Show Us Your Colony

2 minutes ago, Tyreth said:

I have quite a lot of contaminated water around. If you look to the right in the pic you see some that is being pumped to my 4 water purifiers. That is enough to make a surplus actually.

I would suggest moving/covering your clear water storage though if you have vomiting duplicates - there seems to be some kinds of bug when vomit hits clean water by "consuming" it.

Also has anyone encountered problem with water pumps using electricity and showing animation, but not pumping any liquid if liquid levels are too low (say if clean water being dumped in container after it was cleaned, and container water levels are too low)?

2 minutes ago, G4MR said:

Trying to game the system with CO2>O2>H2 in mind. Gas tiles are nice

I love Hydrogen generators but it seems like power it produces needs to be adjusted a bit:

one gas pump does not run constantly, even if its is completely submerged in hydrogen it pumps once and stops saying there is not enough hydrogen, so to keep one hydrogen generator you need 3-4 of the pumps

3 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

I love Hydrogen generators but it seems like power it produces needs to be adjusted a bit:

one gas pump does not run constantly, even if its is completely submerged in hydrogen it pumps once and stops saying there is not enough hydrogen, so to keep one hydrogen generator you need 3-4 of the pumps

think you may have responded to the wrong post :D

1 hour ago, artemiyME said:

Didn't you say you were going to be generating hydrogen? ("C02-O3-H2")

no, i said I was going to take advantage of the gas density by trying to abuse gas tiles.and building wide early and then tall mid/late game

Hope I'm not spamming here too much, just improving so fast after seeing what a great solutions some of ye have done!

Got Puft roaming my base & thanks to that got whole: "ToxicOxygen->Slime->Algae&ToxicWater->CleanWater" process going on!

4444ONI4.png

I got already 28 hours, someone send help!!!

Here's my cycle 36 base. Currently, it is extremely efficient. However, I've been having problems with keeping my dupes busy. They all tend to go idle if I don't always try to work them to death. Yikes.

Also, gas pressure was pretty trashy since I was using an air scrubber at the bottom of my base. It completely removes the CO2, and therefore decrease gas pressure. I replaced them with algae terrarium instead. 

Untitled.png

This is my first colony, that I had abandoned on cycle 12 due to me digging into to many places I shouldn't have. But after I played a bit with a 2nd colony and read some posts on this forum, I decided to give the 1st colony an other shot as it does have a great amount of contaminated water and failure is only complete when everyone is dead and new ones can't pick up the slack.

As of cycle 46 I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and hope to be able to share some tips and ideas.

Cycle 46 Main.jpg

This is the main part of the base. Please don't mind the storage boxes all over the place... It got out of hand fast and after the initial row of boxes that are sorted, the only box that is sorted is the one in the top right of the picture with the distillers. This one holds all of the contaminated stuff and slime that produce toxic gasses. There is a small air cleaner next to it that instantly takes care of the gasses.

Having the holes for the ladders be 3 wide helps a ton with the gas flow and helps to cut down on the amount of gas permit-able tiles used. It also looks nice and not too cramped I think. Gas management is important but relative easy once you understand that in terms of gas layers you will naturally get : Hydrogen > Contaminated O2 > O2 > Chlorine > Co2 , but only as long as you make sure gasses can flow.

The reason I have so many planters is that my duplicates are just strait up eating the mealwood, no cooking involved whatsoever. The food is also getting stored in ration boxes instead of fridges. They seem to be completely fine with eating it raw and I have yet to get a sick duplicate (I did have one, but he actually ate a mush bar in the time I still made them). Fridges don't seem to be necessary this way as the food spoilage works like in Don't Starve; stacks get fresher when fresh food is added. Not cooking drastically reduced the amount of water used, which is great because water combined with sand is what keeps a base running in the end.

On the right is the water filtration system that just got finished a couple of cycles ago and will be important for the base to keep running. I highly recommend making one asap after you have the food sorted out. The main idea is running the contaminated water through the filters and into the clean water tank. Clean water is essential for long term oxygen and power supplies. However, next to the finite water pools, the issue in this setup is that as soon as you run out of sand the game is over.

The oxygen is being produced by the hydrogen ones, using water our filtration system. This seems to be the most efficient use of water for oxygen production. It also has benefit with the hydrogen by product that is currently powering the base. After I've taken care of the gas mess that is currently ongoing (more on that in a bit) I want to spread out the oxygen generators a bit more for better gas flow. I do have a couple algae generators on stand-by in the case I need them. They also might be useful later on if I manage to get buried in slime, but later on that.

