Surviving Off of Oxygen from Outhouses

I reached a point with my colony where I felt I wanted to start over. I had learned new things and saw things were going downhill fast. So I set my world at max speed to let it die. Power ran out and with it, all of my oxygen production aside from about 3 Algae was gone. I expected my dupes to die quickly.

Surprisingly they survived another 12 cycles! All 13 of them huddled in the bathroom next to outhouses and compost pile. By staying there and making runs to harvest food, they were able to last. In fact they only died when the temperature got too high and the plants stopped producing food. So there was no oxygen production for 12 cycles and starvation was what got them.

This seems more than a little weird. It's not like it could be a realistic strategy to use, but it certainly makes it seem like oxygen running out isn't a problem in a game called "Oxygen Not Included." Perhaps contaminated dirt shouldn't produce contaminated oxygen but should instead contaminate existing air?

Side note: I din't see any of my dupes get sick in those 12 cycles of breathing contaminated oxygen either.

4 hours ago, Deltin said:

When I first saw "Very Toxic" air I thought that it would be like, extremely dangerous for dupes to breath in. It... doesn't do much. Rarely I will see a dupe get sick.

Mine ended up breathing various levels of toxic as I played as well. Seems like the chance for sickness is tiny since in my entire 42 cycle run (with a lot of toxic air in there) I never once saw one get sick. Maybe disease is highly contagious and can be a serious threat, so they gave it low odds? I'm not really sure since I didn't see it.

14 hours ago, Ventus976 said:

but it certainly makes it seem like oxygen running out isn't a problem in a game called "Oxygen Not Included."

To be fair, food running out is also the least of our problems in Don't Starve. :D I haven't seen Hot Lava. Maybe the lava is also the least of your worries there...

Kidding aside, maybe they haven't got around to balancing the consequences of contaminated air yet.

Slime and contaminated water also creates contaminated oxygen out of nowhere, which kind of pisses me off since, as a science-y game, I feel that breaking the Law of Conservation of Mass is quite undesirable.

Energy on the other hand... I'm Ok breaking some thermodynamics rules for gameplay purposes, for instance:
Let's say we turn 1 Kg of water in a electrolyser into ~800 g of oxygen and ~200g of hydrogen consuming 120 Watts. Now burning the same quantity of hydrogen, consuming the same amount of oxygen in a generator we should get back 1 Kg of water generating 150 Watts.

Just an example, it doesn't need to be that specific, but the idea that with the correct process you get back what you originally had.

5 hours ago, applebottom said:

To be fair, food running out is also the least of our problems in Don't Starve. :D I haven't seen Hot Lava. Maybe the lava is also the least of your worries there...

Kidding aside, maybe they haven't got around to balancing the consequences of contaminated air yet.

When it comes to food in Don't Starve, I heard it put best by a member of Klei. "You're not likely to starve, but your hunger will push you to do things that get you killed."

1 hour ago, Ventus976 said:

When it comes to food in Don't Starve, I heard it put best by a member of Klei. "You're not likely to starve, but your hunger will push you to do things that get you killed."

Indeed, I ate a ton of monster meat and went after pigs and beefalo for meat

22 hours ago, Ventus976 said:

All 13 of them huddled in the bathroom next to outhouses and compost pile. By staying there and making runs to harvest food, they were able to last. In fact they only died when the temperature got too high and the plants stopped producing food. So there was no oxygen production for 12 cycles and starvation was what got them.

You monster.

Disease doesn't seem to be much of a problem on the current version at all, however, by the end of one of my colonies, dupes stressed, they started to get diarrhea out of what I think were the food. I had like 4 dupes with diarrhea.

My point is that maybe they're more propense to get sick on high stress?

4 hours ago, Octyabr said:

Slime and contaminated water also creates contaminated oxygen out of nowhere, which kind of pisses me off since, as a science-y game, I feel that breaking the Law of Conservation of Mass is quite undesirable.

Energy on the other hand... I'm Ok breaking some thermodynamics rules for gameplay purposes, for instance:
Let's say we turn 1 Kg of water in a electrolyser into ~800 g of oxygen and ~200g of hydrogen consuming 120 Watts. Now burning the same quantity of hydrogen, consuming the same amount of oxygen in a generator we should get back 1 Kg of water generating 150 Watts.

Just an example, it doesn't need to be that specific, but the idea that with the correct process you get back what you originally had.

Well let's be honest there's a lot of breakage of the laws of nature in the game. The algae colony uses algae and water to create oxygen from carbondioxide. Anyone could probably tell you that it should use water and carbondioxide to create more algae and oxygen. Then there's the problems with the conservation of mass literally everywhere, water being the most notable of them(unless of course you are telling me that liceloaf contains 50 kg of water, which would lead to instant water poisoning if ingested).

So what you're saying is... I can make a room filled with containers for slime and contaminated dirt, stick some air deodorizers in there, and have clean air forever?

Also, yeah. One of my Dupes got some disease called 'Spores' or something, and not a da** thing happened. They just had vampire sparkles (the little Dandelion seeds) coming off them the whole time. I was surprised that a disease like that didn't even spread to another Dupe.

48 minutes ago, Oatmeal said:

So what you're saying is... I can make a room filled with containers for slime and contaminated dirt, stick some air deodorizers in there, and have clean air forever?

Also, yeah. One of my Dupes got some disease called 'Spores' or something, and not a da** thing happened. They just had vampire sparkles (the little Dandelion seeds) coming off them the whole time. I was surprised that a disease like that didn't even spread to another Dupe.

Well I'd use contaminated water, dirt and slime slowly lose mass as they create contaminated oxygen. Also this only lasts until you run out of sand, better to not give a damn about the contamination and just let it fly out.

I've noticed this as well, and while it doesnt stop me from sending dupes into contaminated areas, I try to keep majority of where my dupes move and work in clean oxygen, mostly to get my self in the habit of it cause I know one day one of these updates is likely to bring with it some dire consequences for letting them breathe in too much toxic air.

Well I think they like to have some level of irony in their titles. Playing don't starve makes you think that you need food and you're good. You focus too much on getting food and eating and then you die. Then die again and again and again and again. And then you relize that you died to many other things but never to hunger. Clever devs eh?

What a hilarious and tragic fate for the OP's dupes (That seems to be a recurring theme with this game)

Things are going to get so much more complicated once diseases really get implemented.  It should be fun to see the graphical effects they have planned. 

Personally I'm hoping for a possible zombie virus or even better - morbs latching onto corpses' heads and re-animating them.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:01 AM, Ventus976 said:

oxygen running out isn't a problem in a game called "Oxygen Not Included."

Don't see many people dying of starvation or playing together in a game called 'Don't Starve Together'

*wink wink* *nudge nudge*

On 18/2/2017 at 4:51 AM, Octyabr said:

I don't know about slime, but I have noticed that polluted dirt seems to consume over time from PO2 production.

Archived