Show Us Your Colony

Hey everyone, really enjoying the alpha and wanted to share my base and thoughts.  Things seem pretty stable and I can probably go for a while until I run out of sand.  Disabling the shower (does not seem to do anything currently) and microbe musher (can just eat the mealworms) will help get the most out of my water supply.  I may also revert to outhouses to further conserve water.

I've been adding paintings wherever there is empty space, the generator area at the top has a decor rating of 250!  However, I've noticed some dupes still have stress problems due to interrupted sleep.  It seems like they go to bed with ~2200 calories then wake up hungry and tired with <2000.  They immediately go eat which leaves them with about 2200 calories again when the go to sleep that night.  You can break this cycle by telling them to eat 1500 calories for the day.

The electrolyzers are about 10 times as efficient at converting water to oxygen and don't require algae.  My dupes spent all their time caring for the algae terrariums before I researched the electrolyzers.  Slime and algae are also difficult to maintain for the benefit.  1 electrolyzer comfortably supports 8 dupes, I'm going to try and increase my colony size to 16 with 2.

I've tried to keep my base as compact as possible by keeping equipment and areas I don't need to access regularly behind airlocks.  This has helped to keep oxygen pressure high in the main part of the base.  I've got a pit for trapping CO2 with a scrubber and hydrogen engines at the top of my base.  The left portion was originally used for biodistillers but is now mostly empty.  Further left outside of the image, there is a network of tunnels to funnel contaminated water into a single reservoir.

The game has been running very well, no crashes or major bugs.  I've got 3 suggestions:

1) Ability to graph resources and see how supplies are changing over time.

2) Ability to view a device's stats (power consumed, oxygen produced, etc) for the last cycle in it's information.

3) More information about a device available before it is built (required connections, potential input/output performance)

Loving the game, keep it up!

oxygen not included base cycle 54.png

I think it's time to retire this colony. I was doing pretty well until I saw a puft all the way at the top and focused all my time trying to lure it down into my base by placing deodorizers near it so it was forced into my stinky base.

Sadly, I don't know what happened to the puft after a while =[. I wasn't able to build around it quickly enough to trap it. I'm guessing I tried to harvest my plants and accidentally tagged the poor puft for destruction.

On the bottom right is where I lured destructive duplicants into an underground massage and deconstructed the ladder back up so they would starve there. It attracted lots of morbs and created more contaminated oxygen for the puft. I've turned into a monster! I tried to play it legitimately at first until things started getting crazy. I went all the way down to one duplicant, and now back up to 9 since I just accept any new ones and ignore their need for beds and bathrooms. If they're all destructive, I just pick one and put his/her calorie intake to zero x_x.

Probably wouldn't build a shower or deep fryer next round (even though their cooking dance is super cute) since stress doesn't seem to be that bad right now, at least for the vomiters. Also, would stop using the microbe musher after I'm able to plant the meal worms to conserve water (like el_dawg). Will try using airlocks next time so all the gasses don't go willy nilly everywhere.

Overall, a very fun game! I'm excited to see what they do next with it =].

ONI_deathbymassage2.jpg

My colony was called the Not-So Perfect Trainwreck is my third colony. I have amassed around 30 duplicants before things started to go downhill around 90 cycles. The base is decorated with paintings and statues everywhere, so stress was previously not a major issue.

20170221022615_1.jpg

We have run dry on clean water once we ran out of power and sand to filter contaminated water. There's plenty of contaminated water above, so all we had to do was dig up for more when we ran low.

20170221022745_1.jpg

The base ran on mostly coal power. I have tried out hydrogen generators at one point, but it ran out too quickly to be a reliable power source. Because of duplicants panicking, they refused to power the coal generators that could've saved their lives. In the end, all my dupes have starved to death.

20170221022659_1.jpg

Great stories and builds here!  

Myself, I've made it to cycle 60 (with 5 dupes) after about 12 tries.

I've researched everything, so now everything's at my disposal to try and keep this base running.  

These are the balance issues I ran into:

• Bio Distiller doesn't produce enough Algae to make it worth the trouble.  I thought "now, I'll be able to really keep my air clean!" Not even enough to keep two Algae Deoxydizer's running. Also, what it does produce is just deposited on the floor, making the atmosphere toxic - something else to try and keep clean.
  • Water Purifier doesn't produce enough clean water to make it worth the trouble in my experience.  You'd have to have several of these running - if you had the time and contaminated water available.
  • Air Scrubber doesn't produce enough clean air to make it worth the trouble.  It also sits there most of the time with "empty pipe" doing nothing and no reason why.
  • By the end it was non-stop puking, contaminating everything, with no oxygen left, so that's where I laid it to rest.

Well, off to my next build!