I isolated the batteries and coal generators (which are not running currently) inside insulated rooms to make sure their heat production doesn't spoil into my base and harm the crops. The coal generator room will get a way to dispose the Co2 it will create in the future.

Cycle 46 Top.jpg

This is the top part of the base currently. Hydrogen will naturally flow here and be processed into power. The pump and generator on the left will move eventually after the hydrogen/Co2 battle up here is over. As you can see (I will add a gas overlay later) there is a quiet large pocket of Co2 right above my base. It contains a lot of copper and coal while also hindering my upward expansion into making a better hydrogen collection point, so it had to go. I just recently dug into it and am now waiting till the gasses have naturally flown. My people will get quiet some Co2 exposure during the process, but they should be fine, I hope?

On the right you can see a small room with a puft inside. I'm not entirely sure how he works, but it turns contaminated oxygen into slime. Which could be a good way of getting rid of the contaminated oxygen while providing lime/algae at the same time. Once this room is finished I tend to find out what gasses this creature likes and which it might not like.

Cycle 46 Bottom.jpg

This is the bottom part where all the Co2 naturally flows towards and gets destroyed by the scrubber. I intend to make this a closed of section which will hopefully help me with the air pressure. Here are also some of the contaminated water/oxygen pockets that will be dug into soon. Trying to figure out what to do with all the chlorine, probably pump it into 1 big room eventually?

Cycle 46 Top Gas.jpg
Cycle 46 Bottom Gas.jpg

Here we can see the battle of the gasses in the top part of the base. The idea is that hydrogen will collect itself in the top/middle of the base in a pyramid shape and be turned into power. For this to happen the Co2 needs to make its way all the way down through the sleeping quarters, nice! I also need to dig out the area under the coal generators to let the Co2 flow to its designated spot, while being careful with the yellow pocket there.

The contaminated oxygen is currently kept in check by the use of 1 air refresher at the sleeping area, 1 at the eating area and the one at the distillers. I hope to change this later with the of the puft and a filtration system to cut down on sand usage.

Reading all of the great stories and tips in this thread I've blown full life into this at first hopeless colony and hope to last for quiet a while. This post turned out quit a bit longer than expected, but I hope it helps someone on the way. Any feedback is appreciated and I hope you all enjoy this game as much as I do! It's just great!

fail.jpg

Almost made it to 100 cycles, but it's all about to explode. High stress means constant stress-relief. No power for the slime/algae. No algae to make oxygen. No oxygen increases stress... no time to make food... hunger makes stress. Never went above 3 Dupes.

Tower design with hydrolizers at top and main living rooms just under works well. Only need 1 constantly working water pump. (water pump -> water cleaner -> hydrolizers) Natural gas flow ftw! Just need to turn on from time to time pump to hydrogen generator at top and air scrubber at bottom.

100+ days with 8 dups without stresses and deaths. Sadly - sand on map is almost gone. :(

1.jpg

Well my base is not pretty at all in comparison to yours :D

I lost 3 dupes: 2 due to a tile traversal bug (They ended in tiles under the floor) and 1 that I buried alive (I didn't like him much).

Limiting factor will be sand I think, still running pretty well. I hit the left border of the map now expanding on top right.

Showers have a bug if you put two shower on the same water intake one shower won't work properly.

CropperCapture[5].png

Second dirty water tank:

CropperCapture[12].png

First one was on the left but cleared all water source until i hit the map wall.

So here's me at cycle 58, running pretty smoothly if you ignore my diminishing water supply. I made the mistake of not quarantining the hand sanitizers because I didn't realize they were the cause of my chlorine problem. I had thought it was leaking in from the top of the base, but I guess bleach(stone) is chlorine so I shoulda known better. (side note, why do the hand sanitizer stations have tongues?!)

20170219214728_1.jpg

In case you didn't notice yet, I have a pet! He is responsible for eating up my gigantic supply of sandstone and mass producing coal all day long because there's no naturally spawning tiles for him to run back into during the day. I use solely him to fuel both my coal generators and it's been working perfectly. I recommend you try out a "hatch farm" yourself if you haven't already.

20170219214722_1.jpg

But then a measly 5 days later, and my water supply is completely gone! This makes no sense to me whatsoever, as I have nothing consuming water that doesn't produce contaminated water which I filter. I haven't been using the electrolyzer for about 30 cycles so that wasn't it. Maybe the conversion rate of Contaminated H20 --> H20 is diminishing? Idk.

20170219221007_1.jpg

Here's my "extremely well planned out" plumbing system. Perhaps the complexity was too much for the game to handle and water just started disappearing?

