Show Us Your Colony

2 hours ago, Methusalem said:

Interesting approach to keep it compact and modular. But (there had to be a "But" :)) the Electrolyzer is able to produce 1000g Hydrogen/Oxygen per second, the pump can only process 500g. It either needs a second pump or the electrolyzer will only run at half capacity.
And even if you add a second pump and if they both run at 100% and process all the gas and if you can use the hydrogen to run the generator full-time, then pretty much all of the power is needed just to keep this setup going. Any air cooling or any of the other tasks in your world will have to be powered from other sources.

It's a really elegant build, but a more open solution where a major chunk of the oxygen is distributed using the natural air flow and a pump is used to catch the hydrogen from multiple electrolyzers might be the more efficient approach.

Good point about the 1000g that gets produced, so far I haven't paid close enough attention to the numbers in general in this game. Based on that I do think I need to redesign it with 2 gas pumps.

For the hydrogen power generator, I don't intend to use it as a power source, as I've read in previous comments that its power generation is extremely low compared to other sources like coal.  If it's able to power only the 1 electrolizer, gas filter, and 2 gas pumps, then that's great because then it's as though they're powering themselves and don't cost me anything except the water.

With 2 gas pumps and 1 filter in an enclosed room that feeds all the hydrogen into the generator, it seems feasible to keep all the hydrogen out of our base while pumping oxygen into it, while powering those machines with free power (because of the hydrogen generator).

Here are two new different designs that use 2 gas pumps instead of 1.  It seems more effective in the one where the pumps are above the electrolizer. I wonder if it's still efficient if I use only 1 filter instead of 2, or if that creates an efficiency bottleneck when two gas pumps go through a single filter.

horizontal.png

vertical.png

Just to show you guys, my example of a sustainable colony. The design will probably have to be changed after the next patch though.

Other people have managed to do this without ignoring stress. Without the Morbs I lose literally tons of air through the pipes.

My 2nd colony. First one was a complete failure. Took on to many dupes before I had sustainability and it failed.

Starting to explore the hydrogen power. From what I hear though it isn't very efficient. Mostly just keeps Hydrogen out of the air. Still having a lot of fun with the game though. Can't wait for future changes!

O2.bmp

My 3rd try to build long lasting base. Not sustainable as I'm not a fan of vomiter/small bladder or morb farm methods of producing oxygen.

Here are my observations so far:

• Always use 2 tile high rooms and halls when possible since tile itself gives decor in 1 tile radius.
  • Printing Pod creates cheap 45 decor (30 pod + 15 light) in decent radius. Use it.
  • Cheapest and quickest way to move water is by gravity. Try to move up to discover new water pockets.
  • Dupes move much faster horizontally than vertically. Optimal base has a oval shape.
  • Mine using ladders instead of tiles. Ladders don't obstruct the flow of oxygen/water are more accessible and have wider reach.

And above all keep your eye on oxygen production and it's prospects.

the-systematic-tunnel-base.png

17 hours ago, chestnutcute said:

dupes only breathe in other gases when they go exploring , waiting for next update for a better one o3o , i like managing air and keeping my living space purified...you dont want to be breathing where you will be living do you?

chestnutcute I really like your base, especially impressed by how much you've got set for such a young colony.  What are you doing with the hydrogen? I see you're pumping it out somewhere.  What are you doing with that room on the left side, is that a steam room that's converting contaminated water to clean air?  Thanks

1 hour ago, midjones said:

chestnutcute I really like your base, especially impressed by how much you've got set for such a young colony.  What are you doing with the hydrogen? I see you're pumping it out somewhere.  What are you doing with that room on the left side, is that a steam room that's converting contaminated water to clean air?  Thanks

On the left side of the room is the steam chamber, heat is generated from machines and batteries there, the hydrogen generator is also included inside.

In short , contaminated water is being dripped inside and turning into steam and then pumped out.

Anyways the new update is out \o/. None of my dupes died btw =) i cant stand anyone dying...

o4.jpg

o5.jpg

o6.jpg

So I got steam production working and there's enough contaminated water to keep me going for a few thousand cycles but I think I'm done with this colony and I'll start over for the update. Also messed around with cooling the contaminated O2 from the morbs but it's just not a sustainable way to produce oxygen and when I leave it running it occasionally floods my base with not quite cold enough contaminated O2. It's a great way to rapidly cool rooms though. Also 4 out of 6 of my pufts died/disappeared for no reason, they were warm and had plenty of contaminated oxygen.

20170315031949_1.jpg

20170315031302_1.jpg

20170315183322_1.jpg

20170315183551_1.jpg

20170315182752_1.jpg

I took some pics for someone yesterday to show them something about O2, so I'll just post the main base one up here since I hadn't spotted this thread before! You can't really see the uppermost part of the base or the bottom where the water tank and airlock areas to outside are, but this is the main protected living space. I'm OCD about keeping the place safe and clean given how much time the dupes spend outside traipsing around in polluted water and breathing in all manner of toxic crap (this is a death-free colony, as I don't like dupes dying lol).

8nmWhld.jpg

I had all the lights turned off to conserve power, save the one with the terrariums at bottom, while dupes were doing other things, and so far, I've only ever used the one electrolyzer/pump at the top (had built three when I first set up the area just so I'd have them if needed). Will be moving that one batch of blossom plants at top out to the new food area on the left side at some point too. Will give me room to expand a bit if I add more dupes, but I'll prob be sticking with these for a while yet.

My Thermal Upgrade 2 year old colony, too big for my tiny screen: http://prntscr.com/eps1yq http://prntscr.com/eps2b7 http://prntscr.com/eps2ga http://prntscr.com/eps2nh http://prntscr.com/eps2qt http://prntscr.com/eps2xq http://prntscr.com/eps315 

It's basically what happens if you have geysers. Everything I base on water. Oxygen through electrolysis, fertilizer from shower and toilet water and CO2 scrubbers.

Archived