Solidifying gases

If anyone (like me) is interested, whether you can do something with all this CO2 - you can. Just out of curiosity I tried to cool down CO2 using a set of connected thermal regulators - and it worked! A little chunks of solidified CO2 where dropping out of the vent. I accumulated 25.000kg of it before turning cooling line off (it ate through energy like an AMD processor)

Now, thing is - I can't do anything with these chunks. I can't put them to any storage, nor I can manually move them anywhere. And I don't know the temperature point when they will evaporate.

Just wanted to post it, in case anyone wondered. 

21 minutes ago, DNsingbanana said:

What actually poses question is : if we ever use this to liquify gases, will we get a way to then transfer it to a liquid pump to, for exemple, store it in a water reservoir(once it's added). Other than having to let it fall down and pump it with a liquid pump i mean.  

I see no problem with this process. Apart from the fact you can't turn gas into liquid directly.

Edit: Well, I stand corrected. After I reloaded my game somehow I ended up with a small drop of liquid CO2. Which had freezing point of  -56.15C and evaporation point of -48.15C. Which is a dam small window of possibility here, but still, if we would have a fully controllable temperature regulation device - yeah, why not - let's have a pool of CO2 to drown our dupes in.. I mean, our enemies.

1 hour ago, ShaTiK said:

If anyone (like me) is interested, whether you can do something with all this CO2 - you can. Just out of curiosity I tried to cool down CO2 using a set of connected thermal regulators - and it worked! A little chunks of solidified CO2 where dropping out of the vent. I accumulated 25.000kg of it before turning cooling line off (it ate through energy like an AMD processor)

Now, thing is - I can't do anything with these chunks. I can't put them to any storage, nor I can manually move them anywhere. And I don't know the temperature point when they will evaporate.

Just wanted to post it, in case anyone wondered. 

Is there away to move them outside of your base?

Just now, Spider2430 said:

Is there away to move them outside of your base?

Nope. Apart from making a special room for storing solidified CO2 and then just placing the exit vent there. Containers apparently do not have "solid CO2" as eligible item for intake. Nor they have "bottled hydrogen" AFAIK.

4 hours ago, ShaTiK said:

Nope. Apart from making a special room for storing solidified CO2 and then just placing the exit vent there. Containers apparently do not have "solid CO2" as eligible item for intake. Nor they have "bottled hydrogen" AFAIK.

Not "special" for abyssalite but that's another subject. 

Thought the heating option are a bit less disponible right now, what i would really like to see is a liquid-based transporter : stock a lot of for exemple iron in a storage, destroy the storage so you have a big chunk of solid. Heat said solid to liquid state, pump it, transport it via pipes where you want, cool it to solid at the arrival and voila ! How to transport solids from long distances. 

5 hours ago, cptCalavera said:

Nice discovery :) does this mean we can also make ice? Oo

You can most definitely make solid ice :D even crushed (and dirty).
Other solid things you can make (apparently):

• Carbondioxide
  • Hydrogen
  • Mercury
  • Oxygen (as you just discovered! Nice find by the way!)
  • Propane

1 hour ago, Moonkis said:

• Carbondioxide
  • Hydrogen
  • Mercury
  • Propane

There is such thing as "iceore" in the files :) I am curious if we just find this or create this since it isn't that hard to freeze water (make sure it is below 0 Celsius = 32 Fahrenheit or 273.15 Kelvin ) 

9 hours ago, Moonkis said:

• Carbondioxide
  • Hydrogen
  • Mercury
  • Propane

If you fiddle with debug mode you will find out that, for the most part, substance conversion works just fine. You can toss stuff around - gas - liquid - solid. Liquid iron? - okay. Gaseous magma - why not? Solid oxygen? - fine.

Only problem is - as it is in reality - making any normal solid (like stone) to gas take a s**tton of temperature. And there is no point in doing so (so far).

Converting gases to liquids is much easier for the most part, since they are limited by absolute zero, but still some of them require a really long set of thermal regulators. And they require a LOT of energy to run. Still - solidifying chlorine gas is only way to deal with this gas right now (since solids take almost no space).

9 hours ago, DNsingbanana said:

Not "special" for abyssalite but that's another subject. 

I tried to make a cooling pipe for oxygen by laying a long line of pipes through a big chunk of abyssalite. And as far as I can tell this mineral have 0 heat transfer. It can be melted, but it cannot cool down stuff around it. I experimented with water too - no effect on water temperature 

1 minute ago, ShaTiK said:

I tried to make a cooling pipe for oxygen by laying a long line of pipes through a big chunk of abyssalite. And as far as I can tell this mineral have 0 heat transfer. It can be melted, but it cannot cool down stuff around it. I experimented with water too - no effect on water temperature 

If you go to details it actually says it got 0 heat transfer. "It can be melted" have you managed to heat it above absolute zero? 

5 minutes ago, DNsingbanana said:

If you go to details it actually says it got 0 heat transfer. "It can be melted" have you managed to heat it above absolute zero? 

Okay, I stand corrected - you can't do a thing with abyssalite in regards of temperature. I supposed that since it have "melting point" and "specific heat capacity", it can be melted. But heat conductivity=0, so nope, none can be done with this mineral. Nice thermal isolator, if we could use it as a tile material 

1 hour ago, ShaTiK said:

Okay, I stand corrected - you can't do a thing with abyssalite in regards of temperature. I supposed that since it have "melting point" and "specific heat capacity", it can be melted. But heat conductivity=0, so nope, none can be done with this mineral. Nice thermal isolator, if we could use it as a tile material 

If we could use it for a tile and preferably for some more stuff, I'd use it to make a thermally closed water purification and cooling center. Pour contaminated water into the heated chamber, let it evaporate, suck that steam up with a pump and cool it down with the thermo controller to something like 12 Celsius, then have it dumped into the clean water storage. Cools the base, and cleans contaminated water without needing finite sand.

Archived