Show Us Your Colony

So far so good. I think this is the farthest I've gone. I want to get sanitation up and running, then I will work on decontamination resources. Keeping your dupe count low for a long time has advantages haha.

I do with there were an extra command to direct a dupe to immediately use/do something, like go water this now, instead of having to go to priority and swap it to 9 and then back down. Sometimes they get confused about the priority as well. Really annoying when something reachable is set to 8 and they decide to do 7's for five cycles.

Happy Digging!

top of base.png

bottom of base.png

53 minutes ago, Isaacg said:

My single dupe base. Pretty easy managing oxygen with just one. working on my water tank to the right atm

I was thinking about playing with only one dupe. Just to see how far you could get before it got boring.

After a few disasters I finally made it to 100, kept the area small and only 7 Duplicates. Making managing stress and oxygen between excursions for alge, coal, and more contaminated water less of a problem. No one died but the decor requirements are getting to be too much. I feel like thinking of duplicates as a renewable resource is going to have to happen and I just started to be able to put faces to names. The enclosed pump/filter on each side generate oxygen and Hydrogen then pump them into the contained base and the hydrogen generators above. it takes a fair amount of coal to keep that going however.

Now that I read about water from contaminate oxygen via steam and oxygen from frozen contaminated oxygen I might have to give it another go. 

Great game even in alpha, I am excited to see how it progresses.

Cycle 100.jpg

on the left of my base i have my clean water deposit the river that used to be there caved in into a space were gases were and i was lacking water for a long time since i din't had any nearby water i got coal generators running with algae habitat to use that co2 to produce oxygen. i am refining slime to get some water, oxygen and algae for the habitats. on the right side i got a tunnel going into a area with slime and air purifiers on the top area to clean the oxygen that is heading into my base and i found water way down there witch i am pumping into my liquid output witch i have to connect directly to my water purifier. is not a efficient place but it has been a decent learning ground for me now to try to take care of my dups wile they slowly die or i find a way to make better use of my assets.

20170226200845_1.jpg

20170226200904_1.jpg

20170226200921_1.jpg

20170226200926_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Solarboydavid said:

on the left of my base i have my clean water deposit the river that used to be there caved in into a space were gases were and i was lacking water for a long time since i din't had any nearby water i got coal generators running with algae habitat to use that co2 to produce oxygen. i am refining slime to get some water, oxygen and algae for the habitats. on the right side i got a tunnel going into a area with slime and air purifiers on the top area to clean the oxygen that is heading into my base and i found water way down there witch i am pumping into my liquid output witch i have to connect directly to my water purifier. is not a efficient place but it has been a decent learning ground for me now to try to take care of my dups wile they slowly die or i find a way to make better use of my assets.

Called "the Pit", it was a gameplay clue ^^. Nice try anyway !

Not fancy, only hamster wheels for power, my second game (I went back and advanced it some after playing others), but I feel that it could go on for a very long time because it doesn't use any water. Sand is only needed when there's nowhere to put the CO2 (and I don't want to exploit fluid-destroying bugs). I also don't bother cleaning the air. No medical, shower, not much furniture, a lot of them sleep on the ground. There's a puft room off-screen (slime factory, like a beefalo pen is a poop factory). That's what the two ducts are for, one to transfer off contaminated air, the other to return everything else (right now that room is all CO2). The colonists voted to exile those two dead people because they couldn't keep their anger issues under control, it totally wasn't me. Simple, not very interesting. To maximize number of colonist-cycles you survive in the game, you kind of avoid much of the tech.

Second game.png

I might do another game with clean air, proper sleeping arrangements and decor, a ventilation system I want to steal from someone else, showers, lavatories, the works. Maybe a captive crab in addition to the puft (I just saw in a video that they turn fertilizer into coal), and try coal generators. This would only cause me to run out of sand and be overwhelmed by CO2 that much sooner, but I want to try a proper base.

Something else I just thought of... the dead duplicates should have been exiled to the puft room, so that the inevitable morbs (there's 4 of them on that ledge) can feed the puft.

My best base so far, I think this is probably one of the best ways I found to build up your base, I can show you layouts if you want to, also some feedback will be appreciate:

I have my working area, my kitchen and my dinning room in the middle, my crops on the botton next to my relax room, my medical post is on the top next to a large hallway full of storage compactors that connects to the bedrooms and restrooms on the right side (i didnt make showers bcos it seems bugged). My disposal area and my coal generator are on the left side separated by two consecutive airlock doors and my Bio Distillers are on the right corner, I've made a double airlock doors trap with double ladder on the top to prevent the contaminated oxygen leave that place, and on the botton I have my thermo Regulator room to pump up some cool air around my base, specially for the crops and kitchen area. I build a lot of electrolyzers in small rooms with an air pump connected to a hydrogen generator all around my base, I have a Gas Vent connected to almost every room, so I have zero Co2, H or Contaminated O2 problems.

What I'm doin now is pump contaminated water from caverns around to fill up my tanks on the very top. So what do you guys think?

