers and a pump gas locked with a airlock door a gas permeable tile on the bottom and a gas filter connected to a hydrogen generator outside and lead the oxygen to your rooms/working area. To reduce even more the gas pressure build another gas pump outside, I connect that to a Gas Filter and a Thermo Regulator, to send some cool air to my work stations and Plant Boxes.

Since the room is so tiny, eventually some Hydrogen will escape, but as you can see I build a double airlock door with a double ladder trap to not let a single molecule of Hydrogen or Contaminated Oxygen leave my maintenance room.

oxygen setup1.png

oxygen setup2.png

1 minute ago, Vilda said:

Until next the hotfix you might rather want to build a wall.

I used to do that but sometimes you just need to build some pipes or wires inside, and sometimes dupes are stupid and build the wall when they are inside.

11 hours ago, Stack_of_Pancakes said:

I've seen people doing all sorts of impressive stuff.  Getting to cycle 600+, 1 duplicant only runs, etc.  But I think this is the most impressive of all.  It's the only thing I don't think I would have been able to accomplish.  Even if I was trying I'm sure in an absent moment I'd dismiss them out of habit.  Bravo Megtrix11

18 hours ago, Risu said:

Rather amazed you made it to cycle 147 without ever dismissing a notification.

xDDD i was too focus on keeping them alive, im not good, so my stuffs keeps running out.

Archived