The Characters are Duplicants?

In Oxygen Not Included, the characters are all 'duplicants' - with similar proportions to DS characters. This prompted me to look into the possibility DS characters are in-fact, Duplicants.

What I realised is:

In Don't Starve, Maxwell on the throne/greeting you is proper, human size and dies like a human also. Wilson (duplicant) on the throne, is still Duplicant size.

Canonically, that's the original Maxwell.

In Don't Starve Together, two of a character can meet, canonically. They can also be in different outfits (yes, skins are canon) than the established ones, without ever earning them (canonically) - This means there's more than one instance of everyone there.

Again, Charlie is shown to have human proportions, and is also still the original Charlie.

To link this to Forbidden Knowledge, I looked into Maxwell's Door and the Seaworthy:

In-game, it appears Maxwell's Door actually DOES duplicate you:

One instance goes to Adventure Mode

One stays outside.

If adventure Mode Instance dies, Survival instance wakes up.

Duplicants are expendable.

Moving onto the Seaworthy, it is a whole new oyster

One of you sits on the Seaworthy (original instance)

While one goes to Shipwrecked (new instance)

In-fact, it was changed to resemble this. Originally, it just happened.

Why would they change it to duplicate you?

On the other hand, the Teleportato does NOT duplicate you, instead transporting this one instance across, lending credence to the "one in adventure mode, one in survival" theory.

Again, in Shipwrecked if you are to start two seperate worlds, one SW and one DS/RoG:

If one goes across the other, even as the same character, that world's duplicant is removed. It's clear something is preventing them from meeting, rather than one canonically not existing, giving credence to the Duplicant theory.

This could explain why Charlie is shown to "kill" Wilson on the throne. The only way to leave the throne has been shown to be, death. Death of a duplicant (or the original in Maxwell, and potentially Charlie's case - making a duplicant)

I have more on my phone I'll add at a later date.

But that's just a theory. A GAME THEORY!

Trivia:

MINOR OXYGEN NOT INCLUDED SPOILERS

Spoiler

Woodrow (a cancelled/unimplemented DS character) is actually a duplicant in Oxygen Not Included.

Hmm...having not played Oxygen Not Included yet, I can't really speak for this.  But it's interesting. The one point I'd specifically argue with is Charlie "killing" Wilson on the throne--to me it looked like her shadow side very much WANTED to, her human side wanted to be nice to him, and the compromise new Queen-Charlie persona tossed him _through a portal to the Don't Starve World_.  Which, yes, is BAD, but I wouldn't say death.

...not _instantly_.

...well, not unless you've got the world settings turned up to Insane and/or difficulty mods and/or are a bad/new player.  (Let's not get into the whole Hell/Purgatory thing, except to say I VERY don't agree.  In my headcanon, getting TO the Don't Starve world _does not involve dying_ (once you're there you very definitely will, though, and most likely soon!), because said world is just some other dimension that happens to suck, and not any kind of afterlife.)

ANYway, having said that, it's an interesting theory in general...and would _really_ throw a wrench into things.  That means, that everything is actually probably taking place way in the FUTURE, and our characters just _think_ they come from the 1900s-1920's!  As duplicants, I presume they could be programmed/genetically engineered that way. 

Or is it, instead, a sort of humanoid terrarium (made out of a created sub-dimension) to watch with amusement, from On High, and by that I mean on monitors?  In this case, the actual early part of the 20th century would have nothing to do with it, and the characters simply look like that because...style.  Much like how 21st-century real humans made the game that way.  ;)

Ooh!  Oooh!  Maybe Maxwell could be an ordinary human from ONI'S presumably futuristic time period who projected himself INTO the game (?), thereby heavily breaking the rules--i.e., you're not supposed to do anything with your little Sims duplicants other than "click on them" to see their status; you may NOT give them any direct orders or physically pick them up and put them somewhere else.  The interactions have to be _genuine_.  (So, this would make all the Don't Starve characters' actions a big I'm Surrounded By Idiots challenge...without the I'm.*)

So, the other players got pissed off and chose another of their own to put into the simulation as well, to try and set things straight again (Charlie!) but they messed up on the programming at first and she ended up with shadow status in the "game", rather than being represented as her human self.  They (on the outside--perhaps the SAME "They" Maxwell mentions?) eventually got this (kind of) sorted, resulting in the whole A New Reign thing, in which Charlie showed up to put the "winner" of the simulation back into the game like a good little pawn. 