Thanks to everyone for posting pictures of their bases. I got some great ideas. Here's my latest base, which is the furthest cycle I've gotten so far. Everything seems to be pretty stable as long as I keep managing stress through the massage tables. I have a lot of coal and sand, so I think I could go another 40 cycles before power and clean water start to become an issue.

ONI01.jpg

ONI02.jpg

1 hour ago, Talhante said:

This bug bothered me the whole match. What's up with the showers?

I think what is happening with your showers is that as soon as someone starts using the shower, it starts outputting contaminated water as you know, but with the way you setup the output piping makes it take a merger/corner immediately after the shower. Because the piping system is really pretty strange currently, it takes time to take this merger/turn and thus the shower cannot output more contaminated water into pipe when needed, as the pipe is just to slow at the intersection, and goes out of service. Your duplicate is forced to leave the shower and will take the next one, but here the same problem will happen.

So drag your pipes down a little bit (I have mine at 4 tiles) before merging/turning and that hopefully fixes it.

Having said that I really like your cross! You are utilizing the electrolizers in the correct way I think, ensuring air flow with pressure. The whole piping and wiring is pleasing to the eye :) If you want to be less reliant on sand, look into the steam setup ;) I would advice some batteries and a hydrogen generator inside a room, and be sure to have them below and not in the water, as they will stop working with too much water.

57 minutes ago, Radje said:

I think what is happening with your showers is that as soon as someone starts using the shower, it starts outputting contaminated water as you know, but with the way you setup the output piping makes it take a merger/corner immediately after the shower. Because the piping system is really pretty strange currently, it takes time to take this merger/turn and thus the shower cannot output more contaminated water into pipe when needed, as the pipe is just to slow at the intersection, and goes out of service. Your duplicate is forced to leave the shower and will take the next one, but here the same problem will happen.

So drag your pipes down a little bit (I have mine at 4 tiles) before merging/turning and that hopefully fixes it.

Having said that I really like your cross! You are utilizing the electrolizers in the correct way I think, ensuring air flow with pressure. The whole piping and wiring is pleasing to the eye :) If you want to be less reliant on sand, look into the steam setup ;) I would advice some batteries and a hydrogen generator inside a room, and be sure to have them below and not in the water, as they will stop working with too much water.

You are right about the pipes! Thanks man!

You're not the first person to talk about steam method. I'm working on a way to make this method effective. Thank you for the tips!

Hi there, this is my 3rd attempt at building a base while the first being rather improvised and lasted only 20-30 cycles, the second one up to 50-55 cycles before I gave up filtering the hydrogen. I could make this base a bit more clean, but can self-sustain for a while except having to farm for coal and new water resources (currently have 2 while one being almost empty).

I had so much fun for just an alpha version, but really hope that it will get the same treatment as Don't starve (still playing DST from time to time with some friends).

0b69cd6d902e4ad8ad79a080d6d81567.png

I'm excavating tunnels to gather all the contaminated water I can, It's seens like as soon as I run out of sand my dupes will die... I was in hope that I could find another place to set up a second base in the map, but it's hostile everywhere I go. Mine base is not as neat as the others, but it's keeping everyone alive. =)

It's would be amazing things like mining cart and some sort of gas mask... maybe also find colonies of aliens and fight to get control of their goods and tech.8279BB0638D62923FBDFC3516FD741EB2BC72153

20170224223329_1.jpg

I definitely need a lot more algae to get this base even remotely upright. I had to jettison the basement (the 4 graves at the bottom) when it was sucking up too much power with little use. The electrolizers were not worth the hassle, at least not at the moment. (No advance filtration to really do much)

Other than that, its functioning, more or less.

7 minutes ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

Running out of water... Seeing all this awesome bases makes me fell a little ashamed to post mine here...

I'm not surprised your're running low on water. You're using algae terrariums completely wrong. They're only supposed to get rid of exhaled CO2, not as a constant source of O2. 1 algae terrarium per 3-4 dupes is plenty to get the job done.

Here's my totally work in progress real-game mode only base. As opposed to debug mode and save scrumming.

Still running a pure O2 base at cycle 115. Still got a fair amount of water in two separate fool-proof water tanks built of granite tiles. And plenty more around the base. The one in the middle is a reserve tank.

CO2 from the coal generator is kept out of the base by a water lock, I use the highly pressurized CO2 to push contaminated towards my domesticated Puft at my outhouse.

Outer wall 3 tiles thick with abyssalite thermal tiles on the outside and granite tiles inside. Sandstone in the middle.

Still plenty of work to be done but looking decent so far I reckon.

2017-02-24 (2).png

2017-02-24 (4).png

2017-02-24 (3).png

2017-02-24 (5).png

Archived