A poll or Vote For ONI on Discord

ONI on Discord?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a Discord for ONI once it is released and popualr enough?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't really care either way...

1 minute ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Regarding the topic of modding the game, there is no official way to do it yet, but @Moonkis is releasing some pretty sweet tools!

What about the topic for discord? I wouldn't mind volunteering to run a discord server or be a MOD for the server unless, Klei wants to run it themselves or someone on their team, or any of the MODs on this forum :)  I was reading about the debug tool :)

• Developer
1 minute ago, jjcm04 said:

What about the topic for discord? I wouldn't mind volunteering to run a discord server or be a MOD for the server unless, Klei wants to run it themselves or someone on their team, or any of the MODs on this forum :)  I was reading about the debug tool :)

There's a Hot Lava Discord but the Klei devs there mostly leave moderation for the owner of the server and the mods there. I wouldn't mind helping out with it, though I got my fair share of Discord servers already. Still, I like the idea!

10 minutes ago, jjcm04 said:

When this game gets into release and becomes more popular as possibly the ability to mod the game. Should we have a discord for ONI? I think we should I mean why not, or is there one already? Can we already mod the game? I haven't looked into the files just yet.

As far as I know, there isn't any official modding-API that actually works. There is a remnants of a legacy modding-system in place, but I don't think it's actually used/works but I haven't tested it so I can't confirm it. From what I gathered it leverages the fact that C# can load and execute assemblies at run-time, so you would have to code and compile a DLL-file with some required functions (like Update, Load, Init and so on). But as I said, I think it's unused so you wouldn't have any official way of loading it into the game anyways (it's called legacy for a reason I guess).

The only way to mod the game currently (it's possible!) is by injecting custom code into the assembly, which is more than doable, however you can't redistribute the modded assembly, and thus have to patch in code instead on the user-side, which means you have to inject IL-code directly instead of adding C#-code that then gets translated into IL. This a lot harder, and more error prone, but more than doable.

A few problems with this is of course that every-time the game updates, the assembly gets replaced and you have to re-patch it. However since we are patching the files by injecting code, it becomes less likely that the mods will break (though it will happen at times, especially if there are large changes).

Hope that answered your questions!

1 minute ago, Moonkis said:

As far as I know, there isn't any official modding-API that actually works. There is a remnants of a legacy modding-system in place, but I don't think it's actually used/works but I haven't tested it so I can't confirm it. From what I gathered it leverages the fact that C# can load and execute assemblies at run-time, so you would have to code and compile a DLL-file with some required functions (like Update, Load, Init and so on). But as I said, I think it's unused so you wouldn't have any official way of loading it into the game anyways (it's called legacy for a reason I guess).

The only way to mod the game currently (it's possible!) is by injecting custom code into the assembly, which is more than doable, however you can't redistribute the modded assembly, and thus have to patch in code instead on the user-side, which means you have to inject IL-code directly instead of adding C#-code that then gets translated into IL. This a lot harder, and more error prone, but more than doable.

A few problems with this is of course that every-time the game updates, the assembly gets replaced and you have to re-patch it. However since we are patching the files by injecting code, it becomes less likely that the mods will break (though it will happen at times, especially if there are large changes).

Hope that answered your questions!

This is how RimWorld does it since they also use Unity and C#, but they also you XML and editing the .DLL files to mod the game. And yes that has answered my question at least for modding ONI.

Just now, jjcm04 said:

This is how RimWorld does it since they also use Unity and C#, but they also you XML and editing the .DLL files to mod the game. And yes that has answered my question at least for modding ONI.

Yeah, it's basically how you do it with games made in Unity, if I remember correctly 7 Days to Die does this as well.

1 minute ago, jjcm04 said:

Which .DLL file is the one containing the code for ONI is the the Assembly-csharp (don't think so) since that contains the C# API I think.

I believe for all Unity games, Assembly-CSharp contains the majority of game-related code.

• Developer
2 hours ago, jjcm04 said:

I hope this will get the attention of the Devs so I can get their feedback on this for an official ONI discord :)

Well I mean, the Hot Lava Discord was made and the devs joined, but it still isn't official. I'm also not a fan of making "official" Discord servers for singleplayer games because it discourages others to make their own for their friends of it, though that might be just me.

Want my two cents? Just make one, official or not. If the devs join, cool cool! If they don't, well, sucks for them B)

3 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Well I mean, the Hot Lava Discord was made and the devs joined, but it still isn't official. I'm also not a fan of making "official" Discord servers for singleplayer games because it discourages others to make their own for their friends of it, though that might be just me.

Want my two cents? Just make one, official or not. If the devs join, cool cool! I they don't, well, sucks for them B)

I think I will since RimWorld has a good discord and is a single player game

I am setting one up now. If you want to be a part of it cool let me know. I will learn how to set up bots as well for leveling and the such

14 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Want my two cents? Just make one, official or not. If the devs join, cool cool! I they don't, well, sucks for them B)

• Developer
6 minutes ago, jjcm04 said:

I am setting one up now. If you want to be a part of it cool let me know. I will learn how to set up bots as well for leveling and the such

Of course! Send me the invite link, gonna head to bed soon, but I'll check it all out tomorrow :)

Archived