But, Charlie decided she _liked_ it here, now that she had power, and elected to stay as a big fish in a small pond--rather than go back to her futuristic life, where she might've been a nobody. From our characters' point of view, this all seemed to take some amount of concrete time; from the HUMANS' point of view, it was only a few seconds where somebody went "Oh, (blank)!" and corrected their mistake with a few keystrokes.   

At any rate, _any_ of this would make Maxwell's statement "Time moves differently here" have WAY more of a meaning than anybody previously thought!  (AND it would make the "every game day _is_ only eight minutes, to the CHARACTERS not just the player" theory make more sense...if it's a _simulation_, _in universe_, sure!)

...Notorious

*So you don't have to look it up, the "I'm Surrounded By Idiots" challenge is when you have a household full of Sims and you only give ONE of them any direct commands.  Everybody else must do as their AI dictates, and hilarity ensues! And by that I mean hair-tearing frustration.

26 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Ooh!  Oooh!  Maybe Maxwell could be an ordinary human from ONI'S presumably futuristic time period who projected himself INTO the game (?)

the game definitely takes place in the 1920's, i didnt see any hovercars or spacecrafts in the cyclum puzzle.

plus, william carter worked at a circus, something that, as of late, doesn't really exist anymore. they used newspapers back then too, which is bound to go away eventually as well.

9 hours ago, AFatCat said:

stuff

My problem with this theory is that it takes a lot of gameplay mechanics and acts like they're story related, when they're just gameplay mechanics.

Two people can join a server as Wilson, but that doesn't mean there are canonically two Wilsons, it would just be a bad mechanic if there could only be one of each character per server.
You go back to Maxwell's door if you die in adventure mode, because it would be very unfun if your survival world got deleted for dying in adventure mode.
You can merge a SW world with a pre-existing RoG one, because it would be dumb if you couldn't just because the two worlds use the same character.

These aren't some kind of story pieces we've been missing, these are just Don't Starve being a video game.

9 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

My problem with this theory is that it takes a lot of gameplay mechanics and acts like they're story related, when they're just gameplay mechanics.

Two people can join a server as Wilson, but that doesn't mean there are canonically two Wilsons, it would just be a bad mechanic if there could only be one of each character per server.
You go back to Maxwell's door if you die in adventure mode, because it would be very unfun if your survival world got deleted for dying in adventure mode.
You can merge a SW world with a pre-existing RoG one, because it would be dumb if you couldn't just because the two worlds use the same character.

These aren't some kind of story pieces we've been missing, these are just Don't Starve being a video game.

Cyclum and other canon material shows characters to have two "instances"

I accept Maxwell's Door one

However, the Seaworthy (even after it let you merge) was changed to dupe you. Go on it, one will sit on it, one will jump through the Portal.

3 hours ago, AFatCat said:

Cyclum and other canon material shows characters to have two "instances"

I accept Maxwell's Door one

However, the Seaworthy (even after it let you merge) was changed to dupe you. Go on it, one will sit on it, one will jump through the Portal.

Can you show us the Canon material that shows the characters have two instances

Devs did say that Wilson does die a few times canonically 

The reason maxwell's size changes is not that he is a duplicate but because that is how the characters are drawn and so that Kiel didn't have to mess with code to work around maxwell size. it is shown in puzzles that are characters are actually the average height. The reason  wilson is still in game size and doesn't become lengthier is just the games code there is no template of the irl models only game models if you sit on the throne has maxwell he turns back into his adventure mode counterpart and not his DS conterpart.

If you take the game height as the normal height in real life turms then charlie bosses are really tall or massive its all about perspective so technically when you see maxwell on the nightmare throne he isn't normal height he is tall and frail then when he gets his power taken he returns to normal height and features thus looks like all the other playable characters

Just now, Donke60 said:

Can you show us the Canon material that shows the characters have two instances

Devs did say that Wilson does die a few times canonically 

The reason maxwell's size changes is not that he is a duplicate but because that is how the characters are drawn and so that Kiel didn't have to mess with code to work around maxwell size. it is shown in puzzles that are characters are actually the average height. The reason  wilson is still in game size and doesn't become lengthier is just the games code there is no template of the irl models only game models if you sit on the throne has maxwell he turns back into his adventure mode counterpart and not his DS conterpart.

If you take the game height as the normal height in real life turms then charlie bosses are really tall or massive its all about perspective so technically when you see maxwell on the nightmare throne he isn't normal height he is tall and frail then when he gets his power taken he returns to normal height and features thus looks like all the other playable characters

Duplicants are smaller than Humans, hence why Maxwell is taller.