20170219214738_1.jpg

Anyways, if you know why my water vanished when I wasn't really using it, I really want to know.

Base3Cycle102.JPG

Almost perfected my base, running for 100 cycles without any disasters whatsoever. One dupe died because he was entombed in a tile on the ground and I didn't dig him out in time. Few things to note:

• Im generating so much oxygen using the 14 algae terrariums with free light that it just naturally squeezes the CO2 down and down.
  • Running just on a single coal generator, one water filter, one water pump, and one algae distiller. (600W - 120W - 120W - 240W = 0W). No other power required.
  • I just let the coal generator be at priority 6 so the dupes only fill it up once in a while, but its ok since my batteries can last for days.
  • Full compactors of algae, slime, coal, and sand, none of them are even in danger of running out in 100 or 200 cycles. The only real bottleneck is water, since i was hesitant to break my 1-coal generator arrangement, then i realized that if i run on electrolyzer i don't need the algae distiller.
  • turned off my microbe musher after my farm produced more than enough licemeals without need for cooking (saved another 240W)
  • Extreme stress management. Masterpieces everywhere. Never had a dupe vomit or break things in 100 cycles.
  • Since I place all the materials close to where there are needed (algae box near algae), water near algae and cooking, my dupes has a lot of free time to dig, and I actually managed to deplete all the contaminated water on the top half of my map (dug all the way to the top edge). as shown below:

Water.JPG

So at cycle 100+ This is what my base looks like. I have a water filtartion system up and running. The last of my drainable contaminated water is in my dirty water reservoir. But I have a huge pocket under my base that I'm gonna pump up there.

4 toilets, 2 showers, 2 algie aquariums, 2 air scrubbers, 3 oxygen/hydrogen machines but im still making more water from mining than im using up.

I got a lucky spawn with tons of sand so im gonna run out of water long before sand I feel like.

Had some temperature issues with my food farms so im working on a cooling system for those. Also gonna make another hydrogen pocket on the left side of farms and connect both pockets above the farms for more pressure.

And add a ladder up to farms from middle of base so dupes dont have to run so far to get food.

Planning on doing more mining after all that is done to see more parts of the world and get more water.

The graves! Quite a few dupes are dead. I had to kill six of them myself when I had the food issues, and settled with the remaning twelve. A few died in mining accidents and 4 dupes died to explosion! Yes, if you have a wire in the open, and build a large battery aligned with that wire. It blows up oO

I went back to rat wheel power cos that seems to be the most reliable. Im out of coal but I have an emergency coal generator in case I find more. The hydrogen to power machine helps me out from time to time but not constantly.

20170220113249_1.jpg

My upper levels with bed, hydrogen , food and future cooling system.

20170220113301_1.jpg

Lower levels with dining areas, grave yard, water system and power.

20170220113317_1.jpg

My mining expedition for water. Dupes have worked hard to get all that done. Almost died and contracted several diseases.

20170220113333_1.jpg

This is where I killed my dupes. I' sorry.

I you want to see me work on this live have a look at my twitch channel below in the signature.

13 hours ago, UnclePotato2000 said:

So this is a goofy kind of save but it made me laugh. Thought I'd share it. 

20170219164509_1.jpg

Damn, Those statues are quite terrifying, they look like they are out of an horror movie

I can't stand  building them, this might be the only thing I don't like artistically in this game.

I wish to have more art choice in the future!

I just started this game today, my first time, so my colony is a little messy:

colony1.png

i've just managed to put in a proper toilet, and am finding it most useful to put algae oxygen makers everywhere. Got a few lice plants up. but finding that making fried mush bars keeps the hunger at bay, using coal as a recource for now with a wheel just in case.

colony2.png

Starting to mine a lot more down below, with more beds and algae O2 makers too, just need to start keeping the place decorated and everyone should be happy!

2 hours ago, McGuffin said:

Damn, Those statues are quite terrifying, they look like they are out of an horror movie

I can't stand  building them, this might be the only thing I don't like artistically in this game.

I wish to have more art choice in the future!

Yeah I don't really like the statues either. Plus the fact that they can never be masterpiece it seems so far makes them a bit disappointing. Maybe only so because the rest is really good, but it does stand out.

Hi all,

Here is my base on day 34. Everything is still doing well. :) Let's see how long it can go.

I was rushing for Electrodizer to produce oxygen more efficient than using algae with less water.

For the electricity, I put one Hydro pump on the top to consume generated Hydro from Electrodizer as by products. However, it produces not must power, so I add more manual power generator. I try to avoid using coal power.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

Archived