Is there a way to make water?

The bio-distiller creates contaminated water out of slime. But it's a very small amount, only 100 grams of water per job.

It seems like it might be possible to get infinite slime from puffs, but I imagine it'd take a very large number of them to actually make enough slime, not to mention many  bio-distillers. 

Right now it seems that running out of water is more or less the end of the game.

14 minutes ago, Criptfeind said:

The bio-distiller creates contaminated water out of slime. But it's a very small amount, only 100 grams of water per job.

It seems like it might be possible to get infinite slime from puffs, but I imagine it'd take a very large number of them to actually make enough slime, not to mention many  bio-distillers. 

Right now it seems that running out of water is more or less the end of the game.

Yeah, 70% of my gameplay is making paths to any kind of water.

There's some other ways as well, including using the the water purifier to create more of it.You can use the plumbing toilet (lavatory) which gives a bonus of 5 kg per use along with the stockpile of air scrubbers and a couple of showers but those just reuse water and i don't know why I'm even writing this (probably just to give information). The ONLY way to get more water is the puffs to get slime and then using a TON of bio distilleries. The longest i lasted was about 36 cycles and the reason i died was because of a ton of hydrogen flooded my home because of all the Electrolyzer in my base.

Aside from searching the asteroid for water, what you can do is cherry pick dupes who have small bladders and stress puke.  Once your dupes are so needy that their stress management is halting production, start collecting the bodily fluids from your clones.

For me currently best source still - dig down to magma, make contaminated water fall into it -> steam -> transfer steam in thermo pipes -> cool down pipes -> get clean water. I tried similar variant to create steam with hydrogen generator (as it hot enough) but its too glitchy (sometimes works, sometimes not) and also too slow.

The game doesn't seem to support this, but the hydrogen generator should accept hydrogen and oxygen as input, with water and energy as output. That's how hydrogen fuel works, right?

2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O

Granted, the reason we have hydrogen gas is because we split water to get oxygen, so... *stress-pukes*

8 minutes ago, Octyabr said:

Sadly... yes.

Using it to make oxygen, to make mushbars, to do research or to water algae destroys water without getting some way of getting it back.

That first one is easily the greatest imbalance..  it is my one thing I would like to see looked at in the game.  I have a larger base and for some reason need to make oxygen full time from at least one electrolysis for only eight duplicates.  I have three of those slime processors going to at least try to help offset.

One thing for water I would like to see is hydrogen power generators put out steam exhaust.  Though then it would need to ensure that the power to split it was more than the power returned from it.  Also would take up oxygen.  Overall, the cycle does feel too open.

39 minutes ago, applebottom said:

The game doesn't seem to support this, but the hydrogen generator should accept hydrogen and oxygen as input, with water and energy as output. That's how hydrogen fuel works, right?

2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O

Granted, the reason we have hydrogen gas is because we split water to get oxygen, so... *stress-pukes*

No, you can have either water or electricity, not both. Generator is burning the h2 to create energy. To create water you would have to spent energy. Specifically you take hydrogen, add oxygen and burn. Come forth water and heat.

Yes. The Martian taught me things :D (well, reminded)

23 minutes ago, Vilda said:

No, you can have either water or electricity, not both. Generator is burning the h2 to create energy. To create water you would have to spent energy. Specifically you take hydrogen, add oxygen and burn. Come forth water and heat.

Yes. The Martian taught me things :D (well, reminded)

But H2 is a fuel. The reaction is combustion. Combustion of fuel creates energy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combustion_engine_vehicle

I assumed the hydrogen generator has an extra step to capture the energy output of combustion and transform it into electrical form. But you can't just "burn" H2 by itself and create energy from nothing. There's a chemical reaction involved. The one I posted above.

You can, of course, just apply heat to the gas and increase the pressure, pass it through a turbine, and convert the mechanical energy into electricity. But that's not a chemical reaction. You're just playing with the volume/pressure of the gas.

It's possible that ONI's hydrogen generator uses turbines (but it's too small! also, where is the heat coming from???). In which case, I'll rest my case and just wish for a second type of machine which allows us to burn hydrogen in the presence of O2 to get heat + water.

I don't know what Martian is, sorry :( Just trying to recall old thermo lessons...

Oxygen in the game is a relative term. In common use and in game terms we often say "oxygen" when we actually mean atmospheric air which is roughly 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. If it was pure oxygen I would be really more worried about rapid oxidization of copper and other materials, as well as the constant threat of flash fires which don't happen.

I think it is safe to assume oxygen really just is synonymous with atmospheric air

Archived