Steam Power

Actually I found something even better than batteries. It turns out stuff you build stays at the temperature the construction material was at when it was built(hence the 6.9 degree tiles beneath the portal, and the plenty of temp differences in your structures), but will still transmit that heat/cold to the surrounding air.

So if you were to find a way to make a material really really hot, like dumping a load of obsidian into lava and waiting for it to heat up, you'd be able to make a hotplate from hell by making tiles out of it. Though I am not sure whether it would be better to use something like obsidian(which can handle much higher temperatures) or something like copper(which has a much higher thermal conductivity) for the hot side.

For the cold side things are much more simple, pre-cooled granite(high thermal conductivity stone) for the gas containment/condensation tiles and pre-cooled copper(highest thermal conductivity metal) for the gas permeable tiles. How you decide to cool it down is up to you(perhaps cooling some gas with a thermo regulator and putting that with our materials in an highly isolated room), but I'd suggest trying to get as close to 0 degrees Celsius as possible without going below it.

3 minutes ago, kambing said:

Thats a great observation. However tiles do cool down and heat up over time, but batteries will never be anything other than 126.9C. In fact, the enclosed oxygen in my battery room has gone up to 500C at one point.

Are we talking about naturally occurring tiles, or constructed tiles? Because I'm fairly certain constructed tiles stick to their temperature, natural tiles however don't.

4 minutes ago, terrachronos said:

Are we talking about naturally occurring tiles, or constructed tiles? Because I'm fairly certain constructed tiles stick to their temperature, natural tiles however don't.

oh good to know!

It would a bit tricky to swing but I have a base near abysslite atm. If I could build the insulated room like you have demonstrated to create the steam I think a condensation room above this - connected by gas permeable tiles could work if the ceiling of the condensation room was made out of natural abysslite tiles. You then have a man mad distillery for contaminated water. AKA - no sand necessary!

yeah it is very slow. also I don't think you need abyssalite in particular, just anything that is cooler than 100C. Also the water is contaminated by the debris lying on the ground I think. I'll try to prototype a few using the debug mode.

7 hours ago, kambing said:

yeah it is very slow. also I don't think you need abyssalite in particular, just anything that is cooler than 100C. Also the water is contaminated by the debris lying on the ground I think. I'll try to prototype a few using the debug mode.

This one happened to be right next door with water under it so it seemed like a right spot for experiment :)

Not sure if the clutter should cause that, it is all abyssalite and normal water is fine with thing laying in it. I put some filters there and will see in time.

Edit: hmm, you actually can not put abyssalite  in storage. I ll have carefully deconstruct underneath.

The abyssalite ceiling isn't a good idea because it doesn't transfer heat at all.

Cooling the room above it and using conductive ceiling would however work well with moving the energy contained in the steam upwards.

It's also possible to make ice and use that for cooling.

I did some steam experiments in the magma area, and it seems like the precipitation occurs mostly when it is in contact with colder air, not the walls or ceilings, so cooling with air conditioner would work just fine in theory. My main problem has been creating enough steam in the first place to actually make it worthwhile. Heat transfer just doesn't work very well in this game yet.

I fiddled a ton with magma and a steam room last night. It seems that with space around a hydrogen generator you can create a ton of steam quickly. I had two generators side by side but with no space for steam creation nothing happened. As soon as I removed the second this happened.

The room I have now is a train wreck after hours of experimenting. I think I can get a clean set up tonight and share a man made distillery that actually quickly produces alot of steam.

457140_screenshots_20170220234826_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, Elviraa said:

I fiddled a ton with magma and a steam room last night. It seems that with space around a hydrogen generator you can create a ton of steam quickly. I had two generators side by side but with no space for steam creation nothing happened. As soon as I removed the second this happened.

The room I have now is a train wreck after hours of experimenting. I think I can get a clean set up tonight and share a man made distillery that actually quickly produces alot of steam.

457140_screenshots_20170220234826_1.jpg

Great job! Gonna try it myself :p Thank you!

3 hours ago, terrachronos said:

The hydrogen generator probably works because it actively emits heat(and quite a lot too), so I'm going to make the wild guess that the thermo regulator is going to function as well.

Yeah I think your right. The trick seems to find a crazy hot source for heat with a decent amount of space. A thermo regulator would probably work really well.

51 minutes ago, Elviraa said:

Yeah I think your right. The trick seems to find a crazy hot source for heat with a decent amount of space. A thermo regulator would probably work really well.

Well probably not as good as the hydrogen generator, but the thermo regulator works as long as there is a coolable gas fed into it, which should be much more stable than the hydrogen supply.

1 hour ago, Elviraa said:

Note, however, that by having genuinely crazy heatsorce - say magma, and then dripping water on top will create steam at 300-400C. Not ideal.

Trick is to just boil water to steam and then quickly cool it down - even with thremoregulator if need be. I once had a quite nice sauna for base - just poured water directly to magma at the bottom, and steam went all the way up, loosing very little temprature. So in the end it still had 150-200C and heated my base like a nice cosy sauna.

Archived