ONI_ookii.png

I think people rely too much on Algae Deoxidyzers and Terrariums, they might be great the first 20-40 days depending on how many Dupes you have, but eventually you will ran out of Algae and Bio Distillers produce too much contaminated oxygen, specially if you don't build a close room for it and place it right next to your Kitchen.

I think the best way to start is to pick a dupe with high learning skill and research the Advance Filtration and Combustion fast to generate a lot of oxygen and some clean energy..

On 21/2/2017 at 2:18 AM, Nanya said:

IMG%5DI thought this base was coming to an end, but I suddenly got it under control! This is my happy astroid home~

You have too many batteries, they might keep your machines working during sleep time but they waste energy over time, also I hardly recommend you to build a double airlock door trap to reach your Bio Distiller and Coal Generator rooms. I don't like the idea of letting your dupes sleep in the middle of your crossway but whatever, it seems they don't care.

Hi,

This is just before the $&*£ hit the fan , thought I was coming along nicely then BAM no Electricity = no water = no food = no Oxygen

Having a hard time prioritising Décor I had a whole water filtration system going, sewage reservoir , clean water supply , oxidisers and air -scrubbers - Hydrogen generator etc etc , didn't help that I had gas perm tiles for décor value but helped greatly with gas management , biggest mistake I made was deconstructing manual generators after building coal gens , also dismantling outhouses after building a toilet, in retrospect I will not rush to Tier 3 tech as fast as I did as I didn't realise how much water was being used, also water becomes really scarce when using electrolisers. Next time I'm going to try a pyramid shape keeping my bedrooms and production in the middle where the oxygen is, also going to focus on putting décor in bedrooms and massage room only as they can destress during the night. Hope you guys like it :)

2017-02-27 (1).png

2017-02-27.png

Heres mine vault.Eight dupes seems the best for me.Sadly i stopped playing by this point because of stuppid laging dissapearing water! The friggin water just dont want to fill the pool (i simply pumping it but it is like if it is going into nowhere maybe just a tiny bit is going into the pool). In first cycles it was fine but after cycle 70 or so water becomes to bugged to play, reloading save helps for few cycles but this is not solution.Great game anyway!

2REjccS.png

PnsmrIn.png

Man that hand sanitizer is so friggin cute!

BAFS0dJ.png

And remember kids DONT store bleach stone in your base!

This is my fifth attempt.
I didn't research and build non-algae oxygen generators quickly in my first attempt. Immediately grabbed new dupes when they came up as well, so i used up my O2 quickly. Not being able to breathe apparently stresses dupes out.
My second attempt was trial and error, not realizing oxidizers made hydrogen and having it everywhere in my base.
My third attempt got oxidizers working. I moved out into slime refining to replenish my dwindling water supply. Contaminated oxygen was a problem. (not deadly but i didn't know dupes could survive on contaminated oxygen and refined vomit at the time)
My fourth attempt helped me figure out plumbing (somewhat) better.

base.png

My batteries were heating my plants too much, had to move them to another area. Cooling the air and pumping it back in didn't help enough. (or at least quickly enough)
I used up my beginning water kinda quick, there were large amounts of contaminated water nearby though.
Most of my carbon dioxide floats over towards the coal generators, which i pump out.
My slime and contaminated dirt sits in storage near the toilets, eventually dissipating into contaminated oxygen that gets filtered.

-The cell painter is open so i could zoom out further.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:00 AM, Mieko said:

I think it's time to retire this colony. I was doing pretty well until I saw a puft all the way at the top and focused all my time trying to lure it down into my base by placing deodorizers near it so it was forced into my stinky base.

Sadly, I don't know what happened to the puft after a while =[. I wasn't able to build around it quickly enough to trap it. I'm guessing I tried to harvest my plants and accidentally tagged the poor puft for destruction.

Your base area is too cold for Pufts to survive in. After a day or so they drop dead and leave behind some meat. :/

On 2/24/2017 at 7:49 PM, Saturnus said:

Outer wall 3 tiles thick with abyssalite thermal tiles on the outside and granite tiles inside. Sandstone in the middle.

So does it work to keep the base cooler? Can you post a screenshot of the base with temperature overlay?

19 hours ago, Im_ookii said:

You have too many batteries, they might keep your machines working during sleep time but they waste energy over time

Too many batteries? Nonsense!

Spoiler

20170225181131_1.jpg

Also a small note: those batteries (I have more in a separate area) are only needed when I need a very big output of power (15 pumps and 7 air coolers) so, most of the time are unconnected to the main grid.

In this picture I left them unconnected for ~21 cycles and haven't lost a single Joule.

I just played my first game I made it up to Cycle 57 before game locked up. I had a major hiccup when I soil gave away and released a toxic gas all over my complex. My colony was just barely surviving on getting slime and I lost 5 settlers from starvation one year. All I was doing at the end was refilling the order for making food. I did try to make a last ditch effort to restart my colony by going deeper since that area was free of toxic air, but the game began to process too much data and the game locked up. I have Windows 8 with 4 Gigs, so it ran smooth until I hit around Cycle 50 and the computer's performance began to start to stall from processing so much information until it locked up. I do admit I played this colony in one session. I'll play my new colony breaking them up and closing the game to see what happens.

Archived