Cyclum shows them coming through in other outfits, despite the fact canonically their wear their default clothes AND skins aren't canon in DS, showing multiple instances in multiple skins.

yclum shows them coming through in other outfits, despite the fact canonically their wear their default clothes AND skins aren't canon in DS, showing multiple instances in multiple skins.

I didn't say anything about skins not being cannon

Duplicants are smaller than Humans, hence why Maxwell is taller.

I'm arguing here that its just a matter of perspective and that maxwell is taller because he still has the power of the throne and is suppose to be taller then you but when he is kicked off the throne or replaced he reverts to normal and is not freakishly tall like before and is reverted to his normal size.Thus being the size of the characters which is average height for the game. 

Also you can not use ONI as evidence in your theory as that is a seprate game universe as I write this and again the dups could be the average height for a normal human just look small to fit the games style and look and until you show me another normal human that is bigger then the dupes in ONI I belive that they are not small but instead average height irl Like you are me

Also you can not use your theory as evidence to back up your own theory it doesn't work like that.

Well, I don't know about everybody else, but I meant all of the above as theoretical.  Like, "IF, you wanted to say that these games were actually the same universe, then this and this and that."

I don't personally, even in a headcanony way, think that they _are_ connected and that gameplay mechanics actually mean story mechanics--just that it's an intruging concept to play around with.  'Cos it is.  I'm a huge sucker for things where you think it's a real world and then suddenly you reach the edge and bump into the glass, or stick your hand past a certain rock and your hand disolves, or you suddenly wake up and _realise_ that your neighbors' kids have always been kids...freaky Twilight Zone-y stuff. (And that's not to say that I think duplicants ARE Sims or the equivalent, just that, in my above "theory", they're _treated_ as such by the human "players".)

I could here go into my further theories that IF this were true, it would explain why Maxwell and then Charlie had more powers than the normal characters (they're actually Users!), that the different skins are access to, essentially, pieces of the holodeck code that allow the duplicants to clothe themselves in different sets of pixels, some of which have arbitrarily been given more value than others and thereby give the human player who champions that particular character from the sidelines more status and wow THAT.got meta real fast...

But I've gone on about this enough, especially for something I'm probably getting COMPLETELY wrong.  : P  I'm not worried about being accurate here, though.  I'm just having fun.  :)

To reiterate:  I DO realise that the Don't Starve characters come from some version of the 1920's and that, OBVIOUSLY, these are two seperate games and game weirdness is game weirdness. I am just having fun with ideas.  (I mean, normally I'm _more_ against taking it literally than some other Starver theorists, such as...I don't believe that every game day is LITERALLY only 8 minutes long, _to the characters_. "Time" may "move differently here", but not THAT differently!  It's game-time compression for the convenience of the players--but if you want Maxwell to have been there for hundreds or thousands of years, well hey!  Adventure Mode is its own seperate sub-dimension, so it can have its _own_ timeline!  Not to mention--there's no day clock in the corner when you enter the actual throne room part...)

...Notorious

Image result

There we go.
But to be honest, I side with Creeper on this one. I love WMGs, and Gameplay and Story Integration is always interesting, but you shouldn't apply it if you can't connect two universes without the whole thing crumbling apart and making not a lick of sense. In this case, ONI is ONI, and DS is DS, and they don't go together. "Same company and the art style is similiar" reasoning doesn't fly and goes in flames, shot from the sky by game limitations and timelines.

(rolls eyes) Ya know...just because you don't agree doesn't mean you get to be the No Fun Police and _scold_ us like stupid little kids, like "Oh, ha ha, you're so _silly_.  Come home now, it's time to do your homework!"  If you don't like it, just...don't...READ it!   You don't have to _destroy_ it-- just leave it alone! 

It's ONE thread out of so.  Many.  What the hell HARM is it actually doing?  Why does it hurt _you_ for other people to make up stuff for fun?

Dammit. An actually halfway interesting lore-y thread pops up, and it gets killed _dead_ by "the grown-ups" less than a day after it frelling comes into existence...

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(rolls eyes) Ya know...just because you don't agree doesn't mean you get to be the No Fun Police and _scold_ us like stupid little kids, like "Oh, ha ha, you're so _silly_.  Come home now, it's time to do your homework!"  If you don't like it, just...don't...READ it!   You don't have to _destroy_ it-- just leave it alone! 

We or better yet I am not being the no fun police and I am not scolding you or @AFatCat I was simply challeging his theory and the agurement you have if you don't like it don't' read it is bad for the OP and other people we have a right just as you to say what we want I was merely battling his theory and showing its flaws so that he could fix said flaws or come up with a more well put together theory and when he or if he does I will battle that one too. I'm am showing skepticism and criticism if your theory can not hold up to criticism or opposing evidence then it is not a well put together theory and should not be believed.

It's ONE thread out of so.  Many.  What the hell HARM is it actually doing?  Why does it hurt _you_ for other people to make up stuff for fun?

Well it is not physically harming me but I care about the game I want the lore and the why's and whats of the Don't starve story answered and the last thing I want is for people to belive the wrong thing about the story or get facts confused because that slows down what the actual answers are

He can make things up but if he can not prove them of if its just a silly thought then @AFatCat should not have labeled it as a theory and if he you read this sir I ask you to not call it a theory if it was an honest silly thought so that you avoid this negative backlash

Dammit. An actually halfway interesting lore-y thread pops up, and it gets killed _dead_ by "the grown-ups" less than a day after it frelling comes into existence...

That is fine and the thread isn't dead it is just at a low point why are you making a big commotion here as you said " there are other threads you can go on" you don't have to stick to this one. Lore is something to look into and don't starve has a lot to look into and mystery and alot of questions it is and deserves to be looked into for me atleast. so when something of lore comes up and in this case a threory it will most certainly be challaged if this thread was about costumes or  creature ideas I would care much because those arent set in stone but a story or lore is. It is a story and for don't starve it is a fixed story it has a back story and a time line which means that there are right and wrong answers and I want to make sure even if just for myself that I have the right answers.

Coming up with theories is hard and this is the reason why they get brought to the spolight with people posing arguements  and evidence against them. So the theory itself has to be soild if it falls apart to easily then all it does is waste time for the answers and people themselves want solid theories.

@AFatCat I ask that you continue your theory or so make better ones for you have done nothing wrong and all I want and possibly most people want are to discuss lore and find the answers so if you have other theories I ask that you post them and this goes for everybody so we may discuss them, examine them and find the answers to DON'T STARVE TOGETHER!

5 hours ago, AFatCat said:

Just to add some more fuel to this fire, it's said that the Duplicants speak Trumpet, just like DS people speak instruments.

I would still argue that this is not established and is only for style and to save on voice acting. Also we do know that the dupes are human and it is physically impossible to sound like an instrument to the degree that DS sound also I would like to bring up Jelly's point of game mechnics just being game mechanics and not an actual part of the univers also in the DS universe we have no reason to belive that the characters are dupes as you say.

• Developer

But I can't stop thinking about two things regarding this theory...

1. In Forbidden Knowledge, before Wilson goes to the DS world, he's already "duplicant" size.
  2. The duplicants have identical body shapes and head sizes for males and females, their eyes are also all the same and their hair is one of the only thing that changes, but DS chars have different headbases and females (and Warly/Woodlegs) have white eyes.

18 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

The duplicants have identical body shapes and head sizes for males and females, their eyes are also all the same and their hair is one of the only thing that changes, but DS chars have different headbases and females (and Warly) have white eyes.

And not to mention, they also have different body shapes as well. Wolfgang, for obvious reasons, and Wickerbottom is actually slightly thinner than Wilson. Don't know about the rest of the cast though.

9 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

In Forbidden Knowledge, before Wilson goes to the DS world, he's already "duplicant" size.

That was one of the main things that makes me think it's just style and wilson is average height in the DS world and this makes it so you can see a lot on the screen at a time i everything was scaled up to relistic proprotions all the giants would be off screen things would be hard to see and the game I feel would look more generic for I enjoy the stage prop or storybook look of the game.

9 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

The duplicants have identical body shapes and head sizes for males and females, their eyes are also all the same and their hair is one of the only thing that changes, but DS chars have different headbases and females (and Warly) have white eyes.

They so could be but I argue that the DS crew are not dupes for they have a backstory and delvoped personialties. the dupes are expendable where not meant to pour our personalty into them or relate just help keep them alive thier lives don't matter just the base life matter. Their only quality is looking cute.

9 hours ago, StarmanNess said:

and Warly) have white eyes.

All shipwreck characters have white eyes I judge that this is to give a distiction from the Shipwreck cast and the orginial one this was also in RoG with wigfreid and webber. The exception being Woodie who does have a curse and it is not uncommon for people stricken with were curse to have an eye distiction that tells them apart from normal people it's in the same case as vampires too.

Archived